A petty for your thoughts ? 150mm mini-gyuto style ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found 33mm high to work as a board knife (with 27mm being too low).

For fruits I have moved up in length to 170-ish length because the 150s felt a little too small for pears & apples. There aren't a lot of makers in the 180 gyuto space so the 165 santoku/bunkas as mentioned above will be easier to find a match (or in stock :confused: )

MAC Pro 6" blade height 27.432mm :(

I hunted for something like you do for a while.

Two problems (to me) presented themselves pretty thoroughly:

-the taller ones are very often thicker knives;
-the taller ones are quite often iron clads

and that's not even counting if you like the profile or not and whatelse.

If thick doesn't bother you, you could look at Akifusa A#2 160mm petty (164x36) that has got two things going on for it: slanted upwards and a real spacious rounded neck that also serves to clear the handle from the grip and give more space to your fingers.

https://www.aiandomknives.com/produ...0mm-ebony-handle?_pos=13&_sid=0b453854f&_ss=r
Alternatively you could like something like Hinoura or Wakui do. Hinoura does a 180mm petty that's like 180/38. Alternatively his 135mm petty as was available on Ai & Om not so long ago is 143/38.

https://www.aiandomknives.com/produ...1&_sid=a388d8720&_ss=r&variant=39573422833773

If iron clad wouldn't bother you, but I know it does, Munetoshi also does a great rather tall petty - but iron clad W#2 is probably the most obvious deterrent to a petty I could imagine unless working mostly with proteins.

A real good alternative to avoid being so thick or iron cladding is Matsubara. Sharp Knife Shop had a nice A#2 SS clad one for a few weeks. Now sold out.

https://sharpknifeshop.com/products/matsubara-hamono-petty-150-mm
If I hadn't buy the S. Tanaka Ginsan petty, and to hell with the wonky grind we see in the pictures on SKS, this one would have gotten to me in ways I would have bought it.

The S. Tanaka I think though is closest to ideal of the idea of a "petty-Gyuto" that also doubles rather well as a more or less Honesuki profile. I bought Ginsan because it's a pretty tough steel, so it can take some crap, and a fully SS blade soothed me best.

For anything "dedicated" to being small, pointy, and used on board very comfortably, I would rather point you towards something like 160-180mm "narrowish" Bunka.

I loved the Futana S3 I had (174/43) and now love the M. Kurosaki I have (181/43).

TFTFTFTFTFTFTF…Nashiji is a nice, cheap, tall petty…
https://www.teruyasu.net/products/petit.html

Thank you
Petty knife [Nashiji]

10192008_580754107e639.jpg

TFTFTFTFTFTFTF…Nashiji is a nice, cheap, tall petty…
https://www.teruyasu.net/products/petit.html

I've seen some not so nice. Also cheap until you realize that there are also 35$ CAD petty coming with that kind of handle as the 8800 JPY one for 135mm.

I would know...
IMG_1712.jpg

33$ CAD minus 15% - "get to free shipping" purchase - Kikumori SS. Not saying it's a comparable steel, rather my point is that handle is plywood and programmed for self destruction even if you sand it and oil and wax it. And is really nothing comfy or to behold.

Had one of these Mabs 150mm with me... sent back to vendor.

150 Choil.jpg
150 CompGrL.jpg
150 CompGrR.jpg

Triple faceted grind, thick, the poorest handle ever of all TFs imagineable, overgrinds showing from factory, heel sharpened so absurdly uncarefully on one side that it gives a warning torsion "tick" if you gently push it with a finger nail side to the blade.

Sorry but if one is going to deal with TFs... aaaaah... inconsistencies, then one ought to go for the real stuff not the cheap stuff... Cheap stuff from a maker like TF is expensive stuff likely coming to you in a worse state than the cheapest J-factory knives - at best.

I've seen some not so nice. Also cheap until you realize that there are also 35$ CAD petty coming with that kind of handle as the 8800 JPY one for 135mm.

I would know...
View attachment 173775
33$ CAD minus 15% - "get to free shipping" purchase - Kikumori SS. Not saying it's a comparable steel, rather my point is that handle is plywood and programmed for self destruction even if you sand it and oil and wax it. And is really nothing comfy or to behold.

Had one of these Mabs 150mm with me... sent back to vendor.

View attachment 173776View attachment 173777View attachment 173778

Triple faceted grind, thick, the poorest handle ever of all TFs imagineable, overgrinds showing from factory, heel sharpened so absurdly uncarefully on one side that it gives a warning torsion "tick" if you gently push it with a finger nail side to the blade.

Sorry but if one is going to deal with TFs... aaaaah... inconsistencies, then one ought to go for the real stuff not the cheap stuff... Cheap stuff from a maker like TF is expensive stuff likely coming to you in a worse state than the cheapest J-factory knives - at best.

Thanks .
Even though that TF Petty Nashiji is carbon , I'm tempted , but would order with the optional handle @ 3080 yen .

11011612_545487c239217.jpg

I don't worry so much about the carbon core mind you. Of course won't be a champion of acidic foods, but otherwise TF does W#1 very nicely IME. SS clad does a good job of minimizing how White can be a PITA at times, even W#2. Edge still not so impervious though obviously.

Won't try to discourage you in any more way. If you feel for it buy it is my best advice at this point or any point.

Everyone’s different—I tend not to overthink petty knives, and just commit to getting one. For me, pettys are 'beaters'—they're subject to much, much more wear, perhaps abuse, than my gyutos—besides small tasks like mincing ginger, they sometimes find themselves boning meats/chicken; filleting fish; cutting string, opening boxes, slicing open bags; banging against board or bone. Therefore, I prefer pettys that can take a bit of punishment; ones that don't mind getting scuffed.
Add the small contact area with the board and it becomes obvious why they require frequent sharpening and have a short life span.

I actually have the Shigeki Tanaka petty.

The knives my wife uses:

My thoughts:
Cheap (painted?) handle (doesn't bother me). Thin and good grind. excellent VG10. for me little knuckle clearance. My wife uses it a *lot*, also on the board. She does NOT baby it ;) I bought it as "budget" knife with good steel and grind. Bought it for 60 USD 9 years ago.

I actually have the Shigeki Tanaka petty.

The knives my wife uses:

My thoughts:
Cheap (painted?) handle (doesn't bother me). Thin and good grind. excellent VG10. for me little knuckle clearance. My wife uses it a *lot*, also on the board. She does NOT baby it ;) I bought it as "budget" knife with good steel and grind. Bought it for 60 USD 9 years ago.

It's available with a Wa handle :
Japanese petty knife SHIGEKI TANAKA Vg-10 damascus - Size:12/15cm

japanese-petty-knife-shigeki-tanaka-vg-10-damascus-size12-15cm-id2753-japanese-knife-shigeki-tanaka.jpg

I think it was good as budget knife, but the pricing has changed quite a bit...

any spe
Looking for suggestions for a tall 150mm stainless petty for cooking at home for myself .
Considering this Shigeki Tanaka being sold and branded by Honmamon-Japan . (also available branded Tanaka from K&S NYC)
Height is listed as 34mm .
(photo is 155mm version )

SHIGEHIRO SPECIAL VG10 Damascus Petty (Pairing) Knife 150mm Made in Japan | eBay

Tanaka VG10 Damascus Petty 150 mm with Western Handle

4K9A7581_2048x.jpg
any specific preference on the blade itself? like steel or anything?

Looking for suggestions for a tall 150mm stainless petty for cooking at home for myself .
Considering this Shigeki Tanaka being sold and branded by Honmamon-Japan . (also available branded Tanaka from K&S NYC)
Height is listed as 34mm .
(photo is 155mm version )

SHIGEHIRO SPECIAL VG10 Damascus Petty (Pairing) Knife 150mm Made in Japan | eBay

Tanaka VG10 Damascus Petty 150 mm with Western Handle

4K9A7581_2048x.jpg
thin blade Takemura R2 $162 from knifewear
big tall petty....well Gihei A#2 petty $140 from CKTG

I got myself a Takamura Migaki R2/SG2 150mm petty two weeks ago. Best knife I own, no competition. Cuts like a laser, handles like a dream. Love, love, love.

Add the small contact area with the board and it becomes obvious why they require frequent sharpening and have a short life span.
What’s fascinating is how a cook’s habits, techniques, play into things. For instance, my petty doesn’t hit the board much—except for the tip—compared to using a gyuto; I might use a petty to mince a single clove of garlic and a little ginger. 90% of knife work is from my gyuto, and I’m much more careful with it. I’ll de-bone chicken; open a cardboard box with a petty without fear.

I decided for this one I definitely want stainless ; AUS-8 , AUS-10 , VG-10 , etc.
Was getting tempted by some of the carbons being posted , but for this petty , stainless .
Ease of use / maintenance .
Unless you know what you want, know you like carbon, I’d strongly advise against getting tempted by carbon!!!!
I travel to Hawaii often with knife roll in tow—going again next month. Hawaii’s humidity, salty air, can by brutal on carbons. Yeah, I take carbons, but spend time removing rust that appears often—on one stormy day my Shig got rusty from less than an hour in the kitchen counter.
With stainless, there’s much to choose from, pros/cons with each. I’d not fret too much over what type of stainless in your price range—vg10, moly, AUS, ginsan. I’m a fan of ginsan.
Have fun going at it on your stone!

Last edited:
My wife uses the blue-handled yo version of this one in VG10. It’s very tough and takes a lot abuse. Not a laser like my Y Kato petty in AS, but definitely much more suited for the abuse heaped upon it.
JCK Natures Inazuma Series IN-1 Wa Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)

Another one in VG10
JCK Original Kagayaki VG-10 Series KV-WP Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)

As others have said, unless you have specific requirements like extra-tall for knuckle clearance on a board, I wouldn’t overthink it too much. If you do plan on using it a lot and taking care of it, e.g. not cutting on plates, then a thinner one like the Takamura / Kato / Tanaka will be more fun to use. Otherwise the JCK-branded one is tougher; you can find the same thing under various like Tsunehisa and other house brands.

My wife uses the blue-handled yo version of this one in VG10. It’s very tough and takes a lot abuse. Not a laser like my Y Kato petty in AS, but definitely much more suited for the abuse heaped upon it.
JCK Natures Inazuma Series IN-1 Wa Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)

Another one in VG10
JCK Original Kagayaki VG-10 Series KV-WP Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)

As others have said, unless you have specific requirements like extra-tall for knuckle clearance on a board, I wouldn’t overthink it too much. If you do plan on using it a lot and taking care of it, e.g. not cutting on plates, then a thinner one like the Takamura / Kato / Tanaka will be more fun to use. Otherwise the JCK-branded one is tougher; you can find the same thing under various like Tsunehisa and other house brands.

I'd agree with the knuckle clearance aspect—my petty doesn't hit the board much at all.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying one of those red-handled Tanaka petties a few years ago when you could still get them for like 50 dollars... :( Shouldn't have passed on that. Never expected those to almost triple in price.

Thanks for all the replies !
In addition to deciding on stainless , I decided to go for a standard petty .
But still have to decide on which one .
(referring to my MTH-80) OnionSlicer said , "hold it in a pinch grip and it'll basically be a tall petty."
So , a classic 2 knife pairing ; 210mm gyuto and 150mm petty .

I don't find sharpening R2/SG2 such a fun. Achieving a good deburring isn't that easy.
As you know, sharpening is a mountain I still have to climb. Luckily, the Takamura came razor-sharp out of the box. I’ll probably have a different opinion in a month. 🤔

Back