Which is the best laser?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read more, type less, spend some money.

I know your concerns but you've pretty well flogged this to death. You've asked and re-asked the whole gamut of questions. And have received, multiple times, the same answers. You need to do some primary research. It's not like you're marrying a knife - if you don't like one, give it the boot and get another.

I know your concerns but you've pretty well flogged this to death. You need to do some primary research. It's not like you're marrying a knife - if you don't like one, give it the boot.
Got the post count up in a very short time - writing a book?

You need to do some primary research. It's not like you're marrying a knife - if you don't like one, give it the boot and get another.
thanks for your patience. As I explained, international shipping is a *****.

Would this be your choice of lengths if you could choose any lengths again for the Suisin Inox Honyaki, or was this choice to complement existing gyutos? Curious as Suisin has a 210 and 180 mm petty, imagine those would be fun to use as an alternative to the more typical 130-150s.
Collecting kitchen knives is my hobby. I have a modest (by this forum’s standards) collection of about 60 knives. There is a lot of duplication but I love the 270 mm length and the Suisin Inox Honyaki is my favorite. The thing I like most about the 210 mm petty is that it’s a great fillet knife and it surely is a laser. These knives are rated as HRC 61 and (as I said before) I think that is a great hardness for kitchen knives. Easy to sharpen, doesn’t chip easily, and holds an edge for a long time. For example I haven’t had to put the gyuto to the stones for a couple years (and I use it a lot) just a few swipes on a borosilicate rod and strop on a chromium oxide loaded striop and it’s back to razor sharpness.

Thanks, that’s a very, very helpful comment. To clarify, you mean you have a number of 270mm gyutos (which not everyone wants) but the Suisin is still your favorite among all your 270s?

Seem's to be not very popular but cuts like hell...Kei Kobayashi

36097779cb.jpg

36102223ec.jpg
Agree - have the 240 mm Gyuto - melts through food, great cutter, not the best food release, but good knife

I’ve owned a 240 Tad white 2, a 240 Shibata AS, a 240 Shibata R2, a 240 Kono GS+, and a 170 Takamura R2 Santoku. I like CCK 1303 as a laser than all of these. It has the lower 3-4 cm as thin as any laser if not thinner, and the upper 4-5 cm adding some weight to further help cutting. The overall weight is 250-260 gram so it doesn’t feel too light on hand. The balance point is ~6 cm from the heel which makes chopping very natural. And it’s cheap. I thinned it behind the edge a little and it’s now my favorite laser. The edge retention could be improved but for its price I can’t ask more.
E87C4681-B630-4E1F-A9EA-683C03EB695E.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree - have the 240 mm Gyuto - melts through food, great cutter, not the best food release, but good knife

That's the knife I should have bought. Mine was 210 mm but today 240 mm works best for me. Replaced it with an Ashi extra thin, extra harden, swedisch steel in 240 mm. Also a great cutter! They a very close. The Kobayashi is gone several month ago, so it's hard to make out a difference...

I know your concerns but you've pretty well flogged this to death. You've asked and re-asked the whole gamut of questions. And have received, multiple times, the same answers. You need to do some primary research. It's not like you're marrying a knife - if you don't like one, give it the boot and get another.
There will be another thread for sure.. just wait and see..

There will be another thread for sure.. just wait and see..
Wanna bet?

A pool? My money is on 3 more before the weekend ends.

And for any casual observer - we like questions, we live for questions, nothing better than helping someone else spend their money. But if you're going to ask the questions, you gotta read the answers.

Last edited:
And for any casual observer - we like questions, we live for quwstions, nothing better than helping someone else spend their money. But if you're going to ask the questions, you gotta read the answers.
The selective responding to posts in the many threads has been both amusing and extremely obvious ;)

Thanks, that’s a very, very helpful comment. To clarify, you mean you have a number of 270mm gyutos (which not everyone wants) but the Suisin is still your favorite among all your 270s?
Yes, I also have Hattori and a Nenox. All the 270s are fun to use but the Suisin is my favorite. I love it.

My 1st "holy **** thats sharp" experience was with a Gesshin Ginga petty. Lasers are fun.

Wait I lied, 1st time was when I was playing with my grandpas razor when I was 5 and cut my chin. Still have the scar.

1599800426809.png

Konosuke always hits the spot.

edit: not a photo of Konosuke

Collecting kitchen knives is my hobby. I have a modest (by this forum’s standards) collection of about 60 knives. There is a lot of duplication but I love the 270 mm length and the Suisin Inox Honyaki is my favorite. The thing I like most about the 210 mm petty is that it’s a great fillet knife and it surely is a laser. These knives are rated as HRC 61 and (as I said before) I think that is a great hardness for kitchen knives. Easy to sharpen, doesn’t chip easily, and holds an edge for a long time. For example I haven’t had to put the gyuto to the stones for a couple years (and I use it a lot) just a few swipes on a borosilicate rod and strop on a chromium oxide loaded striop and it’s back to razor sharpness.
60 knives! Wow, that is not a “modest” Collection - that’s quite a bunch of knives. How many would have much more?

@JML, how many knives in your collection? And which ones are your favorites so far - I am not suggesting we make this a new thread, but I think you bought Jiro and Mazaki, don’t know. Would be good to know what you have collected so far, and which ones rank as your favorites so far. What types of food do you usually use them for and I presume you are a home cook - thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back