Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's annoying but at least food was good. How is the food release on that little beast?

It's very very good. Put the knife down the middle and two pieces fall to either side. No sticking on either blade face, except of course for onions and garlic, which do stick to anything.

Mine is pretty much similar to the one that Mr. Catcheside demoed on youtube. It will give you a nice impression of the release. Edge retention is great as well.

[video=youtube;6dCZIXpTRpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dCZIXpTRpI[/video]

Flat iron is also a very good and underrated cut. If you get a one with good marbling it can be very close to a good ribeye for a third of the price. Hangar and skirt are also great. Perks of working on a farm raising cattle and pigs is that I get to eat a lot of free meat.
Tip on steak buying- obviously look for good fat marbling in the meat itself, but large fat deposits on the outside edges mean that the cow didn't grow well at one point in its life and its muscle was underdeveloped. These will tend to have less range of flavor and tenderness and of course, you are getting less meat and more fat for your money.

Tri tip is often overlooked, especially depending on where you live. Treat it like a large steak and reverse sear. Delicious. I love a hanger steak when I can get them.

Tri tip is often overlooked, especially depending on where you live. Treat it like a large steak and reverse sear. Delicious. I love a hanger steak when I can get them.

We have been doing a lot of tri tip here lately. It was a crowd pleaser at a pot luck dinner recently - SV for six hours at 129 degrees, seared it and put it in the fridge. Sliced it the next day and served it cold with chimichurri. POW.

We have been doing a lot of tri tip here lately. It was a crowd pleaser at a pot luck dinner recently - SV for six hours at 129 degrees, seared it and put it in the fridge. Sliced it the next day and served it cold with chimichurri. POW.

Sounds about right to me.

St Louis spare ribs smoked over cherry. I did them uncovered for about 6 hours, then BBQ sauced, then seared. Pickled jalapeños, baked fries tossed with garlic oil, vinegar-based slaw with some Dijon.

IMG_0256.jpgIMG_0255.jpg

That should work - if not, there must be a reason why Rasam is considered a vegetarian's chicken soup, so that should be the next thing to try ;)

Currently sous vide-ing some lamb rump that I will serve with roasted lemon baby potatoes, celeriac puree, balsamic & mint jus, and a kale salad.

I'm thinking of getting sick so if it isn't too much to ask can you send some to SD ASAP! Good man - hope the significant other is feeling better / cyclone probably didn't help things! Hope you & yours escaped unscathed!

Thanks for the concern, it swung east of us and we avoided the worst of it.

Recipe as follows:

1/3 of a length of leek finely sliced
4 spring onions finely sliced, reserve some green stem slices for serving
Handful of mushrooms (any you like) small cubes
Ta Choy/bok choy/choy sum
Hokkien noodles
2 garlic cloves crushed
Thumb of ginger grated
tablespoon mirin
1 cup Dashi
3 cups Veg stock
Tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
Black sesame seeds and chili flakes to serve

Heat the oils over a moderate heat. Sweat the garlic, spring onion, leek and mushroom till the onions and leek are completely soft and translucent but without taking colour. Add ginger for last two minutes of the sweat.

Add your stock and bring to a slow mijote. Add precooked hokkien noodles, Chinese greens, mirin and any corrections to seasoning (I sometimes add brown sugar). Heat through.

Serve in preheated bowls with sesame seeds, chili flakes, maybe a soft-boiled egg if you're feeling fancy

IMHO the cheaper the cut of beef, the more actual beef flavor exists.

Brisket, Skirt Steak, Flank steak, London Broil - I always check those three first to see which is the best buy. Hangar steak is not really available here.

Badger and MB - Mmmmmm.... Looks yummy!

Yeah, the cheaper cuts often have great flavour and texture when treated right. I love beef cheeks, oxtail and shanks. Shoulder and oyster blade also. Beef cheeks and oxtail in particular impart a thickness to a braise's liquid which has a gorgeous texture and flavour. It's one of the few cuts that a really sharp suji won't go through in one stroke- lots of fibrous tissue. I assume that this dissolves into gelatine which is what produces the lovely thick fluid. I find that preparing it in a pressure cooker gives a clarity to the liquid (both in colour and flavour) which is very attractive.

That looks good Captain. If you're not scared of the little extra attention that cheaper cuts of steak require, I urge you to try Entrana or skirt steak. Cook it really rare, rest it and cut across the grain. Flavourbomb

It's quite hard to find skirt steak in Australia- apparently the restaurants snap it all up.

It's quite hard to find skirt steak in Australia- apparently the restaurants snap it all up.

It is quite plenty around here Nemo, skirt, flank, entraña, hanger. Just have to go to the right butcher.

I used 4 egg yolks, 1 white, pouring cream and light Greek yoghurt for the custard. Worked a treat to lighten it without sacrificing the wobble.

Thanks Cev, it came out nicely but I really need a shortcrust recipe. I used storebought that had been in the freezer too long and it detracted from what would otherwise have been a great afternoon in the kitchen.

fish.jpg
halibut cheeks, peas and carrots, sunchokes and some pickled spring garlic

Back