Why did I sell THAT knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregmega

Reaction score
End of year has me pondering my actions again, and going through knives come and gone. I have a few knives I still kick myself for selling. Sometimes even consider asking the new buyer for a buy-back deal. (I like to believe the gentleman’s rule still applies to FROR)

Then there’s the list of knives I happily moved on, short albeit, but no love lost.

I’ll start- I never should’ve sold my first Joe. Or my Comet. Or my Evan. Anyway. Lmk if you have regrets. Hearing your lapse in judgement may ease my self-induced purgatory.

I had a 210 Mab that I got from TF directly. Had no flaws in the grind, very nice knife. But I sold it to ease my conscience when buying another knife. Regretted it ever since, and thus bought another good one used - 5 years later, when it was less affordable.

I sold a 240 Takada no Hamono Suiboku Blue 1 Gyuto so that I could buy a 270 instead. I love my 270 but man I wish I had held onto that 240.

There is nothing wrong asking the buyer to buy it back in case they decide to let it go. Sometimes not every knife works for everyone…

Myself have sold a couple that I got at a decent price but haven’t regret them because the funds served to buy better knives. Also I am holding onto this one knife not to sell for this same exact reason u are mentioning lol.

Regret every knife I've ever sold 🤣

Also,
Ryusen 240mm, but the older version in damascus VG10.
Raquin 270mm. I figured, very incorrectly, that it wouldn't be too tough to get another in the future.

Regret having sold a Watanabe 180mm pro nakiri and a Mizuno akitada hontanren 240mm blue steel gyuto.
Both knives with outstanding steel and more than 10years ago the Mizuno cost 250$ and the Watanabe less than 200$ incl. handle upgrade...
I regret it because I (personally) go through phases with knives. I might not touch one knife and/or knife type for a year but after that it might become my favourite again.

Havent sold a bought knife yet.
But i made a beauuutiful Ku-Mai Gyuto, 240x58mm, 1.2519 Core a few months ago..
Was tempted to keep it, but sold it to a good Customer of mine...still think about it everyday..

As someone who loves a good cu-mai… got a pic?

The only knife I sold that I regretted I managed to buy another copy. No regrets for the rest I've sold.

Could I have modified some of them to become keepers? Yup, but I don't regret the sales as that allowed me to buy and try others.

I have sold 5 knives. All to people who really, really wanted the knives -- I was not trying to sell any of them. Two were knives I thought I would keep 'forever', but I have no regrets as the buyers really wanted them and give the knives more use than I was. None of the sales were to strangers, either -- they were to people I either knew in person (by first meeting through knife forums) or who were long-time forum members.

When I sold the stainless steel Martell gyuto, I thought I could get another one easily. The buyer really liked it because of the handle. I figured I could easily replace it with another once Dave made some more, but I missed out on the next few he made (or that District Cutlery sold), and then he had to exit the knife world. So while I wish on some level I had kept it, the the buyer wanted it so badly I am glad I was able to sell it to him. I still keep my eyes on the used market, in case one pops up.

I miss my Tanaka 240 Ironwood. Halcyon k-tip. Comet honyaki. Watanabe, all of them 😂. Evan honyaki. And a couple Tanaka Gokujyo from Razorsharp, those were amazing knives. These are the ones that were real performers, not sure that my collection is less for having done so, but every once in a while….

I have sold 5 knives. All to people who really, really wanted the knives -- I was not trying to sell any of them. Two were knives I thought I would keep 'forever', but I have no regrets as the buyers really wanted them and give the knives more use than I was. None of the sales were to strangers, either -- they were to people I either knew in person (by first meeting through knife forums) or who were long-time forum members.

When I sold the stainless steel Martell gyuto, I thought I could get another one easily. The buyer really liked it because of the handle. I figured I could easily replace it with another once Dave made some more, but I missed out on the next few he made (or that District Cutlery sold), and then he had to exit the knife world. So while I wish on some level I had kept it, the the buyer wanted it so badly I am glad I was able to sell it to him. I still keep my eyes on the used market, in case one pops up.
There haven’t been many that I didn’t have in the back of my mind that I could just replace; as in if I missed it and wanted another, worst case I’m out a couple hundred bucks. The two that come to mind are the Tsukiji Masamoto V1 mono gyuto, because I got and sold that one when I was way way too inexperienced at sharpening and regrinding; and the Martell I just sold last week, because I hadn’t heard about Dave. The third is the Raquin — but I’m not sure about that one. On one hand it’s certainly not easy to obtain another one. On the other hand, mine was a bit too big for me, and although if pressed I’d say Raquin as the single best maker, I’ve now used enough knives so that a bit of the mystique has dissipated and I’ve realized that there’s nothing that having one will make me more able to do than a Dalman, Tanaka, Zimmerman, etc.

Except The Mazaki Honyaki. Owning that knife blocks ads, gives you better gas mileage, and would probably make my hair grow back. Someday….

These and a few more but still have a couple of them:
42686095-5342-4C3F-8DCD-B737F551EBDB.jpeg

ECA216AA-EA40-453F-970B-FAF10C3E7771.jpeg

499A1404-49E8-4587-B5F0-FE6BCC4EC69F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A1CDDB5-FAA8-4D1F-AF6D-9E59E641AE9A.jpeg
    2A1CDDB5-FAA8-4D1F-AF6D-9E59E641AE9A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 214664

Had it bought … but stepped back to allow a friend to have it.

I thought another opportunity would present itself to acquire one. Was I ever wrong!

Still don’t regret stepping back, but I sure regret not having this knife or it’s equivalent in my collection.
I miss that one too! Man this thread is making me sad

View attachment 214664

Had it bought … but stepped back to allow a friend to have it.

I thought another opportunity would present itself to acquire one. Was I ever wrong!

Still don’t regret stepping back, but I sure regret not having this knife or it’s equivalent in my collection.

I live in the same town and will likely never personally see one of his knives. Yep, that would hurt.

Here are few I miss/regret. At the time I thought I would put the money to better use chasing other knives but ended up being a mistake

Jiro #307
A few Kamon’s
Heldqvist full tang western gyuto
HF honyaki full tang western, old stock w2
Xerxes 270 workhorse, western handle

Latest posts

Back