Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will be putting on a Boston Butt to slow cook over night this weekend, getting excited

will be putting on a Boston Butt to slow cook over night this weekend, getting excited

Put two on last night, currently @ 188... pulling in a few hours

20180502_105926.jpg

Risotto of aged carnaroli rice with garlic tomato confit. Topped with a drizzle of 20 year old balsamic.

28de66f6f9b28bf6d8c8.png

My risotto prefers gender neutral pronouns, specifically "it" or "they". Check your privilege.

Thanks, was indeed delicious and the consistency with these rice and a nice gelatinous chicken stock is always just so nice. Sadly it was the last of the rice I had, and the store that stocked them has shut down. I'll have to try and source more on the web.

Pretty sure FunkyLuxury was referring to that rice grain near the middle about 31 grains down from the top just to the left of that 'Isle of Man' shaped droplet of balsamic since (full disclosure - I'm not a gender rice grain expert) judging by those bumps just above the scutellum it definitely seems to be a female and one that looks especially yummy given it's age ... :razz:

My risotto prefers gender neutral pronouns, specifically "it" or "they". Check your privilege.

Thanks, was indeed delicious and the consistency with these rice and a nice gelatinous chicken stock is always just so nice. Sadly it was the last of the rice I had, and the store that stocked them has shut down. I'll have to try and source more on the web.

Nice article, although it sort of implies that the aging process was developed specifically by the Rondolinos.

It is not uncommon to find aged basmati rice for sale. The basic distinction between aged and fresher rices seems to be stickyness. At least that's what I gather from this (scientific) article where Japanese food technologists are trying to make aged rice more sticky by adding things to it... https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1271/bbb.70279

The intro says:

The taste of cooked rice is known to be related to textural factors such as hardness and stickiness. Because the texture of cooked rice that has been stored is generally hard and non-sticky as compared to that of fresh rice, Japanese people dislike cooked rice prepared from aged rice.

Many factors have been proposed as causing these changes in cooking properties: an increase in free fatty acids during storage and their inhibitory effect on the gelatinization of rice starch;2) changes in the physicochemical properties of the rice starch itself;3) and changes in the structure-maintaining components containing the cell wall.4)

In contrast, some investigators have specifically studied proteins associated with these changes, and have concluded that denatured proteins were associated with them.5) In short, the mechanisms responsible for these changes in aged rice have not yet been clarified. To mitigate the changes in cooked rice prepared from aged rice, various procedures have been attempted: the addition of rice vinegar or fruit juice to the cooking water;6) high-pressure treatment of the rice;7) enzymatic degradation of the cell wall;8) and removal of the external layer from the rice grains.9,10) A reducing agent, dithiothreitol (DTT), influences the texture of cooked rice and the gelatinization properties of rice flour.11,12) In addition, acetic acid produces a textural change through the dissolution of proteins.13)

We have reported that the texture of cooked rice prepared from aged rice was improved by the addition of sodium sulfite to the cooking water.10) We assumed that the textural changes in aged rice were in part attributable to the oxidation of proteins, but this assumption must be tested. In addition, the mechanism of the improvement due to reducing agents remains unknown. Hence we investigated the texture of cooked rice prepared from aged rice, stored with and without air. We also carefully investigated the textural changes in cooked rice prepared from aged rice due to the addition of sodium sulfite or reducing agents to the cooking water.

Based on these facts, not only the changes in rice grains which were soaked and heated, but also the behaviors of proteins were examined. We inferred the factors involved the textural changes in aged rice.

-------

It seems that in chopstick cuisines stickyness is good, while other cuisines favour separation of grains; aging improves separation.

I'm assuming that for a preparation like risotto, the extra dehydration of aged grains will also increase the opportunity to impart flavour into the cooked rice as it absorbs the cooking liquid.

Hahaha!

Awesome

Who'd have thought that NOS rice would become a thing... ;)
Silly question maybe, but can you just age rice at home when you buy it peeled, or does it have to be aged pre-processing?

My dad's birthday, so I made dinner for the family. Appetizer was hot langoustine bisque with dill and a seared scallop. Main was aged Finnish ribeye (the kind I've posted twice before, 57c sous vide, butter basted with garlic and thyme), with sauce bearnaise, boiled and buttered new potatoes, asparagus, and tomatoes dressed in salt, olive oil and old balsamic. The tomatoes are from a local farm and are insanely good. I could eat just a bowl of them straight. When they are that good, I don't want to do too much to them. Dessert is a chocolate walnut coffee tart.

1c7fdca32bba783932eb.png

899841ccd3d5bfcf1f84.png

c742e6424ba4684343f5.png

d908a4055bfd128c4a45.png

3bf27d7f0857378696e1.png

152f76862fd27a60e43a.png

Nice looking meal! How did you sear the rib eye, searing hot pan or torch or...?

Also if you wouldn't mind next time you swing by your butcher if you could ask whereas that meat is sourced in Finland... I have been searching high and low for steaks of that quality here and well anything close to that comes from Australia...

Scones. Fresh out of the oven. Bruno Albuoze recipe, frozen overnight, thawed, brushed with cream and sugar and baked for 20 min.

d78c3066d52509bffc14.png

d36b2b86ea0660e19331.png

1a8254906deb4a160e12.png

Foie Gras themed dinner was a hit. Here are some highlights:

Hands down favorite overall:
Strawberry-rhubarb tart in a lemon-oat crust, Portuguese gold flake infused honey, topped with foie gras gelato and 18 y.o. Balsamic drizzle. Gotta work on my plating game, that gelato should have been a perfect egg...was just too rushed at end of night and crowd was not waiting for everything to be served before digging in.
31947168_2105818979434797_5331850621198794752_o.jpg

Scallop seared in foie gras fat renderings with Tobiko
31945451_2106104809406214_1161023406359969792_o.jpg

Torchon of foie gras with slices of magret de canard, spring garlic and fennel puree, veal demi-glace port reduction, duck fat fried purple fingerling chips.
31913814_2105579396125422_4537497119883264000_o.jpg

Micro-greens salad with duck-fat fried fiddlehead ferns, grilled figs and a foie-gras vinaigrette
31945007_2105572462792782_5809883277267304448_o.jpg

My girl printed up a nice menu summarizing the whole meal, always a nice touch
31944696_2105554382794590_8549616286588469248_o.jpg

Wow Mille162,that is some mighty fine good looking stuff there now. Put that all in front of me and I would have thought I died and went to heaven.

Copying damage and made scones for my grandparents.

Triple chocolate(Belgium white, Lindt 90%and Lindt milk chocolate), Dehydrated Strawberries, Vanilla and Orange, 90 minute freeze, sugar and double cream on top.

ZdskmCn.jpg

iUGOdUz.jpg

Not the best pics but they turned out well. Was over zealous with the sugar and it created dark Caramel bits around the edges, happy accident.

Back