What's your favorite slicer for a Standing Rib Roast?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Alright, just found our that my brother's picking up an 8 lb standing rib roast for our family Xmas supper—and I've been assigned the honor of cooking that glorious hunk of beef.

I'm trying to decide which slicer to bring in in my travel roll—from my very limited suji bevy—not planning on buying another just for the occasion—a 300mm+ won't fit in my knife roll. My choices are:
270 Takada, suji, b1
270 Mazaki, suji, w2
270 Y Tanaka, suji, w2
270 Watanabe, gyuto, b2

Leaning towards the Maz or Takada.

What's your favorite slicer for a Standing Rib Roast?

My most used 270mm suji is Dalman AEB-L s-grind. Love that beast.

I used to own a Tsourkan scimitar, which would’ve probably been my choice (just because I rarely get to use it as a home cook living in NYC).

My most used 270mm suji is Dalman AEB-L s-grind. Love that beast.

I used to own a Tsourkan scimitar, which would’ve probably been my choice (just because I rarely get to use it as a home cook living in NYC).

I'm also in NYC (Brooklyn), do bring out the slicers for supper parties, but rarely, very rarely do anything as big as a standing rib roast. Tsourkans are wonderful, had two, kept one; Dalman's been on my want list, but always too slow with site listings.

I've done rib roasts the past couple of years. Longer is better, and I'd pick a more rigid knife over something flexible. I used a Gihei Blue 240 gyuto, which felt nice, but was too short. Currently in the process of making a 360mm slicer for prime rib and briskets.

From the choices presented, I'd probably go with the Mazaki or the Watanabe

I love my Ashi Ginga 300 -- time for a bigger roll!

But more seriously, I agree about blade stiffness and would go with the Mazaki.

Cheers. I'd love a 300, but sadly wouldn't fit my knife roll, nor my suitcase—and I'd likely only use it for travel, so the 275mm edge length is the most i can muster at this point.

I would think a 10-inch would work for an 8-pound piece of meat. I sliced a large ham a week ago that I could of used a 12-inch knife.

My 300mm AS Anryu. I know it’s too long for you, but its main virtues are that it’s rigid and that it has enough weight to do most of the work for you. I also have a 240 Yoshihiro kiritsuke/gyuto (it’s super flat in profile, more of a kiritsuke than most K-tip gyutos) and it has similar virtues. Go for something weighty and stiff. Lasers are for fish and poultry.

Though my 300 Takeda is pretty baller on rib roasts. It’s thin but insanely forward balanced and has minimal flex. I think it’s probably a better beef slicer than a Takeda suji would be. Stiffer and weightier. Just right.

I'm a home cook who likes to make roasts. I haven't done beef for a while due to prices, but for pork or lamb:
270 mazaki gyuto > flat 250 gyutos > flat 240 gyutos > 270 toyama suji. I like very flat, heavy knives for trying to get thin even slices in firm red meat.

If the 270 maz suji is heavy, I would try that or the wat gyuto.

Though the more important thing is how you're going to cook the meat 😂. Are you doing reverse sear? Make sure to bring a thermometer you trust!

If your Mazaki Sujiiki is anyting like my Mazaki Gyuto, I'd use that.

My favorit at the moment is Wakui Sujihiki 240mm Blue #2 (A little short in this case maybe) but I haven't have time to try my new Takada no Hamono Blue #1 Suiboku Sujihiki 300mm.

11245EE1-307A-4CEB-A8C3-15D07B1C3FB3.jpeg

Sujihiki from Mert Tansu. Arrived this week. Damascus SG2 270mm. Sweet.

I'm a home cook who likes to make roasts. I haven't done beef for a while due to prices, but for pork or lamb:
270 mazaki gyuto > flat 250 gyutos > flat 240 gyutos > 270 toyama suji. I like very flat, heavy knives for trying to get thin even slices in firm red meat.

If the 270 maz suji is heavy, I would try that or the wat gyuto.

Though the more important thing is how you're going to cook the meat 😂. Are you doing reverse sear? Make sure to bring a thermometer you trust!
Not doing a reverse sear for the 8lb rib roast; bringing my thermopen dot.

Back