What's in store for your '24?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankly I view wifi and app interface as a mark against most appliances. Just one more failure point and one more app to harvest my data for sale.

I kinda forgot in my first daydreaming post I've got a wedding, honeymoon, and looming kitchen remodel myself that is going to really bite into knife budget.
Sounds like you can fix 2 problems at once by cancelling just 1 wedding. And save yourself from a future divorce to boot!

Agree on the wifi / app thing. Another issue is that you never know how long an app will work or be updated. And 'connected devices' are notorious for having poor security... I don't really care for having half of my kitchen becoming part of some Russian kid's bot network.

Nothing at the moment finishing up 2023 with a Mazaki 240 AS and trying to decide what to do with the Yoshikane Hamono 240 W2 SS the mazaki is replacing. But I still think about debas and maybe trying some ginsan

Last edited:
Nothing at the moment finishing up 2023 with a Mazika 240 AS and trying to decide what to do with the Yoshikane Hamono 240 W2 SS the mazika is replacing. But I still think about debas and maybe trying some ginsan

I like the “Mazika” too lol.

I'd love to try one of each of the ponies Kippington has in the stable. I'm curious as to the subtleties between the laser, workpony and workhorse.
Other than those, I've still got a long list of makers I'd like to try at some point.

My attention is generally turning away from Japanese makers. Of course there are still a bunch I'd like to try, but prices for ones I'd most like to get my hands on - Kato, Shig, Hashimoto - are in the stratosphere.

But I've gotten a few westerns this year and would like to see what else is down this rabbit hole. I'm super happy that I managed to snag one of the custom slots with Joel Black, but I'll be on the hunt for Yanick, Raquin, Kipp, Bidinger, etc. - you know, the ones everyone wants. Still pricey but seemingly more attainable?

The knife I'm actually most likely to pick up is a honesuki. I've never seen the need since whole chickens are generally so damn expensive here, but I've been seeing more lately that might actually make it worth breaking them down myself. And also it'd give me an excuse to learn a new skill.

I also tell myself I should get a small deba for filleting the panfish I catch each summer. But that would require me actually catching fish when I'm out at the lake... which I never do.

So instead of focusing on new knives, I should be to learning how to fish. And breaking down a bird. And getting better at sharpening. And polishing. But no natural stones - that's the rabbit hole my wallet needs least!

My initial plan is pretty short and easy but we will see
Cleaver from Hampus is currently being worked on, actually really cool to watch he is sending me videos of the process via instagram. 52100 Warikomi
Just got the call on a custom spot from Bidinger, he cut the knife out of A2 today and shared the profile, this should be done in January.
I have my stuff picked out with Mr. Kamon for some point hopefully by the end of the year.
Thats it for now....... Maybe my first natural stone?
Oh, sounds like you're getting your endgame collection is coming into shape.

2023 was a year of collecting and refining my tastes. I also started blacksmithing with the plan to move to some knifemaking. I started a beginner's blacksmithing program at a local forge and signed up for a knife forging class from a local JS. I got sick the day of the knife making class and I broke my right hand at Thanksgiving. 2024 is the year of the Dragon, so I have some high expectations.

So 2024:

1. Thin my collection.
2. Be a better sharpener
3. Quit buying so many knives and get a belt grinder and better forge.
4. Get my home shop built and going.
5. Start renovation at my house.
6. Pull hair out.
7. Reevaluate decisions and make a 2025 list.

Cleavers are the last unexplored frontier for me. I'm a fan of the tall nakiris, and I quite enjoy my only true cleaver (Chopper King) but I'm kinda saving that phase of rabbit hole till later.
It is with an incredibly deep sigh and no small amount of annoyance for my finances...I think I may have been a cleaver guy all along after trying a Sugimoto. Guess that colors this year more clearly. Suppose I need to up my sock game.

20231229_224135.jpg

I did not cut on the plate

Last edited:
A couple more Yoshitaka Yamada, Hiromune Takaba, Yoshihiko Akitomo and possibly a togashi honyaki.

My saga of searching for unicorns has finally ended, unfortunately- in the process, I deemed that shigefusa knives and I will never mend. Got everything else I was after though. I finally found what I like.

Finally time to take the plunge and do some thinning/polishing. I only have nice knives so gotta pick up a polishing mule too to learn a bit.

Last edited:
It is with an incredibly deep sigh and no small amount of annoyance for my finances...I think I may have been a cleaver guy all along after trying a Sugimoto. Guess that colors this year more clearly.
Welcome to Club Cleaver!

I know the feeling, and I mean that literally. After about 4 years of using my Dexter cleaver for almost everything, I sprung for a Sugimoto No. 6, and was absolutely blown away. It was as though its every characteristic were already imprinted in my mind, and my hand was just waiting for it to show up and breathe reality into that ghost image.

It is with an incredibly deep sigh and no small amount of annoyance for my finances...I think I may have been a cleaver guy all along after trying a Sugimoto. Guess that colors this year more clearly. Suppose I need to up my sock game.

View attachment 290248

I did not cut on the plate
The deal on Amazon was just too good to pass up. It really is an amazing knife.

Will be thinning the herd of knives that are great but are at a lower price point than some knives I was really fortunate to grab this year.

Have some customs on the way, will be looking to make this the year of hand polishing and fingerstones.

Just gotta deliver child #2 first….she was due yesterday but has her own agenda 😂

Back