What's your go-to entry level gyuto recommendation at the moment?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on where one's entry level wants to be. If someone said they wanted a TF Denka as a first knife, and new what they were in for, I'd say 'go for it'! I think my entry level J-knives were, Masamoto HC, then onto Kono Fuji, then a Kato WH—in hindsight, I should've started with Kato WH.

Every newby I have come across has a different price point. I like to be able to have a recommendation in the $1-$200.

Every newby I have come across has a different price point. I like to be able to have a recommendation in the $1-$200.

I remember a newbie here named Jose Martinez Lopez that jumped into collecting at a high price point level. Personally, I really don't equate 'entry level' with cheap knives, don't think everyone needs to climb the same latter—depends on the person. I one has a huge amount of disposable income—nothing wrong with getting on Bloodroot Blades waiting list for a first knife. Just sayin.'

Mac pro, not the laptop lol. Readily available, stainless, unfussy, and once endorsed by Thomas Keller if you need some marketing sway. Way more bang for the buck than those gaudy shuns and miyabi's. I think it's the best value for beginners and people just not that into knives that just want something good.

I think it depends on what type of beginner you are talking about - new to cooking, new to quality knives, or new to gyutos and Japanese knives. For people in the third category (like me not long ago), it absolutely makes sense to start in the ~$175-$275 range. They want to try something new, they know that they cook enough to use knives, and there's a good chance they are stepping up from the brands that Williams Sonoma sells. I continue to be very happy that more experienced folks recommend that I start with a S. Tanaka.
Yeah, this is how I read OP's question too. I saw a distinction between "Entry Level" vs. "Beginner". "Entry Level' is a good knife to get in the game. One may or may not be a "beginner".

Mac pro, not the laptop lol. Readily available, stainless, unfussy, and once endorsed by Thomas Keller if you need some marketing sway. Way more bang for the buck than those gaudy shuns and miyabi's. I think it's the best value for beginners and people just not that into knives that just want something good.
I've recommended Mac Pro knives a lot, mainly because they're easy to find in stores—lots if cooks I know looking for an upgrade don't like buying knives online.

I've recommended Mac Pro knives a lot, mainly because they're easy to find in stores—lots if cooks I know looking for an upgrade don't like buying knives online.

True, it's nice being able to handle the knife before buying. I remember my 1st few online knife purchases I felt iffy almost buying blind.

True, it's nice being able to handle the knife before buying. I remember my 1st few online knife purchases I felt iffy almost buying blind.

True. I'm comfortable buying online, because I know what I want. TBH, I enjoy buying in-person much more. Also, with the people I've recommended Mac Pro to, they don't hand sharpen knives.

I was asking this as there's a guy on another forum I post to who was asking about new knives as the knife set they bought is falling to bits after a few months. I've posted about knives there before so he dropped me a message.

He doesn't want to spend over £150 all in though and even a Kaeru + King 1000/6000 combi (which is what I planned to suggest before this post) is well over that once you factor in the JNS shipping (Kaeru doesn't meet the minimum spend for free shipping; not even if I split the order with him and got myself an atoma).

Think I'll have to give up and tell him to get something German.

There are plenty of good budget options in the UK other than the Kaeru (which imo doesn't come under budget territory if you pay the shipping).

There's:

- FKM + FKH ($15 DHL shipping from HK, no duty or import tax)
- There's a few budget options from cleancut (Ohishi, Kashima (cleancut brand), Takamura vg10, even Kamo for 155e)
- Masutani (for a shorter knife, or a santoku/nakiri)
- Tsunehisa AS from cuttingedge

For all in including stone, you can get SP1k from amazon prime, and an FKM or FKH, Tojiro DP from knivesandtools.

But most people do not want or need a Japanese knife. You can get a victorinox modern from knivesandtools for £37, and currently a naniwa pro 800 or 1000 for £50. That's imo a very competitive and well priced option.

I was asking this as there's a guy on another forum I post to who was asking about new knives as the knife set they bought is falling to bits after a few months. I've posted about knives there before so he dropped me a message.

He doesn't want to spend over £150 all in though and even a Kaeru + King 1000/6000 combi (which is what I planned to suggest before this post) is well over that once you factor in the JNS shipping (Kaeru doesn't meet the minimum spend for free shipping; not even if I split the order with him and got myself an atoma).

I think having a good base stone is more important than the first knife. It will only be as good as you can maintain.

I'd recommend a Shapton 1k ($40usd)+ your choice of AUS-8/moly gyuto under $100usd. There will be variation in profile and feel of the knives, but you end up with more or less the same thing in that price range.

For the price of a wusthof or zwilling, I'd rather save some cash and get a victorinox instead. Especially if they don't plan on getting into knives, but just want a decent tool to use and abuse.

Last edited:

It could be a good choice with a German chef knife and a good smooth sharpening steel for a user who wants a quality knife that can take hard/unskilled use.

With the Suisin Western Inox from Korin are the handle sizes graduated between the 180 and 210 sizes or are they all the same size? One if the things that I dont care for with the FKM's is that they are all the same size, including the 240 and 270 suji.

IIRC they are graduated. I've only bought / handled the 180 and 210 and most of those were gifts.

FWIW my "first" was a Gesshin Ginga and that was a result of recommendations here. It was an excellent recommendation - for me.

...the knife set they bought is falling to bits after a few months. ...
Sounds like they might be hard on their knives. How about the new Victorinox Swiss Modern with the walnut handle. It's slightly thicker behind the edge than the typical entry level J knife, but not as thick as a Wusthof. Also I almost agree with tostadas, they should focus on one stone if they're starting out sharpening, but I'd suggest the Shapton 1500 for a slightly finer edge

For me entry level means a beginner who's not discerning. Tojiro dp, misono moly all work well enough, they are standard knives with standard features that can cut and can last.

I like knives and craftsmanship, I think the love that goes into a knife translates into love that you put into food, but anything more expensive is dependent on personal preference and starts tending towards diminishing returns.

My sweet spot for a craftsmanship knife is 200-250usd, like an ashi hamono or hiromoto. That's probably what I'd gift to someone I like.

Is anything in between those two price points really that relevant or value for money?

I bought a Tojiro DP any first gyuto. Once I got more into knives, I bought my mum a Kaeru. There is a BIG difference between the two, and the Kaeru is definitely more than worth the difference IMO.
I like Tojiro DP. I like it much more than Kaeru. But they’re both good value for money

I like Tojiro DP. I like it much more than Kaeru. But they’re both good value for money

My family and lots of their friend swear by 'kai pure komachi 2,' the brightly colored Japanese knife, from Seki City, can be had for about $10–$20. I used them for years visiting family, before I started bringing my knife roll. Price point comfort-zone is so subjective—a $100 is an expensive entry level knife, whereas $300 is a cheap entry level knife for others.

My family and lots of their friend swear by 'kai pure komachi 2,' the brightly colored Japanese knife, from Seki City, can be had for about $10–$20. I used them for years visiting family, before I started bringing my knife roll. Price point comfort-zone is so subjective—a $100 is an expensive entry level knife, whereas $300 is a cheap entry level knife for others.

Or a fibrox :)

Just bought a Mercer Renaissance 8 inch chef knife for a friend who is an outstanding home cook (esp. cuisine from her home town, New Orleans ), but she's strapped for cash and really needed a decent knife, so I bought it for her birthday. Only $48. I can tell you she's not going to use a stone to sharpen it, and this knife can be kept going for a long time with a steel rod. When the rod stops working she can bring it to me. She loves the knife and it's much more worry free for a novice than a Japanese knife would be. I also have one of these and enjoy it, esp for jobs that you'd worry about with a Japanese knife. Today I used it for destoning halved avocados. Good starter when budget is low, and for me it has a nicer feel and f&f than the same level Victorinox.

It takes some time to get know a new knife, experimenting with your grip and perhaps fine tuning your technique. Handling it in a brick and mortar shop or even cutting a few products gives only a very first impression. It may be very wrong. It says more about what you are used to than what you are actually handling.
With a first good knife I would suggest a middle-of-the-road one, so you can explore your preferences (weight, balance, length, width, profile, geometry, material) and develop your skills.

Last edited:
I like the tojiro white #2 itk series I think they still sell the at cktg... Good beginner knives good steel. At least the ones I have...

It takes some time to get know a new knife, experimenting with your grip and perhaps fine tuning your technique. Handling it in a brick and mortar shop or even cutting a few products gives only a very first impression. It may be very wrong. It says more about what you are used to than what you are actually handling.
With a first good knife I would suggest a middle-of-the-road one, so you can explore your preferences (weight, balance, length, width, profile, geometry, material) and develop your skills.

I dont disagree. I didnt know what I liked my 1st few knives. Still would rather be able to get a feel for one as opposed to just buying blind. But I almost excusivley buy online, lol.

Still hard to beat a Victorinox Rosewood Chef, either 8" or 10", for a very low price and western handle. These knives can be brought to perform crazily good. Need some stone work OOTB though. Most inexpensive knives do need some work OOTB.

If you want an acutal J-knife that cuts OOTB, grab a Yoshikane. Still inexpensive, relatively speaking, and damn the western handle, just try one and you'll get an idea of good done cheap to the paradisiac level.

+6..or 7 (?) on the munetoshi recommendations. I think knifewear is selling them during their November garage sale.
+1 on the gesshin ginga
Not sure if this was recommended but I’d also recommend the gesshin uraku KU as well. Price has stayed the same while the price of the munetoshi just kept increasing over at JNS.

Back