A good stone to put between my 1k, and 6k in a polishing progression.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
Pls, pls. 😥. I'm so tired of getting through 220-1.2k. Then hitting the brick wall that is the stone that follows that.

Everything I have just does not create scratches that my gesshin 6k can remove without waaay to much time spent. I mean. The massive balls suehero must have to call the rika a 5k stone.😡 Polishing out the scratches on that, arent much better than just going straight from my king 1.2k. I have a green brick of joy, but that is another stone that I only really like for edges.

My king 4k could kinda work but i dropped it on its face at some point, and it cracked in a few places, but its stuck in the base, so it can accidentally scratch the knife sometimes, and idk im sure their must be something else better out there anyway.

The actual requirements of the stone need to be.
1. Doesnt leave a bunch of wierd scratches that can't be removed quickly by a 6-8k stone.

2 not super expensive.

It doesnt need to look good enough with the stones finish that I would want to stop their. Or even have much contrast. I just want something to save time.

Shapton glass 4k maybe. Going to mirror the heck out of whatever you throw at it probably but it won’t hide 1k scratches and is generally pretty fast and very consistent cutting. Gesshin 6k will definitely clean up those scratches.

Problem is, I don't know the King 1.2. I normally would say to double the grit, but some makers underestimate, and others overestimate. If the King does correspond to its grit a Suehiro Ouka, which is a true 3k, should do the job. Isn't very expensive and is available in smaller sizes. It's a soaker.

I use my Naniwa Pro 3k for this and it's pretty fast, sets up for Gesshin 6k well after Gesshin 1.2k. I've thought about adding a Gesshin 4k, just because I like polishing on soakers, but haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Problem is, I don't know the King 1.2. I normally would say to double the grit, but some makers underestimate, and others overestimate. If the King does correspond to its grit a Suehiro Ouka, which is a true 3k, should do the job. Isn't very expensive and is available in smaller sizes. It's a soaker.
The issue isn't so much that the stones i have to put after the king 1.2k, or king hyper cant remove the king scratches. Its that the gesshin 6k, takes forever to remove those scratches.

That said. If the ouka is any coarser than the rika, i definitely don't want to use it, since the rika is one of the stones i have that give me this problem.

I use my Naniwa Pro 3k for this and it's pretty fast, sets up for Gesshin 6k well after Gesshin 1.2k. I've thought about adding a Gesshin 4k, just because I like polishing on soakers, but haven't bitten the bullet yet.
Yeah. Naniwa pro seems like the best option as far as polish.

I just kinda don't want to pay the money for the chosera/pro 3k 😢.

Idk. I might just do that if nothing else.

Well. Also the shapton glass 4k was mentioned. That seems like a good option. Since I'm mot planning to finish on it. And might be more affordable.

Have you considered Naniwa super? I use 3k, 5k, 8k and 12k when I want something suuuuper shiny. The 5k do amazing things and above that it's just to refine all those scratches.

I don't like Naniwa's super range except for the polishing task. These stones are also less expensive and it could be interesting to have one or two for fun.

It almost sounds like you just need a different 6k?

Et tu @cotedupy - I thought you were more hardcore of a stoner than that.

I hate sandpapering anything lol, but I know it has its uses.

Ha! Guilty as charged.

Though in my defence - I’ve heard Caesar admit in private that he mostly uses vitrified diamond nowadays. And at least my sandpaper is AlOx...

😜

Ha! Guilty as charged.

Though in my defence - I’ve heard Caesar admit in private that he mostly uses vitrified diamond nowadays. And at least my sandpaper is AlOx...

😜
Busted, I use diamond stuff for all my pre-natural work anymore. Id recommend it without reservation more often except for the fact its expensive as hell...

At least it holds true to the correct formula of rubbing steel onto fixed abrasive and not the inverse.

It almost sounds like you just need a different 6k?
I mean. The gesshin 6k gives a super clean finish that is pretty spot on for polishing.

Its just the rika is so scratchy and ****** for polishing. So is my green brick of joy, that they arent any better than just going straight from my king.

Sandpaper. Cheap, easy, efficient, quick.
If i had something like a kasfly maybe.

But ive tried doing sandpaper then going back to stones, and had wierd low spots develope where the cladding and core meet because of it. That i have to get out before im able to use naturals basically just setting me back i only find sandpaper useful if im finishing with sandpaper or loose abrasive.

If i could get good vitrified diamond stones, or resin bonded ones that leave a good enough polish i would go that direction all day. I already use diamond for a lot of the low grit work.

But the venev 1200, and 2000 aren't great as far as the finish they leave.

Busted, I use diamond stuff for all my pre-natural work anymore. Id recommend it without reservation more often except for the fact its expensive as hell...

At least it holds true to the correct formula of rubbing steel onto fixed abrasive and not the inverse.

Come on ET, you wet the sandpaper and wrap it round a block of wood or a bench stone... and it becomes fixed!

That’s how I do it anyway. You just make a piece of sandpaper into a whetstone.

Here you go, I’ve just done one up using an atoma plate...

DAE0C970-257F-404B-AE99-87D1CECFE16C.jpeg

Brute, your ultimate solution would be the Kasfly sandpaper holder then. :D

Haha... I did have to google what a Kasfly was, but yes - it does look like a very sensible bit of kit to me, if one is chasing pure efficacy in regards to the original question.

(I mean I could just say: ‘Coticule’ in reply to pretty much anything asked on the sharpening subforum. But a.) It seems like cheating. And b.) Everyone would think I was a c**t.)

The build quality is top notch btw, all parts CNCed. I (as well as some forum members) have the sinkbridge version and been enjoying it a lot.
(🤔The owner is called Czar, how werid coincident is that?)

Screenshot_20230824-163315.png

Anyone tried this thing?

The naniwa gouken hayabusa.

Idk if i know much about it.

(The price for this thing is $30 by the way)

Naniwa super stone 2k.
Have you considered Naniwa super? I use 3k, 5k, 8k and 12k when I want something suuuuper shiny. The 5k do amazing things and above that it's just to refine all those scratches.

I don't like Naniwa's super range except for the polishing task. These stones are also less expensive and it could be interesting to have one or two for fun.
The 2k is one of my favorite synthetic stones for an edge progression or polishing progression. I haven't actually tried any others besides the 12K which is a pretty excellent razor stone. Or a nice final deburr step on a gyuto.

Haha... I did have to google what a Kasfly was, but yes - it does look like a very sensible bit of kit to me, if one is chasing pure efficacy in regards to the original question.

(I mean I could just say: ‘Coticule’ in reply to pretty much anything asked on the sharpening subforum. But a.) It seems like cheating. And b.) Everyone would think I was a c**t.)
Cunticule

Back