All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re coming up on the 100 year anniversary of 440A steel. It would be awesome to participate with a commemorative edition 440A nakiri with a denty axe grind at 54 HRC.

Sry for my ignorance @HumbleHomeCook, but what does it take to participate?
Sending free cleavers out to all kkf members or so? 🐒

Well, I mean that's a little extreme Ben. You just need to send a free one to the event founder. That's me. 😁

Okay, okay, not really. It really takes nothing more than using, and if so inclined, exclusively using rectangles for the whole month of March. Of course pictures are highly encouraged.

I just called out you and your fellow makers in case you wanted to have a knife prepped for sale or anything. Absolutely no need to do anything at all! People love the work you all do, especially with nakiri and cleavers, so it might be a good way for you folks to get some business and some KKF'ers to grab a knife from one of you. Or maybe pics or videos of a rectangle build shared through the month? Posted in this thread of course.

If it is about rectangles, we're in. :)

Again, and being very serious here, there is no expectation of anything from any maker! This was just a silly idea I had last year and some of the folks really enjoyed and want it to keep going, so we're back for a second year. I'm interested to see what the participation is like this year. @mengwong even floated the idea of t-shirts!

Last edited:
OK... last year I participated mainly with a couple of cheap chinese cleavers. Those have gone to a new owner. Now I have a couple of nakiris, one Kaibei (review here) and a smaller nakiri of unknow... everything (steel, maker, brand etc etc).

PXL_20231202_172919657.jpg

Perhaps I also need a bigger rectangle if I should participate this year?

I have considered offloading both of these smaller rectangles as I never use them.

OK... last year I participated mainly with a couple of cheap chinese cleavers. Those have gone to a new owner. Now I have a couple of nakiris, one Kaibei (review here) and a smaller nakiri of unknow... everything (steel, maker, brand etc etc).

View attachment 285566

Perhaps I also need a bigger rectangle if I should participate this year?

I have considered offloading both of these smaller rectangles as I never use them.
The Chopper King small slicer was a great first step into cleavers and last ARM really made me realize how versatile they really are. Damn good deal at $80 for V-Toku-1 core

Okay, okay, not really. It really takes nothing more than using, and if so inclined, exclusively using rectangles for the whole month of March. Of course pictures are highly encouraged.

As luck would have it... I recently, selfishly, just built myself a big one 👀! 240x100. ~465g. Apex ultra mono.
So I'm totally equipped and ready 😬. Like Rambo. But more Schwarzenegger style. Without muscles... Nevermind.

As long as I don't forget until March, I'll try to participate. Looking forward to it and thx for the info :).

As luck would have it... I recently, selfishly, just built myself a big one 👀! 240x100. ~465g. Apex ultra mono.
So I'm totally equipped and ready 😬. Like Rambo. But more Schwarzenegger style. Without muscles... Nevermind.

As long as I don't forget until March, I'll try to participate. Looking forward to it and thx for the info :).

We'll remind you!

:) 👍

If I may, I'd suggest a new thread "All Rectangle March - 2024" - might be nice to keep each year separate for reading and browsing simplicity.

I'm in this year :D

Yeah I floated the question and some folks want it here and others in a new thread. Maybe when we're closer I'll do a poll.

Pics? Sounds awesome!

Of me without muscles, or the knife?

If you mean the knife - here you go 🙃.
That would have been interesting too, but yeah I was referring to the cleaver. I think the cleaver was the sexier choice. You can make mine like that. You still owe me remember.

Back