Which is the best laser?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're feeling brave, a mild vinegar and water solution could show up the cladding line - I just had an experience with that. But be warned it will orange the core, so you will have to take that off after.
I will wait until I hear more from the retailer on this - but now I have to get to the bottom of what I got - monosteel or cladded as advertised. Sent them email just now

Last question - for a Denka - am thinking of getting Urushi handle as USP. As per forum advice. Does color matter - it comes in red and black

I can speak my own mind thank you🙂 and no, did not know this
Denka handle color doesn’t matter at all. Personally, I like the red western handles.

"The Kanji is in Japanese" -- think about what you just said and count how many people you just insulted.
1600194162413.png

Yes, gotta lotta specifics. But, before we delve into it, I’m interested in your opinion on lasers, based on the knives you’ve used including some of your recent purchases. Do you prefer lasers over mid weight and workhorses? Are you leaning towards certain lasers? Which ones and why?
Looking forward to your astute observations. Then we’ll talk Takada!

did I miss his response to this - were you able to get an opinion out of him?

did I miss his response to this - were you able to get an opinion out of him?
No, not yet, not holding my breath. TBH, I’m intrigued by @josemartinlopez—to me he has the manner of a journalist, reminding me of the many colleagues I had while working at magazines, an innate ability to conduct entire conversations by asking questions without offering opinions of his own, carefully walking that tightrope of neutrality. Also present with JLM is the sensibilities of a politician attempting to appease the widest audience, by not taking a particular stand, or expressing personal viewpoints, perhaps for fear of being quoted or contradicting himself.
Just my observations. Nothing wrong with it.
I’ve posted strong opinions In the past that I’d happily walk back—my viewpoints have evolved over the years. Knives I viewed as ‘the best,’ a decade ago, are merely meh to me nowadays.

Almost got the western red, but I am so used to Wa at this point, was worried about the switch
Personal preference of course, but IMHO, the denka with finger notch seems to flow better, design wise with a western handle—though, as stated, just my opinion. Main thing is, you’re getting a denka!!! Great knife with wa or yo. Call it a laser, so it won’t be outta place on this thread.

Question to the learned - earlier in this thread I saw some conversation about laminated cards monosteel and how you can tell by looking at the thin line near the edge - not hamon of course

but I have a Japanese swordsmith made knife - white #2 core with soft iron clad - but I see no line - see pictures. How is this possible?

see pictures below. The maker is a swordsmith called yoshihiko akitomo

View attachment 94754View attachment 94754View attachment 94755
The cladding and core steel will patina differently so you will see the line once you use it. BTW it is a cool good looking knife. Mind sharing the link?

Last edited:
and no, did not know this
Ah, apparently you did. Who are you to contradict the learned opinion?

TBH, I’m intrigued by @josemartinlopez—to me he has the manner of a journalist
That's pretty insulting to real journalists, I have to say. (Not saying that's your intent, but it is.) Also, this isn't a medium for journalists to get stories, it's a forum, which has a completely different purpose.

Ah, apparently you did. Who are you to contradict the learned opinion?

That's pretty insulting to real journalists, I have to say. (Not saying that's your intent, but it is.) Also, this isn't a medium for journalists to get stories, it's a forum, which has a completely different purpose.

Not an insult to journalists, nor intended to be. Simply an observation on a dynamic and method of conversing. There's a real craft to being a journalist, knowing how to ask questions that will elicit responses—which JML has, as evident by the numerous responses on his many threads. Yes, here on the forum there should be more of a give and take IMO.

Interestingly, through JML threads I've learned more about other members viewpoints and little of JML.

Hey @josemartinlopez, who are you? How'd you get into, and why do you collect J-knives? Are you a chef, investment banker, talkshow host? What type of knives do you collect and why? Does Sakai or Sanjo rock your boat?

Not an insult to journalists, nor intended to be. Simply an observation on a dynamic and method of conversing.
But it's not conversing, that's my point. When I'm in journalism mode, I'm gathering data for an article or the like, but that's a long way away from being part of a community, which this is supposed to be, and real journalists know the difference and act accordingly.

His opinion doesn't matter. Mining the thoughts and opinions of the forum is the goal. Yeah, sure, he bought some expensive knives on BST. I gather he has addresses in the US, but says he is in Singapore. He doesn't bother to be a supporting member, even though he can afford to, possibly cause it might reveal to the mods more about him. I really think he is Ryky or Ryky's proxy gathering info for the book. The knife purchases are for the pictures.

The cladding and core steel will patina differently so you will see the line once you use it. BTW it is a cool good looking knife. Mind sharing the link?
I got it from Japanese-cutlery dot com

they have cool tamahagane knives that I can’t afford, and they take orders for Shigefusa too maybe, but wait is 3-4 years.

I wanted something non-conventional from an old master who perhaps won’t be making knives for too long

here are closer view pics of edge - don’t see a line. Maybe you do. Monosteel mystery continues
DBA894F5-19D6-4A1B-B9AD-6B859C2E0874.jpeg
8E11CA16-B300-4775-B21D-8B40F0E8D0FC.jpeg
294258C3-3233-4387-A116-B5A6B49B40C2.jpeg

Personal preference of course, but IMHO, the denka with finger notch seems to flow better, design wise with a western handle—though, as stated, just my opinion. Main thing is, you’re getting a denka!!! Great knife with wa or yo. Call it a laser, so it won’t be outta place on this thread.
I am indeed getting the Denka laser - and definitely with the finger notch - glad you said that will make sure

Not an insult to journalists, nor intended to be. Simply an observation on a dynamic and method of conversing. There's a real craft to being a journalist, knowing how to ask questions that will elicit responses—which JML has, as evident by the numerous responses on his many threads. Yes, here on the forum there should be more of a give and take IMO.

Interestingly, through JML threads I've learned more about other members viewpoints and little of JML.

Hey @josemartinlopez, who are you? How'd you get into, and why do you collect J-knives? Are you a chef, investment banker, talkshow host? What type of knives do you collect and why? Does Sakai or Sanjo rock your boat?

I got it from Japanese-cutlery dot com

they have cool tamahagane knives that I can’t afford, and they take orders for Shigefusa too maybe, but wait is 3-4 years.

I wanted something non-conventional from an old master who perhaps won’t be making knives for too long

here are closer view pics of edge - don’t see a line. Maybe you do. Monosteel mystery continuesView attachment 94783View attachment 94784View attachment 94785

Idk, I think I see a lamination line. You should just use the knife.... the mystery will be resolved as soon as it patinas.

Use the knife, use use the knife! Oh yea!

Last edited:

I hope your question gets an answer.

I have had pleasant exchanges in PM with JML but in public forums, he can turn on a dime and belittle another’s opinion at the drop of a hat.

One thing I noticed is people trying to answer his questions sincerely but he can never seem to appreciate it or accept it until the other party starts to lose it

And zero reciprocity as to his own tastes and likes. I dont think he is a journalist, but perhaps he is shy? Or insecure, who knows and who cares🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back