• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB /WTT for Vitrified diamond stone (coarse) either JKI or BBB or Practical Sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, saw I missed one yesterday, hoping maybe I can scout for another. I have the need to reset bevels on highly alloyed steels, and also repairing chips in woodworking chisels. I think these are a good option.

Looking for either the JKI 800 or BBB 400 vitrified diamond stones, preferably not dished, but used is fine.

Would be willing to do partial trades for some nice knives as well. I have a Blue Ikeda 240 honyaki and a 1.2519 The.Nine wrought clad 250 western, or one of my Bazes suminagashi 190s with padauk handles that I'd be willing to throw in to make things interesting to others. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll help out with some current pictures.

Cheers,
CC

Yep, can concur from using them and from Jon that they are good for resetting bevels, and pretty good for thinning, not the fastest, but really accurate. Works good on old aritsugu a type steel.

as long as the cladding isnt soft stainless... they hate soft stainless. If you need one, I can put together one or two more. Just been swamped over here, but have the stones... just not on bases yet

Look into practicalsharpening, 5mm thick and faaaaast

Oooh, ok thank you. Also looking for consistent scratches, and stay-flat or possible to get flat. Would that tick those boxes?
I'm getting 2 more of the 400 vitrified ones because they're impossible to flatten without the 3 stone method lmao. Bright side is, they stay flat forever and for 220 usd you get twice the material as just about any other seller for half the price. Made a post about them on insta @ao.renge

I'm getting 2 more of the 400 vitrified ones because they're impossible to flatten without the 3 stone method lmao. Bright side is, they stay flat forever and for 220 usd you get twice the material as just about any other seller for half the price. Made a post about them on insta @ao.renge
Bueno! I follow you, but missed it. I'll go check it out. What's the three stone method? I've never had a tricky flattening job yet.

Last edited:
This is fantastic. Kind of blew my mind a bit. Going to reread in the morning and digest. I may be in for three plates as well.....

The way I would think about it is like this.

Say you have two stones and you start to rub them together in irregular circular and linear patterns. Eventually the highs and lows will be smoothed out, and you’ll have two stones that glide against one another, fitting together perfectly. You might think that this means both of them are flat, but actually one could have a slightly concave surface that looks like a portion of a sphere with large radius, and the other could have a slightly convex surface that is a portion of a sphere with the same radius. However, if you have 3 stones and flatten them all against each other until they all glide against each other, this can’t happen. You’d have to have two of them concave, or two convex, and then those two wouldn’t fit together. So, they all have to be flat.

Hey Naader, I tried to get in touch with Practical Sharpening a couple of times without luck through the website contact form. Might this be an indication that those stones are not a priority going forward? A little hunting around seemed to indicate they might be a pilot project.

Hey Naader, I tried to get in touch with Practical Sharpening a couple of times without luck through the website contact form. Might this be an indication that those stones are not a priority going forward? A little hunting around seemed to indicate they might be a pilot project.
That guy makes some damn good stones, great researcher but he's absolutely terrible with anything business related. After I made my post on Instagram he got flooded with requests and I guess just threw in the towel cause he hasn't responded to anyone lmfao. I need 2 more 400s myself and I can't get in touch with him at all either

Btw if you wana reach me with any questions, insta is way better, I almost never check kkf

Such a shame, his stones are excellent and there are no real alternatives for the price. Maybe he should charge more, but still make them, just in smaller quantities. I just hope he is ok and decides to start making the stones again.

He's always been a bit spotty with communication but yeah, his stones are incredible. Do not despair, there are things in the works with a cartain mainstream vendor in the process of testing and tweaking a recipe with a larger manufacturer so there will be more accessible options soon.

I’ve always had great conversations with him. He is very knowledgeable and likes to talk all things stones.

Glad to hear more options will be available soon.

That guy makes some damn good stones, great researcher but he's absolutely terrible with anything business related. After I made my post on Instagram he got flooded with requests and I guess just threw in the towel cause he hasn't responded to anyone lmfao. I need 2 more 400s myself and I can't get in touch with him at all either

That sounds about right! A little popularity goes a long way! Thanks for letting me know this project is still cooking, I'll keep my eyes o open going forward. Too much interest is one of them good type problems!

Back