A Salt Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to hear you’re enjoying it @Michi!

I’m a bit gun shy committing to audiobooks now without a solid recommendation. The Bezos bots said I would enjoy listening to 18 hours of a book called “Debt: the first 5000 years” by David Graeber, and in hindsight, I should probably not have invested the time. I’ll have to check “Salt” the audio book out though.

Great to hear you’re enjoying it @Michi!

I’m a bit gun shy committing to audiobooks now without a solid recommendation. The Bezos bots said I would enjoy listening to 18 hours of a book called “Debt: the first 5000 years” by David Graeber, and in hindsight, I should probably not have invested the time. I’ll have to check “Salt” the audio book out though.
It's 13-odd hours long, so it's an investment. But, if I listen while I drive, the real investment drops to close to zero. And, at least sometimes, listening to an interesting audio book or podcast is more fun to me than listening to music.

I was curious as to how many salts I have kicking around, so I did a scan. There were more than I expected. I think that's most of them. (There might be one or two that I missed.)

IMG_6341.jpg

Back row:
  • Cooking salt
    That's my everyday use-for-everything salt. It is not iodised, but does contain anti-caking agent (E535, sodium ferrocyanide).
  • Iodised table salt. That's a fine-grained salt that goes into a salt shaker for the table.
  • Morton kosher salt. There is only a little bit left in that package. I brought that one back from the US because it is hard to get here and expensive. I've since switched to David's, which I can buy locally.
  • David's kosher salt. That's the salt I use when I don't want any additives, such as for pickling. Here is a photo of the Saxa cooking salt, Morton kosher, and David's kosher side by side. Compared to Morton, the Saxa has smaller grains, and the David's has larger grains:
    IMG_6339.jpg
  • Purple salt (grape infused). Tastes just like ordinary salt, but looks cooler.
  • Celtic sea salt. To be honest, I don't think it tastes that much different from Maldon sea salt. It has a slight mineral/metallic touch to it, but I have to pay attention to pick it out.
Middle row:
  • Maldon sea salt. Tastes just like salt, but is nice as a coarse finishing salt.
  • Brezen salt. Specifically for Brezen. It is fairly coarse, with a unique texture created by lots of air inclusions, so each grain is not a single hard crystal, but has a sponge-like structure, much like sintered glass. Essential for making genuine Brezen.
  • Saxa unionised table salt. That little shaker exists so I can toss it into my kitchen gear bag when going on holidays and staying at an AirBnB. (Believe it or not, but I've encountered more than one AirBnB where there is nothing in the kitchen, not even salt and pepper.)
  • Pink Himalayan salt. It's a pink rock salt that tastes just like not-pink rock salt. I rarely cook with it; the coarse form factor makes it awkward to use without a grinder. But I do use it as a bed for oysters in the shell because it looks a little more interesting than white rock salt. (I keep a large bag of it in a cupboard.)
  • Manuka smoked chilli salt from New Zealand. That one is interesting. It contains chipotle, but also big black mama, ghost, and scorpion chillies. It is surprisingly hot, and I like it a lot.
  • Rosemary salt. That's kosher salt with rosemary and garlic blended in. Goes well as a finishing salt on tomatoes, as well as on just about everything else.
  • Fleur de Sel. Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about. To me, it tastes the same as Maldon sea salt.
Front row:
  • Popcorn salt. That's kosher salt ground very finely in a spice grinder with a few drops of artificial butter flavouring added.
  • Celery salt. Another nice finishing salt for steak, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
  • Chicken salt. Goes well with fish and chips.
  • Maple smoked sea salt. Has a strong smoke aroma and works well as a finishing salt with fish (especially with a sprig of fresh tarragon added).
  • Indian black salt. This salt is truly unique. It has a very strong sulphurous smell, reminiscent of (rotten) eggs. It does work extremely well for omelette and similar egg dishes.
Other than that, there is a big bag of ordinary white rock salt under the sink. But that gets used mostly as dishwasher salt. Occasionally, I use it as a bed for shell fish.

Last edited:
I have many salts in my aresenal.

But hands down, my favorite and most Interesting texture related salt is currently:

Murray River flakes from down under.

Even my wife comments, nearly every time, I final garnish with it-- which is often.

(It bests Maldon all day and twice on Sunday with its delicate and satisfying mouth heft yet crunches easily and repeatedly)

reaction deligntful Stanley the office.gif

Last edited:
  • Saxa unionised table salt. That little shaker exists so I can toss it into my kitchen gear bag when going on holidays and staying at an AirBnB. (Believe it or not, but I've encountered more than one AirBnB where there is nothing in the kitchen, not even salt and pepper.)
Was this shaker part of a collective seasoning agreement? ;)

I guess more so looking for evoo recommendations. I'm not very knowledgeable and that is definitely a rabbit hole I'm am not looking to dive into.
I'll give it a shot with what I have in the cupboard though
I gave this a shot last night. Pretty damn good to be honest. Won't be my normal taste for ice cream, but it's was quite pleasant

I think the Salt thread is gonna kick the Pepper threads ass. wow...folks.

I don't do flavored salts. that looks like a rabbit hole of

I was curious as to how many salts I have kicking around, so I did a scan. There were more than I expected. I think that's most of them. (There might be one or two that I missed.)

View attachment 294364

Back row:
  • Cooking salt
    That's my everyday use-for-everything salt. It is not iodised, but does contain anti-caking agent (E535, sodium ferrocyanide).
  • Iodised table salt. That's a fine-grained salt that goes into a salt shaker for the table.
  • Morton kosher salt. There is only a little bit left in that package. I brought that one back from the US because it is hard to get here and expensive. I've since switched to David's, which I can buy locally.
  • David's kosher salt. That's the salt I use when I don't want any additives, such as for pickling. Here is a photo of the Saxa cooking salt, Morton kosher, and David's kosher side by side. Compared to Morton, the Saxa has smaller grains, and the David's has larger grains:
    View attachment 294360
  • Purple salt (grape infused). Tastes just like ordinary salt, but looks cooler.
  • Celtic sea salt. To be honest, I don't think it tastes that much different from Maldon sea salt. It has a slight mineral/metallic touch to it, but I have to pay attention to pick it out.
Middle row:
  • Maldon sea salt. Tastes just like salt, but is nice as a coarse finishing salt.
  • Brezen salt. Specifically for Brezen. It is fairly coarse, with a unique texture created by lots of air inclusions, so each grain is not a single hard crystal, but has a sponge-like structure, much like sintered glass. Essential for making genuine Brezen.
  • Pink Himalayan salt. It's a pink rock salt that tastes just like not-pink rock salt. I rarely cook with it; the coarse form factor makes it awkward to use without a grinder. But I do use it as a bed for oysters in the shell because it looks a little more interesting than white rock salt. (I keep a large bag of it in a cupboard.)
  • Manuka smoked chilli salt from New Zealand. That one is interesting. It contains chipotle, but also big black mama, ghost, and scorpion chillies. It is surprisingly hot, and I like it a lot.
  • Rosemary salt. That's kosher salt with rosemary and garlic blended in. Goes well as a finishing salt on tomatoes, as well as on just about everything else.
  • Fleur de Sel. Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about. To me, it tastes the same as Maldon sea salt.
Front row:
  • Popcorn salt. That's kosher salt ground very finely in a spice grinder with a few drops of artificial butter flavouring added.
  • Celery salt. Another nice finishing salt for steak, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
  • Chicken salt. Goes well with fish and chips.
  • Maple smoked sea salt. Has a strong smoke aroma and works well as a finishing salt with fish (especially with a sprig of fresh tarragon added).
  • Indian black salt. This salt is truly unique. It has a very strong sulphurous smell, reminiscent of (rotten) eggs. It does work extremely well for omelette and similar egg dishes.
Other than that, there is a big bag of ordinary white rock salt under the sink. But that gets used mostly as dishwasher salt. Occasionally, I use it as a bed for shell fish.
Oh, I hadn’t even considered my flavoured salts. My most used are my chicken salt and rosemary salt, which are both great on potatoes.
Is Chicken Salt an Aussie thing? Or is it also an international thing?
It’s used more prolifically in the wild in Fish and Chip shops (aka Chippies) where one is asked to choose “plain or chicken salt” as the molten hot oil still beads over the retrieved golden brown potato crust. Also in charcoal chicken shops where it is the only option for salt, thereby differentiating in the market place the difference between deep fried potato from a chicken shop vs the same chip from a chippy.

I have many salts in my aresenal.

But hands down, my favorite and most Interesting texture related salt is currently:

Murray River flakes from down under.

Even my wife comments, nearly every time, I final garnish with it-- which is often.

(It bests Maldon all day and twice on Sunday with its delicate and satisfying mouth heft yet crunches easily and repeatedly)
Murray River flakes are certainly shaping up as my wife's favourite out of the ones that we've tried so far.
The combination of blushed colouring, flakey but not hard texture, and milder flavour than Maldon seem to push it too number 1 for her.

Murray River Salt flakes ordered.

Salt is the best rabbit hole ever. Oh look, I'm ordering another salt, how horrible for the budget, I guess I'm out of control here.

Let's see, 16 bucks for a supply that will last me a year or three, depending, and won't ever go bad. At this rate, I could even tell the wife about it.

I used my Sitka Salt yesterday. admittedly, I am no salt connoisseur, but it taste clean. the flake is large, but delicate.

Sitka Pure Salt was probably a total tourist trap, but they have a good plain salt. they had crazy ass flavors which I passed on. even the sales person was, "you don't want any of our smoked salts?!". nope. plain please.

Questions I'm interested in understanding further:
1) What are the texture and flavour qualities that you look for in a finishing salt?
2) What flavour qualities (or texture) make a good cooking salt?

1.) I like flaky crunchy salt as a finisher. If I had anything with delicate flavors that I want to add that won’t get “cooked out.” TBH I stick to plain Maldons most of the time.

2.) For me I like Kosher salts because i pinch to season most of the time. Very pinchable salt. I think it’s most important to know your salt and know how it acts under different scenarios. Stuck with the two that worked best for me. My In laws cook with Pink Himalayan salt because it’s at Costco lol.

cooking salt for me needs to be dosable for the purpose, I'm use pretty coarse salt for pasta water and the likes and finer salt for more delicate amounts and stuff with less water to dissolve it.

For finishing I look for crunch and sometimes color, selected dosability...f.e. using a single huge grain on a scallop does not work for me.

1.) I like flaky crunchy salt as a finisher. If I had anything with delicate flavors that I want to add that won’t get “cooked out.” TBH I stick to plain Maldons most of the time.

2.) For me I like Kosher salts because i pinch to season most of the time. Very pinchable salt. I think it’s most important to know your salt and know how it acts under different scenarios. Stuck with the two that worked best for me. My In laws cook with Pink Himalayan salt because it’s at Costco lol.
Thanks for your thoughts.
With the salts that I’m trying at the moment, the biggest variation seems to be in texture, which seems to change how long the salt stays on your taste buds. I have historically used Maldon for cooking, since I already had it on hand, and most of our seasoning is kind of done at the end as my wife and I have different tastes with respect to the best saltiness.
I’m wondering whether Maldon is too “sea like” for good cooking though. It seems like a David’s Kosher Salt might be a better cooking option?

Thanks for your thoughts.
With the salts that I’m trying at the moment, the biggest variation seems to be in texture, which seems to change how long the salt stays on your taste buds. I have historically used Maldon for cooking, since I already had it on hand, and most of our seasoning is kind of done at the end as my wife and I have different tastes with respect to the best saltiness.
I’m wondering whether Maldon is too “sea like” for good cooking though. It seems like a David’s Kosher Salt might be a better cooking option?
They both have their place. What I like most is having a bunch to choose from, and picking the right one for the dish.

the Murray River salt arrived, and it's going to be a keeper, wow, great texture indeed, not too salty, great crunch!
After all this excitement, I got a bad case of FOMO…

The Murray River salt is nice, good texture. The taste is much the same as my other flaky salts, but it's prettier :)

I ordered their salt cellar bundle and decided to use the salt cellar for my normal cooking salt.

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

After all this excitement, I got a bad case of FOMO…

The Murray River salt is nice, good texture. The taste is much the same as my other flaky salts, but it's prettier :)

I ordered their salt cellar bundle and decided to use the salt cellar for my normal cooking salt.

View attachment 296512

View attachment 296513

That is a very pretty box.
So you’re a bit meh on Murray River salt flakes?

That is a very pretty box.
So you’re a bit meh on Murray River salt flakes?
No, they are fine. I like the texture, and the colour looks cool. As far as taste is concerned, it's a neutral salt taste, same as my other flaky salts. That's a good thing, IMO. I'll probably keep buying it, especially since it's now available at supermarkets.

Murray River Salt flakes ordered.

Salt is the best rabbit hole ever. Oh look, I'm ordering another salt, how horrible for the budget, I guess I'm out of control here.

Let's see, 16 bucks for a supply that will last me a year or three, depending, and won't ever go bad. At this rate, I could even tell the wife about it.
...."a supply that will last me a year or three, depending, and won't ever go bad".

I suddenly remember buying a small amount of Himalayan pink salt - it must have been sea water at some point a gazillion years ago - and being surprised at the best-before-date on the packaging 🧐

No, they are fine. I like the texture, and the colour looks cool. As far as taste is concerned, it's a neutral salt taste, same as my other flaky salts. That's a good thing, IMO. I'll probably keep buying it, especially since it's now available at supermarkets.
Good to hear. What are your thoughts about how it compares to say Fleur De Sel?

My wife watched an Escape to the Country episode on the weekend (I think that means we’ve crossed a stage of life boundary 🤣 ), but they featured these Scottish salt producers that had an interesting way to pre-evaporate prior to the cooking process:
https://www.blackthornsalt.co.uk/My wife has now set me the task of trying to source some……
PM me if you’re in the UK and interested in cost coverage to post some out to Australia, or do a salt swap for some Murray River (or Tasmanian)?

Good to hear. What are your thoughts about how it compares to say Fleur De Sel?
Doing a side-by-side comparison of the Murray River Salt and the Fleur de Sel I have here (Le Guérandais), the Murray River Salt is a little finer in texture and maybe not quite as sharp. Both are neutral in taste, but the Murray River seems to be more restrained, not quite as salty. The mouthfeel of the Murray River Salt is definitely more delicate, and the flakes are thinner and feel like they fall apart more easily (similar to the fine internal texture of Brezen salt).

I don't see a reason to keep both around, to be honest. The difference isn't huge but, overall, I prefer the Murray River Salt.

I don't see a reason to keep both around, to be honest. The difference isn't huge but, overall, I prefer the Murray River Salt.
I’m kind of the same. For me it’s actually the texture and colour that’s more interesting of the Murray River, but flavour wise it’s a little milder but not much milder. I’m going to run through all of my stocks progressively, but the Murray is probably a keeper.

I just finished listening to this. That's an interesting and well-written book. All sorts of fascinating history lessons in there. I had no idea how important salt was for commerce in the past, and how entire economies and empires crucially depended on the supply of salt.

I had a good time and learned a few things. This is definitely a book worth reading or listening to!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back