A Bread Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I'm still thinking on that, but I was considering baking it in the container I'm making the coil folds. Kind of like a focaccia, maybe. Maybe do a starter the day before to add to it. I'm reading about ideas now. It was pretty light and fluffy in the dish., which got me thinking. Also, I'm thinking that way I can lower the oven temp. This will be on the weekend, so I have time to think. Might just go in a different direction and make something else. I'll post some pics of whatever I end up with.

2EC9A41B-28B5-4B9D-A9CF-DA01A09163B6.jpeg

Morning toast.

One idea I read last night on Pan de Cristal showed using parchment paper sprayed with olive oil spray instead of a floured board to divide the dough on. I think I'll try that. I've also seen some recipes that state longer time intervals, such as 30–45 minutes between coil folds, as well as 5 or 6 coil folds. On my second batch, I mixed the dough better than the first day, and I did an extra coil fold based on how the dough felt and looked. I got a far better rise on my second batch, and it looked great in the container I was using. This is where I got the idea to bake in that container. Not sure how well that will work. Any input is appreciated, because it's been a few years since I've made any kind of bread.

Reactions: ian
Thanks, Ian! Yes, I had some flour lines that ran through some of the loaves, so it made sense to try this. Plus, the flour is a little messy for me at that point. I'll post pics from this weekend.

Reactions: ian
Yesterday, I did Pan de Cristal for the third time, and it's better each time. On my second attempt, I realized I didn't mix the dough well enough. For my third, I took the advice to use olive oil spray on parchment instead of flour on a board, and that was much better. I've also reduced the overall cooking time by a few minutes and moved it from the baking steel to the upper rack sooner. The baking steel has a lot of energy to give off. I thought about lower the temp a little from 475, but didn't want to change too many things at one time. Plus, everything I see states 475 for the temp. My first time, I didn't realize that was simple bake and not convection/fan. Anyway, here's my result

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Bread with extra ruffage to pair with soup tonight. Something about having that extra knack as you slurp away a bowl of warm that just goes so well together.

Speaking of adds, what do you guys enjoy putting in your breads? Usual fair like seeds or olives is nice, but what about some funk? This one got pumpkin seeds and rye kernels inside, with rye flakes on the crust.

20230313_130945.jpg

Bread with extra ruffage to pair with soup tonight. Something about having that extra knack as you slurp away a bowl of warm that just goes so well together.

Speaking of adds, what do you guys enjoy putting in your breads? Usual fair like seeds or olives is nice, but what about some funk? This one got pumpkin seeds and rye kernels inside, with rye flakes on the crust.

View attachment 231161
Looks delicious! Now you've got me craving good soup and bread, maybe I should crack out the dutch oven...

I typically rummage around in the pantry and pick whatever strikes my fancy when I want to make seeded bread. This one was made with chia, flax, sesame, perl barley, and rye flakes, plus sunflower seeds on the outside. It turned out very nice. Recipe here.

I've also made bread with chestnuts, pumpkin seed, linseed, poppy seed, walnuts, hazelnuts, coriander, caraway, and probably a few others I can't remember. I'm generally cautious with more intense additions, such as sun-dried tomato, olives, or cheese. Not that they don't taste nice. But I prefer my bread to not have flavours in it that might clash with other ingredients. I think it's easier and more flexible to put these ingredients on top rather than baking them in.

I typically rummage around in the pantry and pick whatever strikes my fancy when I want to make seeded bread. This one was made with chia, flax, sesame, perl barley, and rye flakes, plus sunflower seeds on the outside. It turned out very nice. Recipe here.

I've also made bread with chestnuts, pumpkin seed, linseed, poppy seed, walnuts, hazelnuts, coriander, caraway, and probably a few others I can't remember. I'm generally cautious with more intense additions, such as sun-dried tomato, olives, or cheese. Not that they don't taste nice. But I prefer my bread to not have flavours in it that might clash with other ingredients. I think it's easier and more flexible to put these ingredients on top rather than baking them in.
I'm usually eat my bread with just butter (Nutella on the weekend breakfast buns) and the others in my family usually with meats and cheeses. Nuts and seeds are definitely the most adaptable add in for me but sometimes the funk is a nice break. I've played with a few of the more common additions like garlic, onions, sun dried tomatoes, and cheeses but now I'm looking for something really out there.

Funny enough, today's bake is straight bread flour at 85 hydro. I should have been a bit more diligent with popping bubbles when shaping, got some funky holes.

20230316_121839.jpg
20230316_122558.jpg

I can’t say it’s funky, but this “oat porridge” bread stays moist forever. Milk-soaked oats get laminated in during gluten development, then oats line the final proofing basket to top the loaf:

https://breadtopia.com/whole-wheat-oat-porridge-sourdough-bread/
I've done butter toasted oats but this seems like something to try.

Also tried cibatta today, it good but I have no idea how people get those crazy open crumbs. Maybe too much oil? Too much dough strength?

20230319_191235.jpg
20230319_203646.jpg
20230319_203728.jpg

Hmm, I’ve never tried. But that’s curious… looks like you got a tighter crumb on the ciabatta than on your usual immaculate loaves. Would expect it to be easier to get more openness here. Were you using a recipe?

Hmm, I’ve never tried. But that’s curious… looks like you got a tighter crumb on the ciabatta than on your usual immaculate loaves. Would expect it to be easier to get more openness here. Were you using a recipe?
No recipe, just kinda winged it. I wonder if overproofing can actually kill an open crumb.
Anyway, this is what I tried doing
Bf 400g
Water 290g
EVOO 80g
Starter 100g
Salt 10g
Mixed and then did a s&f set after an hour, transferred into a glass dish and then coil folds every 2 hours (3x), overnight in the fridge (10hrs), take out and let sit for 4 hours, bake

With the timing I'd wager the dough is quite ovenproofed, however at that point it finally looked "right' or close enough to what I have seen scrolling through bread Instagram (bad reference point, I know). Dough felt light and puffy, but crumb is severely lacking on that front. Guess a proper look at a recipe is in order.

It looks over-proofed to me, which chimes with the ten-hour rest in the fridge. The hydration seems about right. But I don't recall ever seeing olive oil used for Ciabatta; certainly not as much as that (20% oil is a lot). I'd try again with little or no oil, and shorter fermentation.

The King Arthur recipe looks reasonable, quite similar to their Pan de Cristal. I'd give that one a shot as a starting point.

Last edited:
I'd put my money on 'too much oil' as well. While adding some oil can be great simply because it keeps the bread moist longer, too much oil tends to be a hurdle for gluten development and negatively impact structure. 80 gram sounds like a lot.

it is a lot of oil, its notable in the final result. I was just spitballing when I put the dough together, hopeful for a good result. Appreciate the link Michi, however I kinda refuse to use KAF recipes out of principal, mostly for the lack of full volumetric and weight measures in recipes (yeast not given a weight but every other ingredient has both, salt has a similar issue in other recipes) and because their sd recipe is wack (imo). I'll browse around and revisit another weekend.

Back