☕️ Coffee!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s great, get mine from Redbird Roasters in Montana.

Nice! I get mine from a local market that has a bunch of different kinds that they roast weekly. I use a small electric grinder to grind small batches of beans in the morning to medium-coarse and then use a metal percolator to brew it. Just part of the AM routine. I am looking at getting a better grinder that grinds more evenly though. Any suggestions?

My setup is a Capresso burr grinder and Aeropress. I have a handful of local places I get whole beans from. For a long time I did pretty exclusively dark roasts but over the past year or so I've gradually moved to medium or at most medium-dark roasts as I've dialed in what I like and don't.

For better or worse I've gotten to the point where I rarely like coffee I get out as much as what I make at home. On the bright side I have a pretty good cup every morning, but it does make coffee meetings and whatnot a little less enjoyable...

My setup is a Capresso burr grinder and Aeropress. I have a handful of local places I get whole beans from. For a long time I did pretty exclusively dark roasts but over the past year or so I've gradually moved to medium or at most medium-dark roasts as I've dialed in what I like and don't.

For better or worse I've gotten to the point where I rarely like coffee I get out as much as what I make at home. On the bright side I have a pretty good cup every morning, but it does make coffee meetings and whatnot a little less enjoyable...

I prefer medium roasts too. And yeah, I hate having to get coffee out. It’s ALWAYS disappointing, especially living in a food/coffee desert.

I used to be all about the fresh single origin roasts in my hands within 2-3 days of roasting, pour-over or drip brewed. Sometimes ordered from Intelligensia or Blue Bottle, or picked up locally when I was in town.

I switched over to the dark side last year and got a N’espresso and loving it so far.

I alternate between cold brew and drip coffee. My wife being the awesome person that she is randomly surprises me with bags from Tandem Coffee, which is one of my favorites.

We each drink only one cup a day. So, for drip coffee it's fresh ground, but with a really cheap Black & Decker 4 cup machine. Looking to upgrade. Anyone have experiences with the smaller Bonavita or Zojirushi coffee makers? I know I could just as easily do Chemex, but there's a balance to convenience, quality, and multitasking that I want to achieve.

Coffee, indeed!

I roast my own, and use a vintage commercial espresso machine fro my daily fix (something like 6 double espresso's). Fresh roasted (after resting it a couple of days) and fresh ground decent beans make all the difference!
Grinders for drip etc are not that expensive, for Espresso things get expensive real fast.
For advice I'd suggest looking at the grinder section at Home Barista forum, beware it's a really deep rabbit hole.

For a grinder I’ve been running a Kitchenaid Professional Burr Grinder burr grinder since 2007ish. There are probably better choices now in the price range they are asking for it nowadays. I only use it for drip coffee. I once looked down the rabbit hole of espresso grinders and it scared me, ran away as quickly as possible.

Recovered espresso addict here.. Came to my senses and now just make a (perfect) aeropress or v60 in the morning.

I like coffee, but I'm sort of casual about it. I'm willing to drink the coffee I roast up to two weeks after the roast. I'll even go three for Yemen beans.

Split my daily coffee consumption into two parts. French press in the morning, espresso at noon.

I have a small collection of brewing gear from the shallow end of pool: French press, vacuum/siphon, Aeropress, and a variety of conventional pour over filter brewers (Kalita, Chemex, Melitta). My grinder is a Baratza Virtuoso with the upgraded burr set. I use an upgraded Behmor 1600A/B roaster.

...for Espresso things get expensive real fast.
For advice I'd suggest looking at the grinder section at Home Barista forum, beware it's a really deep rabbit hole.

As MarcelNL noted you are in a whole different world of expense with espresso. A full manual set up like a ROK or Flair plus a good manual grinder will get your foot in the door but doesn't give you steamed milk. It is easy to spend north of $3k on a good but not extravagant prosumer machine and grinder, and north of $5k may start to look entirely reasonable.

I alternate between cold brew and drip coffee. My wife being the awesome person that she is randomly surprises me with bags from Tandem Coffee, which is one of my favorites.

We each drink only one cup a day. So, for drip coffee it's fresh ground, but with a really cheap Black & Decker 4 cup machine. Looking to upgrade. Anyone have experiences with the smaller Bonavita or Zojirushi coffee makers? I know I could just as easily do Chemex, but there's a balance to convenience, quality, and multitasking that I want to achieve.
If it's just me I use a Kalita, but whenever I have guests I bust out the Bonavita 5-cup, One touch with a thermal carafe. I can't say enough good things about it. The heating system is really fast and extremely consistent. There is a setting to bloom the coffee before brewing, which is a really nice feature on an automatic drip machine. Lastly the carafe is well-insulated, so you don't get that burned tasted coffee sometimes gets after sitting on a warmer too long. Minimal effort and the coffee is almost as good as my 'hand poured on a timer and scale' version.

I prefer my centrL/South American beans steeped and filtered. My favorite is aeropress or ccd. I have been roasting about a pound a week on my behmor 1600 for 9 yrs.

Everything needed to make coffee at work. I like all coffee: bad coffee, good coffee - its all got a time and place.

Attachments

• 20210923_133340.jpg
    20210923_133340.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 20
I am excited about my Baratza Encore coffee grinder arriving on next Wednesday. Where is a good place to start for filtered brew? I trying come up with a plan when it arrives.

Do most people weigh their beans using so much water? I buy distilled water for coffee. This is what I am using to heat water for a pour over.

IMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
I am excited about my Baratza Encore coffee grinder arriving on next Wednesday. Where is a good place to start for filtered brew? I trying come up with a plan when it arrives.

Do most people weigh their beans using so much water? I buy distilled water for coffee. This is what I am using to heat water for a pour over.

View attachment 143868

You can weigh it if you want but the reality is that flavor varies by grind and age, so you’ll want to remain somewhat flexible. I pretty much figure out a high and low limit for a bag and hedge based on each previous brew. May not make the optimal cup but almost guarantees a very good cup.

Re distilled water, in my experience it's good for the brewer (no minerals) but hurts the flavor for the same reason. For a really light or delicate brew it may be better but at that point I switch to tea because my preferred coffee has some ass.

I prefer my centrL/South American beans steeped and filtered. My favorite is aeropress or ccd. I have been roasting about a pound a week on my behmor 1600 for 9 yrs.

CCD? All Google is giving me is "cafe coffee day" which appears to be the Starbucks of India... guessing that's not it!

View attachment 143868

I weighed my beans/grounds when I first started with the Aeropress but honestly that's not what I want to fiddle with at 7am... I've figured out the point on my grinder timer that roughly corresponds to how much grounds I want for a full Aeropress (a set amount of water). Simple and effective if not super precise.

I nowadays eyeball the dose for espresso, but I cheat using a timer I added to the grinder.
For drip I;d start weighing grinds and timing your pours for a while so you learn fast what you like best, after a while you learn seeing where things need to be...until you start using a completely different coffee.

Water needs a certain mineral content for taste, distilled is not the best. For my espressso machine I use RPavlis recipe (can be found on HB) to avoid calcium buildup and the added Potassiumbicarb buffers the acidity of the water to keep the boiler solid for ages. If you are using a water kettle lime scale is not that much of an issue unless you want to avoid scale buildup or do not like the water for taste, it's easy enough to buy some true mineral water with low total dissolved solids (some locations of .f.e. Polar Spring water are better than others).

Bonavita is the goto tool for many drip drinkers as it allows for easy temp control! Sort your water weigh your doses and you're good to go !

errr edit; almost forgot the MOST important bit...buy great software, as in freshly roasted beans from a reputable roaster.

Back