Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What?! Wow!!!

These ones are savoury, so I'm not so sure about the white sugar. (I could see that working with Zongzi with red bean paste though.) Sweet soy sauce, yes, that definitely would work in well with the other flavours.

What kind of batter?
Actually in Hong Kong and greater GuangZhou area they do eat savory Zhongzi with sugar. The batter can be anything, simple tempura batter works

Actually in Hong Kong and greater GuangZhou area they do eat savory Zhongzi with sugar.
I had no idea. This is suspiciously starting to sound like the Chinese version of a fried Mars bar ;)

The batter can be anything, simple tempura batter works
Ookaayyy… I have about eight or nine parcels left from the batch I made today. I might just give this a try tomorrow evening. Tempura batter it shall be.

It's on your head, though! ;)

Last edited:
Tonight!

Made Steamed Halibut. Did it with that ubiquitous Cantonese family favorite style.

Bowl of rice and I was good to go.

Attachments

• 390435E5-A1F2-42DD-9BBB-968716760EF2.jpeg
    390435E5-A1F2-42DD-9BBB-968716760EF2.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 55
OK, here we go, Zongzi take 2, with tempura batter and sweet soy sauce, with greens and oyster mushrooms:
IMG_2752.jpg

@Xenif: Thanks for telling me about this. This worked amazingly well! The crispiness of the batter creates a nice contrast with the gooey texture of the Zongzi, and the sweet soy sauce really works well with the other flavours.

More Sushi progress. Not perfect, but improving every time. Guess I should get some better looking plates for it now.

sushi1.jpg

The cucumber cutting takes some learning too :D

sushi2.jpg

News driven cookery. Thinking of France yesterday got me thinking of Jacques Pepin, which got me thinking of Chicken in mustard sauce :). Forgot to spoon a little extra mustard sauce on before taking the picture. So simple and so delicious.

fr1.jpg

Baking a mustard based sauce at 450 even managed to put a neat patina on the stainless pan.

fr2.jpg

Silkie Chicken in Chinese herbal soup. Cooked on table top hot pot style. Secret menu stuff. [emoji59] [emoji6]
_20190416_134527.jpeg
_20190416_134545.jpeg
_20190416_134612.jpeg

Vietnamese lemongrass porkchops.

Bashed all the ingredients in my mortar and pestle. My house smelled amazing. Quick one hour marinate and off to the grill.

BOOM! Served it family style with the wife.

Attachments

• F7D9C778-5A6F-4F37-9215-99D8650C9E99.jpeg
    F7D9C778-5A6F-4F37-9215-99D8650C9E99.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 64
News driven cookery. Thinking of France yesterday got me thinking of Jacques Pepin, which got me thinking of Chicken in mustard sauce :). Forgot to spoon a little extra mustard sauce on before taking the picture. So simple and so delicious.

View attachment 51830

Baking a mustard based sauce at 450 even managed to put a neat patina on the stainless pan.

View attachment 51831
Like!

These look awesome! Do you have a recipe? I'd love to try this!
Its pretty simple, fattier minced pork with rice wine, mince ginger, mince garlic, soya sauce, white pepper, sugar, add loads of chinese chives atleast a 1:1 ratio. If I do have one trick up my sleeves, its I add in tiny cubes of pure fat, it adds that texture that regular machine ground pork lacks. If you cant find chinese chives, its ramps season and they work very well.

For a crazy twist, add chorizo sausage (supplement half the pork) and deep fry serve with sour cream

For a posh twist, an entire morel mushroom in each pot sticker and use ramps instead

Its pretty simple, fattier minced pork with rice wine, mince ginger, mince garlic, soya sauce, white pepper, sugar, add loads of chinese chives atleast a 1:1 ratio.
Thank you, I'll be giving that a try! :)

Back