Your wishlist

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watanabe pro sujihiki 270mm
Watanabe pro deba 150-165mm
Ryusen Blazen 210 gyuto
TF denka 195 gyuto
Ryusen Blazen 150 petty

Bazes suminagashi
Shihan A2 or wrought-clad
Xerxes drop hopefully
Hashimoto

My shortlist atm

I wish thereā€™s Stainless clad/SS versions of Konosuke Fujiyama FM 240-270mm
Hey Jason, CK TG is expecting Stainless Clad/ White#2 core Sanjo Konosuke.
I think is something exciting from Konosuke coming from Sanjo.

I feel market has been pretty slow recently, not many new things coming up, at least knives that I am very interested in.

For quite sometime now my interest has steered on more expensive knives and rare finds, rather than more common ones.
I think it is time to update my Wishlist accordingly:

Konosuke HM
Jiro #200
Konosuke Chuka
Takada Honyaki (if they are not 46mm tall)
Takada Ginsan Suiboku

Since I seem to have started a Konosuke collection this year, adding the following would answer questions I have

Fujiyama FM in Blue 1 or 2
GS+
SKD
Sumiiro

in 210 lentgh.

Amazing how a few months changes things. While I wouldn't mind a Sumiiro, I don't want anything else on that list currently (not that they are bad, just not on the list at the moment)

The knives I'm interested in have changed - I'm now more interested in knives that have something different/unique about them. I'd say my current wishlist is something like
Shihan banded A2
Fredrik Spare coreless damascus
Markin Rex121 (I'm actually on this list for this already, just waiting my turn)
A Cai Dao in some exotic high edge retention steel.

No particular order all 240mm gyutos

Tsukasa Hinoura River Jump
Wa handle Jiro
Konosuke fujiyama blue#1 or white #1
Yoshikane sld black damascus or skd
White #1 mizu honyaki ikeda or togashi

Hmm... a Kipp, a Denka, a Wat Pro, and a Halcyon Forge feather dammy would be nice. If I'm very lucky, I might have the budget for one of those this year... not the HF though.

Failing that, I'd take COVID settling down enough that I can sit down and eat in places where someone else can do the hard work and chop up food for me...

Well, turns out I dug around in the couch cushions and found some extra budget and got not one but two Kipps so far this year. (And a Toyama to boot!) Whoops?

High on my to-try list currently are Marko, TF, Y Tanaka, and Dalman, but other life priorities are gonna be taking priority for spare cash for the next little while...

Hope some day I will be able to afford a 250mm chef's knife by Dan Prendergast. The best further development of a traditional European knife I've seen so far, at least to my taste. A mid-weight with good food release, a Sab profile with a pronounced distal taper I miss so often, and an incredibly comfortable handle and smooth finish.

A nice ko deba around 120 mm
210 mm wide bevel stainless clad suji/petty
Heiji knives (any will do)
A suita and uchi

i see. thanks. i understand. i've seen occasional pre-made and used ones on the forum, too.

Wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, so I sent her a link to a Hitohira (Togashi x Yohei) 240mm wa gyuto, blue#1 mizu honyaki, with a persimmon handle.
I think she will ignore that request, oh well...
Mine does the same with those type of requests, at least I am not the only one receiving this type of treatment. Now I can't hold it against her šŸ¤£

Aside from universal wishes for peace, health, and happiness for myself I'm looking for:

Another Kippington (highly likely since I'm on his wait list)
An AEB-L gyuto (hopefully a 225 but I'm flexible) from @DevinT, @RDalman, or @RRLOVER (Mario)
another mid grit JNAT or two that finishes in the 3 - 5k realm that isn't too hard and has both reasonably good speed and decent feel

a bit further down my list
Kagekiyo or Kono Fujiyama 240 gyuto in B1 or B2
Kochi w/machi
Iron clad Wat or Toyama 240 gyuto
a nice but not crazy expensive kiridashi
a suita of some sort
maybe a Naniwa Pro 800

An update from my 12/20 post:
Kippington, in transit
240 iron clad Toyama bought
Kiridashi from Jonas
Nainiwa Pro/Chosera 800 bought
Suita bought

Looking forward to 2022:
At the top of my list is a 225 wa gyuto from @DevinT. At this juncture I wouldn't say "no" to AEB-L but I'm hoping for CPM MagnaCut, Apex-Ultra, or NioMax
225 1.2519 monosteel gyuto from @KAMON Knives
I'm not jonesin' for many more Japanese knives but I still am interested in another knife from Y. Tanaka or Togashi in Aogami 1 or 2, iron clad, more WH than than lightweight, and hamaguri convex rather than wide bevel. Extra points for premier sharperners: Tosa, Morihiro, Nomura, or maybe Myojin or Mitsuaki Takada
Still some interest in other Western makers if the right knife at the right price comes along. List of possible makers too long to include. I'm primarily interested in Apex-Ultra, 52100, A2, CruForgeV, AEB-L, and maybe V Toku 1 or 2 (at least one American maker has some) steels. I've kind of lost interest in both the really simple steels like 1095 or Shirogami as well as most of the so-called super steels except for MagnaCut, Z-Wear, and maybe Dalman's HSS1, Vanadis 23 or Vanadis 4E (no experience with these)
There are still a few stones I'd like to try: some more Awasedos (but not the super hard lv 4.5+ or HS55+, usually difficult, examples), diamond stones (Venev Phoenix 240/400 & 800/1200?), Morihei 4K, and maybe some more midgrits or prefinishers.
I'd kind of like to try the CZAR Precision/Kasfly sink bridge and sandpaper holder

Last edited:
I just saw Kipā€™s chevron hook grind for the first time on Instagram and I donā€™t know if I have seen anything more amazing that that.

The only item in my wishlist is to just try that grind out sometime before I die. Judging by how popular he is, donā€™t know if that is going to happenā€¦

I just saw Kipā€™s chevron hook grind for the first time on Instagram and I donā€™t know if I have seen anything more amazing that that.

The only item in my wishlist is to just try that grind out sometime before I die. Judging by how popular he is, donā€™t know if that is going to happenā€¦

IMO Julian/Kippington is the real deal, within the constraints of the techniques and the materials he likes to work with (monosteel only, 52100, AEB-L or Nitro-V for stainless, and whatever he is using these days for his rare honyakis W2?) I don't think there is anyone doing finer work. They aren't jewelry knives, his decisions are all about performance/functionality, but the attention to detail and F&F are absolutely first rate.

IMO Julian/Kippington is the real deal, within the constraints of the techniques and the materials he likes to work with (monosteel only, 52100, AEB-L or Nitro-V for stainless, and whatever he is using these days for his rare honyakis W2?) I don't think there is anyone doing finer work. They aren't jewelry knives, his decisions are all about performance/functionality, but the attention to detail and F&F are absolutely first rate.
I believe it. I am a little late to the game and so I have been reading older threads regarding the development of his grinds and techniques. Truly amazing to see someone push the boundaries and introduce new concepts to a tool that has been used for who knows how long. I tend to gravitate towards performance and functionality first but I imagine that it would take ā€œjewelry knifeā€ money to convince someone to give up their Kip. At the very least, it is always a pleasure to see someone post a cutting vid of them using their Kip!

I'm not allowed to buy more knives for a while. :p
Well that failed miserably...

As of right now... I actually checked off a good part of my list in the last year.. but I'm still 'narrowing down my preferences' / filling out the quiver.
Right now what comes to mind (and is actually affordable):
-K-Sabatier 200 25 cm chef knife (and maybe the 18 cm slicer too as a petty even though I don't really need it), because I want something French and it doesn't hurt to have something stainless either.
-Ashi 240 gyuto (because I still want a monosteel laser in 240).
-Some workhorse to see what that buzz is all about... Mazaki? Or something else. I think my Miura Itadaki/Y Tanaka is a bit too light to truly satisfy this curiosity.
-Tadafusa SN-10 Sujihiki for some reason keeps interesting me, mostly from an aesthethics perspective, even though I don't see any good reasons why I'd need one or have a good usecase for it.
-I still want a fullsized Robert Herder. Wished they'd make a bolsterless 1922... but even with all the downsides with the crappy handles and mediocre food release, I still find myself tempted to get a Robert Herder K chef eventually.

Still pretty mundane mostly. Still hesitant to even look at much higher end stuff when I haven't fully nailed down my preferences yet. Pointless to consider customs when as a customer I don't really know what I actually want. :D

Back