What's so special about the Carter-Stanley method?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I came across the playlist on Murray Carter's YouTube channel: The Carter-Stanley Method of Sharpening.

I was intrigued, since obviously Murray is one of the top knifemakers and sharpeners in the west. Funny enough, it includes to psalms, don't ask me how that happened:

Psalms.jpg

But anyways. I watched some of it and it left me somewhat puzzled. I mean, it seems like a good way to compile and present the established knowledge about sharpening. A sharpening noob can certainly benefit from watching how they do it. If the Nano Hone system is worth it, I can't judge. Seems well-made, but a tad expensive perhaps. It's certainly nice that you can attach your own stone to the plates and that the mounting system allows to use the stones up until the last milimeter. But both of that isn't new either. Probably the stones are really well-made, so why not.

Anyways - what I didn't find is anything particularly new or special about this method. I mean, if you put something out and say this is my method, hence I'm naming it after me (us), that usually entails an approach that brings some considerable innovations to the table.

Have I overlooked something or does the Cater-Stanley method effectively mean using the Nano Hone system for sharpening as it is well-established? Where exactly is the innovation part?

Last edited:
I honestly haven't seen this series but it's a bit unfortunate that it somewhat overshadows his older sharpening tutorials that were IMO some of the best around. Ironically of his strengths there was a focus on 'technique over stones'...

I watched one video where Carter and some other old guy were outside wearing Japanese robes while sharpening.

Here’s the unique features of the system:
  1. If you’re a white guy, wear a Japanese robe so people mock you
  2. Scratch the hell out of the knife’s surface doing a few maintenance thinning passes on a low grit diamond stone so it looks like it got dragged behind a car
  3. Do a lame repair of the scratches on a higher grit stone so it looks like you took an orbital sander to it after dragging it
  4. Actually sharpen the edge
  5. Proudly display your now sharp but horribly defaced knife
  6. Snap a photo to show the other old folks in the home 20 years later so they can mock you

You also have the famous JPO method.
You rub steel on a rock.
Done..

The Nanohone friable-bond stones are respectable. They are good. I sold mine, because I never wanted to reach for them, what with all the Shaptons and other stuff I have around, but they are good stones.

The Nanohone "system" seems pointless to me. Why not just get a normal stone holder? The best one I know of, the Kasfly, is expensive, but less so than the Nanohone equivalent.

On the other hand, I can't say enough good things about the NL-10.

I honestly haven't seen this series but it's a bit unfortunate that it somewhat overshadows his older sharpening tutorials that were IMO some of the best around. Ironically of his strengths there was a focus on 'technique over stones'...

agreed. i can't remember what it's called, but iirc, carter made a sharpening dvd. it can probably be found on youtube.
that's his best sharpening content.

his "new" technique with the nanohone tutorial playlist is fine, but it's less in depth than that old dvd. i don't think there's enough info in there to actually teach it. doesn't hurt as a stating point, though.

haha @ the bible stuff in the playlist

i guess you could turn a bible into a stone base, idk

I just can’t ever imagine spending $600 on a flattening plate. Sure it might last forever, but I think I’d rather buy 8 atomas in my lifetime.
Mine was cheaper than that, but not cheap.

It's not really about how long it lasts. That's an advantage, sure, but it's not why I love it. I love it because it does not suction-stick to the stone, at all, ever. I also like the heavy weight of it.

Mine was cheaper than that, but not cheap.

It's not really about how long it lasts. That's an advantage, sure, but it's not why I love it. I love it because it does not suction-stick to the stone, at all, ever. I also like the heavy weight of it.
Have to agree 100% here. Got mine on discount a while back and still the best lapping plates I’ve ever used. Nothing comes close to be honest and it cuts anything you throw at it even really tough stuff like Arkansas stones, Washita etc… or other stuff that Atomas really slow down on. I mean yeah you can use glass plate and sic powder or whatever but if you have the means the nl 10 is amazing in every respect.

I have a muteki and a master smith from Murray I LOVE, it cuts very well and it's gorgeous. At the same time, I do believe a lot of the stuff he says is a bit...misleading. Was going to say nonsense but that's not exactly true. There is a lot of Jargon that would impress some of the lesser informed. I have a feeling the same stuff is going on here. I remember watching the videos about the method when it came out and thinking the same thing.

I can't say enough good things about the NL-10
it’s kind of incredible
it might last forever
the nl 10 is amazing in every respect

Nano-Hone:
Our Button Plate Designs can be recalibrated many times over the life of the product
But…
How? By whom? At home with SiC on a granite? Do you send it back to Nanohone so they can run it under a surface grinder or face mill?
And when would you know it’s time? When performance reduces, I suppose, but objectively?

Last edited:
I've watched some of the videos, and the main difference I saw in Carter's sharpening compared to previous videos was the "joining/jointing"(don't really remember what it's called) of the edge at the end to remove the foil burr.

You nailed it :) ! It just looks so desperate in an attempt to bring "authenticity" that it creates the opposite effect, for me at least.

FWIW, I have huge respect for Carter as a craftsman, and I also think it would be difficult to overstate, whether one likes him or not, the importance and impact he's had when it comes to general interest in Japanese knives and freehand sharpening.

I can see the benefits of the method. If I had one less expensive knife and wanted 100% performance at all times. The problem is I want my knives to look nice. I sharpen as needed but only the edge, I want to keep it looking nice. If performance starts to suffer I will do a full thinning and refinish of the blade and start the process over. I cant believe anyone would by one of his knives and immediately start using this method. Maybe just his standard line but certainly not a mastersmith, Damascus etc.

Nano-Hone:

But…

And when would you know it’s time? When performance reduces, I suppose, but objectively?
Yeah, you send it back and they use serious machinery on it.

Their standard of flatness for the NL-10 is very high, much higher than my stone flatness requirements. I really wonder whether I will ever bother with recalibration.

i can't remember what it's called, but iirc, carter made a sharpening dvd. it can probably be found on youtube.
that's his best sharpening content.
For completeness' sake: Yes, they're on YouTube, or you can donate 5 USD to download from Murray's site. The links also have the free YT video:

https://www.cartercutlery.com/knives/videos-and-books/blade-sharpening-fundamentals/https://www.cartercutlery.com/knives/videos-and-books/advanced-blade-sharpening-techniques/

Learned finger pad pressure behind edge Japanese style sharpening in 1982 around same time got my first carbon Masamoto.
After that had some of sharpest knives in the Hotel kitchen. Taught cooks at work how to get knives sharp. Used a Xtra large King 1000 for gyuto. Yanagiba used 5K stone. Bought my first Yanagiba from Korin. Ordered Chihàru Sugai's The Chef's Edge from Korin around 2003.

Joined kitchen knife forums & bought The Art of Knife Sharpening Basics by Dave Martell. Also Murray Carter's Advanced Blade Sharpening Techniques.

When retired volunteered to come in & teach beginning culinary students how to sharpen knives. Did that for over 6 years teaching most of staff teachers too. Used own technique to make it easier to learn for for beginners.

IMG_20221109_202125442_BURST001.jpg

I watched one video where Carter and some other old guy were outside wearing Japanese robes while sharpening.

Here’s the unique features of the system:
  2. Scratch the hell out of the knife’s surface doing a few maintenance thinning passes on a low grit diamond stone so it looks like it got dragged behind a car
  3. Do a lame repair of the scratches on a higher grit stone so it looks like you took an orbital sander to it after dragging it
  4. Actually sharpen the edge
  5. Proudly display your now sharp but horribly defaced knife
  6. Snap a photo to show the other old folks in the home 20 years later so they can mock you
The Japanese bathrobes might look a bit funny (where's a hippy shouting cultural appropriation when you need one), but he did actually apprentice in Japan...

Tom Cruise the only survivor in battle to get the girl give me a brake pure Hollywood.

Yoji Yamada's The Twilight Samurai came out around same time much better movie.

Back