White #2 steel issue

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I've got an Anryu B2 gyuto and a MSicard 5210 gyuto that I can get screaming sharp. I even have a Sukenari Sg2 petty that I can get very sharp. For some reason, I cannot get my Wakui W2 gyuto to the same level of sharpness. I'm fairly new to sharpening, but I'm wondering if it is my technique or if W2 is somewhat the issue. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Do you have an objective measure of sharpness? For me if a knife can push cut freestanding newsprint, that’s plenty sharp enough for kitchen work. Fresh off the stones they can typically cut rolled copy paper or newsprint, but that level of sharpness doesn’t last very long. I tend to do a light stropping on a 4k stone when they start dragging when slicing copy paper.

I’m not sure how you define screaming sharp, but my Wakui white#2 nakiri takes a very nice edge and holds it for a while. I’ve only ever sharpened it once since new, which was just a very light touchup on a 4k stone about a year ago (I’ve only used it maybe 6 times since but the edge is really lasting much longer than I expected).

You can see and hear that old edge on some carrots at the 0:18 mark below and compare to some of my other knives (this is a shortened video, I have a longer version on my IG). On the first cut you can hear it stick in the board before I remembered it needs a lighter touch.

I’m not the most experienced sharpener, but IME the sharpening experience is pretty similar between white and blue steels, which is to say very fast and easy to sharpen and deburr.

I had a knife in 52100 once that would not get sharp and if I got close it would dull overnight. I love 52100. I think this one was just bad heat treatment. Maybe the same for your knife but I have never heard that from Shirogami. It tends to sharpen easier than those other steels. Maybe you are "over sharpening". Or more specially your technique varies just a little bit, White sharpens so quick that is less forgiving than those other steels.

Hey, I've got an Anryu B2 gyuto and a MSicard 5210 gyuto that I can get screaming sharp. I even have a Sukenari Sg2 petty that I can get very sharp. For some reason, I cannot get my Wakui W2 gyuto to the same level of sharpness. I'm fairly new to sharpening, but I'm wondering if it is my technique or if W2 is somewhat the issue. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Just as a note W2 and W#2 are very different steels.

I’m not sure about the MSicard, but the Anryu and Sukenari will probably have pretty different geometry to the Waku - my white #2 copy is convexed and quite meaty most of the way down the blade until it tapers to the edge - ‘baby’s first workhorse’ basically.

Are you definitely sharpening the edge? I wonder whether you might be sharpening behind the edge if you’re using the exact same angle and technique as with those thinner knives.

And are you definitely raising burrs on both sides when you sharpen?

I’m not sure about the MSicard, but the Anryu and Sukenari will probably have pretty different geometry to the Waku - my white #2 copy is convexed and quite meaty most of the way down the blade until it tapers to the edge - ‘baby’s first workhorse’ basically.

Are you definitely sharpening the edge? I wonder whether you might be sharpening behind the edge if you’re using the exact same angle and technique as with those thinner knives.

I suppose it’s worth mentioning which Wakui line. Since all of my Wakui knives are THIN

A classic one. The apex hasn't been reached. Check with a sharpie and a loupe.

Though I'm not the biggest white #2 enthusiast I never had any issues getting them really sharp really quickly. It should sharpen really easy and really well. Its weakness lies more in how long it holds that edge.

Latest posts

Back