You can only keep 3 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey no fair if we're including "wife knives" that you have access to. That's cheating! ;)

But if we're playing that game, I'd be happy to expand the three I listed above to include her Sukenari 165mm HAP40 petty knife that I like for cutting citrus, her 180mm Kurosaki Nakiri in R2 that I use for larger stuff like a big cabbage, and the old Wusthof paring knife we both use.

this is a really tough one, but i actually think the most versatile set i could make using only 3 of the 10 knives i keep on the magblock would exclude both my gyutos:

300mm suji
165mm nakiri
150mm honesuki

all masakage koishi, which is also weird. i like my kurosakis and kitaokas better but they don't make the cut because they are too specialized.

Ashi Hamono custom white #2 cleaver, 210mm

Tanaka VG-10 wa petty, 150mm

Seki Ryu stainless cleaver, 175mm or so...

That would be for me and my wife both. Expanding it a little, there's the bread knife, the Vic paring, and the carbon Opinel #8 that also share the knife drawer. Actually, aside from a carbon cleaver I sometimes pull out for heavy duty stuff, that's it.

Ill give it a go....

1) Toyama 240 Blue 1 - Stainless clad

2) Togashi honyaki yanagiba 270 or 300

3) watanabe KU nakiri

Alternate (yeah... yeah... cant boil it down to 3...) ;-)

1) Fujiyama 240 Gyuto White 1 or blue 1

2) Genkai 300 yanagiba

3) #1 Sugimoto cleaver

wait....... I forgot the Mizunos! ...... too late.....
Can’t do it.....

The wife is the easy part. My wife doesn't cook so wouldn't take any knives. She'd probably choose a wine opener, wine stopper, and wine glass.

My three would be a large gyuto, small gyuto, and either a nakiri or a butcher, depending on what kind of post apocalyptic world we are talking about. So here we go:
1. Carter International Pro 195mm, White 1/stainless clad (easy to sharpen, easy to maintain)
2. Catcheside Special Damascus, 275x60mm (big, robust, SC125 core)
3. Munetoshi butcher or Raquin nakiri, depending

But honestly, keeping only three? Brutal. Check with me tomorrow, I'll have changed this list...

Surprised only Chinacats has picked a Chinese cleaver as one of their 3. Here is my three:

1. Laseur 52100 200x100 cleaver, which is modeled after CCK1303 but with everything dialed up a notch

2. Dalman 270mm AEB-L suji, which has enough blade height at the heel to be a gyuto-hiki almost

3. Dalman 160mm AEB-L honesuki which can double as a petty

I honestly can’t think of anything that I cook that this trifecta can’t handle.

This would change constantly for me but if I had to keep three, today it would be the Kato WH 240, Raquin 185 Nakiri, and my tojiro bread knife.

Righ now it would be 210 Munetoshi honyaki, 195 Raquin, 150 BB, but it still would be a touch choice. With a bit of luck this choice may get even harder soon :)

Its was a typo, its just blue... mystery blue.... ;-)

Takamura Pro 240mm gyuto
Takamura 210mm gyuto (red handle)
Takeda NAS 150mm petty

****, that was difficult...

Watanabe-cleaver
Toyama- 165 honesuki
Kioshi- 300 suji
IMG_20200110_135425.jpg

Right now: Kochi migaki 240mm gyuto, Kippington 52100 267mm gyuto, Mazaki 180mm ku petty.

Wat Suminagashi Petty 150
Mizuno Suminagashi
Some single/wide bevel so I can justify having all my stones :confused:

Sorry friends, prepare yourself for a very un-sexy list.

If I was actually going to get rid of all my knives (please no), I would prioritize ease and utility above all things... and balance that with a girlfriend who is known to let things sit in the sink and rust.

- Stainless unbranded Chinese Cleaver. For practically everything. I don't mind treating badly.
- Stainless Calphalon Pairing. For any odd job, including opening boxes. Hard to believe, but an upgrade from an even worse pairing.
- Stainless Bread Knife. Bread is life. Not certain what brand I have, but certain it isn't worth more than a dollar.

I will miss all my Japanese carbon, but nothing a good cry to sleep won't fix.

Last edited:
Back