Quantcast

Y Tanaka on K&S

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

tminus

Reaction score
I was checking out some S Tanaka blades on K&S and came across a couple of Gyutos by Y Tanaka. Quick search here didn’t turn up anything - has anyone had experience with these? They seem to be fairly different (longer, taller, heavier, wider with more aggressive taper) than the ones for JNS.

marc4pt0

Reaction score
I wish I could un-see this thread. This 210 and the 240 look gorgeous, and the specs are sweet. Especially the heel height and the K&S profile. These are no doubt some serious performing blades by the looks of it.

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
Reaction score
They are fairly recent additions to KNS. I am also interested to hear a first hand review.

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF
Reaction score
True 240, unlike the JNS ones, and that heel height 😍
Waiting on someone to review one :)

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a model that is generally reserved for another company in Europe.

I ordered his KU White 240s in normal, tall and kiritsuke. I’ll try to compare them all when I get them.

esoo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was checking out some S Tanaka blades on K&S and came across a couple of Gyutos by Y Tanaka. Quick search here didn’t turn up anything - has anyone had experience with these? They seem to be fairly different (longer, taller, heavier, wider with more aggressive taper) than the ones for JNS.

Basically looks to me like the JNS 240 with a ebony handle stuck on. Okay, heel height is a bit shorter but the rest seems to line up.

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically looks to me like the JNS 240 with a ebony handle stuck on. Okay, heel height is a bit shorter but the rest seems to line up.
the length is different at 224mm, he makes a 225 Gyuto for one shop. I think k&s got a few of those.

Gregmega

Reaction score
I wish I could un-see this thread. This 210 and the 240 look gorgeous, and the specs are sweet. Especially the heel height and the K&S profile. These are no doubt some serious performing blades by the looks of it.
Add it to the list I guess

labor of love

Reaction score
Don’t they look a little thicker than the JNS line though?

ian

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, if by “the same” you mean Damascus instead of regular iron cladding, Blue 1 instead of White 1 core, 50 mm tall instead of 55 mm, 3.5 mm vs 2.9 mm over the heel, with a different profile, then they are the same.

Edit: Heh heh, joke’s on me. You were talking about the Damascus JNS Tanaka 240, obviously, which I never think about. Yea, those do look kinda similar except for the heel height. Apologies to you, @esoo. 🥰 That’ll teach me to restrain my morning crankiness.

Last edited:

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, if by “the same” you mean Damascus instead of regular iron cladding, Blue 1 instead of White 1 core, 50 mm tall instead of 55 mm, 3.5 mm vs 2.9 mm over the heel, with a different profile, then they are the same.
Owie 😂

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different profiles, different sizes, different finish, different handles, did I forget something? 😁

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a JNS blue dama and I love it. The K&S also appeals to me - I think larger heel height, more weight, etc.

I am nervous about pulling the trigger because I worry I am duplicating the knife

does Anyone else have the JNS blue Damascus Y Tanaka?

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a JNS blue dama and I love it. The K&S also appeals to me - I think larger heel height, more weight, etc.

I am nervous about pulling the trigger because I worry I am duplicating the knife

does Anyone else have the JNS blue Damascus Y Tanaka?
The ebony handle is adding around 50g to a rather lightweight knife (probably the main reason for the weight difference), so it will feel very different to a similarity sized knife with a ho wood handle. I have still the white#1 240 from JNS, the b#1 is supposed to be similar in profile and grind and has lovely finish IMO.

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That white Y Tanaka was a sweet deal at JNS when he put them on sale

sadly, I had already bought the blue 240 Dammy. In error, Maksim sent me the blue 270 Y Tanaka, instead of the 240.

and we did not discover the error of his ways until a few months later - by that time too late to do anything about it. So I was left with a lovely 270 blue Damascus for the price of a 240

I think the KNS knife is priced better than JNS - it’s a good deal

very tempting

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just measured the JNS Y Tanaka - 205 gm, 54mm heel height, and 255 mm heel to tip. Ho wood handle.

I think that is very similar to K&S profile, and except the ebony wood is adding weight - as per @Matus.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last but not least - there is always a (sometimes considerable) variation - especially with products with a lot of hand work. Example - my Toyama stainless-clad Nakiri weights some 183g - in the same batch was a knife with 230g.

In this particular case of comparing 2 damascus clad blades the main objective differences are: handle (ho versus ebony) and finished (polished versus etched). The rest is most likely dominated by sample-to-sample variations.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JNS is polished (with longitudinal scratch pattern - similar Munetoshi honyaki), KnS is etched (well, obviously some kind of polishing had to happen before).

AT5760

Reaction score
@Matus since you mentioned the weight of the ebony handle at 50g, do you have a standard reference for a similar ho/horn handle?

TSF415

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just measured the JNS Y Tanaka - 205 gm, 54mm heel height, and 255 mm heel to tip. Ho wood handle.

I think that is very similar to K&S profile, and except the ebony wood is adding weight - as per @Matus.
Jns sizing is different compared to kns. The 210 kns and 240 jns are listed as similar lengths so pricing is similar.

esoo

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Edit: Heh heh, joke’s on me. You were talking about the Damascus JNS Tanaka 240, obviously, which I never think about. Yea, those do look kinda similar except for the heel height. Apologies to you, @esoo. 🥰 That’ll teach me to restrain my morning crankiness.
Monday moment. :D. I did something similar today at my work.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Matus since you mentioned the weight of the ebony handle at 50g, do you have a standard reference for a similar ho/horn handle?
I said that the ebony would bring about 50g extra. I am not sure about the weight of a standard ho wood handle for a relatively lightweight 210/240 gyuto, could be around 50g, give or take.

esoo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said that the ebony would bring about 50g extra. I am not sure about the weight of a standard ho wood handle for a relatively lightweight 210/240 gyuto, could be around 50g, give or take.
A Konosuke Ho Wood handle that came off a new edition HD2 210 weighs about 25g