What's your favourite knife brand/maker and why?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favorites today, Japanese Toyama and western Kippington.

A very underrated part of why we like certain makers.
Its interesting how that works though. Shihan apprenticed with Hiroshi Ashi for 2 years and get's kudos, yet Mazaki worked under Kiyoshi Kato but doesn't get the same respect. I guess ultimately its mostly down to the final product and less the story. Will Catcheside studied metallurgy at college level and for this he gets bonus points from my perspective.

Its interesting how that works though. Shihan apprenticed with Hiroshi Ashi for 2 years and get's kudos, yet Mazaki worked under Kiyoshi Kato but doesn't get the same respect. I guess ultimately its mostly down to the final product and less the story. Will Catcheside studied metallurgy at college level and for this he gets bonus points from my perspective.
:confused: Which forum have you been using? Catchside and Mazaki both have received mountains of praise?

:confused: Which forum have you been using? Catchside and Mazaki both have received mountains of praise?
Not critiquing Catcheside. All the praise he gets is well deserved. I'm just saying the fact he studied metallurgy gives his work more weight from the perspective of an organic chemist (me).

You lost me at some point there Haydn.
I only meant that the story is a part of what makes us like a maker, definitely not enough on its own to sway us. And different stories motivate different people. I'm not particularly attracted by either Mazaki's or Shihan's but for me two years in someone's workshop and a few days here and there are two vastly different concepts.

I've also been underwhelmed by the couple Mazaki I tried so that definitely was the deciding factor knocking him off my list.

Catcheside's knives kind of stand out for me. If you looked at photos of the choil and distal taper you really wouldn't expect much, but when you hold one in your hand everything just works well.

a maker's training background is extremely important in my book. which is kind of why ive gravitated back to all old school traditional j@p makers.

**side note, why tf is j@p censored??

Amusingly there's a Japanese slur that is not censored....

Not critiquing Catcheside. All the praise he gets is well deserved. I'm just saying the fact he studied metallurgy gives his work more weight from the perspective of an organic chemist (me).

That appeals to me too, although who knows if it makes much of an actual difference. His steel is badass, though. His 1.2442 was probably my favorite so far. Looking forward to the incoming sc125 (kinda like white #1, I hear) at 65-66 hrc from ashy.

Favorites today, Japanese Toyama and western Kippington.

Btw, do you call yourself `western', @Kippington?

Everything from handle to grind to KU finish to the way the steel is treated. I also just like shihan and his story.
I've read positive comments about shihan work and ordered a custom from him. I was suprised that the waiting time is only a few months. The KU finish looks great from the photos.

The petty I had briefly was so beautiful and the steel seemed great, although I didn't use it much. Owning it made me realize that I like my 150 petties tall and laserish, though, and that one was the complete opposite. (I also went into a pre-christmas "why do I have so many fancy knives" funk, which contributed to the sale....)

Last edited:
Think it's Bryan Raquin. Love the guy, love the knives. I have a Gyuto 255 from him. Everlasting razor sharp blade, lovely grind, seems indestructible yet very good sensation in the kitchen. I'm not a pro, just a home cook who loves knives.
I have other knives that I use because I'm a Knife guy, but if I had to pick just one to keep in the kitchen, that would be this one.
And if I could just keep too, it will be this one and a small wharncliff blade i have from him for all purposes.
(I'm French Btw)

Pics of said Mario? :D
6CF49E18-E1D0-4C1A-8248-EBB78D54D98B.png

In what world is shihan hyped more than mazaki? It's not like Shihan is unknown but the thread about mazaki knives is almost 1300 posts long and doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I hear so much about that knife im genuinely sick of it. How exactly is it underrated?

In what world is shihan hyped more than mazaki? It's not like Shihan is unknown but the thread about mazaki knives is almost 1300 posts long and doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I hear so much about that knife im genuinely sick of it. How exactly is it underrated?
I think there is some miss-interpretion of what I said. I will say Mazaki has never appealed to me as a maker, even with the Kato connection.
I'm looking at a general consensus from reading threads and users hands on experiences. I don't think I've read any critical views from people who have actually tried a Shihan. From what I see Shihan is flying under the radar, but is getting a LOT of respect from people who's experience and knowledge I respect, based on communications via PM and reading posts. However Mazaki gets knocked a lot. Fact there are 1300 posts in a thread is a little irrelevant. What I do take note of, is the number of Maz'es getting flipped in the BST forum. YMMV

I think there is some miss-interpretion of what I said. I will say Mazaki has never appealed to me as a maker, even with the Kato connection.
I'm looking at a general consensus from reading threads and users hands on experiences. I don't think I've read any critical views from people who have actually tried a Shihan. From what I see Shihan is flying under the radar, but is getting a LOT of respect from people who's experience and knowledge I respect, based on communications via PM and reading posts. However Mazaki gets knocked a lot. Fact there are 1300 posts in a thread is a little irrelevant. What I do take note of, is the number of Maz'es getting flipped in the BST forum. YMMV

While not infallible and there are certainly other factors at play, I have always taken notice of what knives are regularly available on BST as some semblance of a commentary on quality. Again, not an absolute, but I think a valid data point.

Part of Mazaki phenomena is that the knives are cheap and perform well or very well for most for the price. This allows many to try them, so you'll see many buy sell, etc. Because of this you see a lot of activity, many people like them, some don't, some don't care. Mazaki also produces an amazing number of knives. Shihan, is in a totally different category and price range, rightfully so. I've tried both of his knives A2 and 52100 custom profile and both were excellent. Shehan is also a good guy to deal with on a personal level, at least in my experience. Mazaki might be a great guy too, but since we can't contact him directly that part is lost.

Latest posts

Back