Any recommendations for flat edges wooden spoons / wooden spatulas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m on the hunt for a replacement for my very old and cheap bamboo flat edged spoon / spatula.
I’ve tried the Russian roulette of Bezos Inc purchases and failed miserably (although family members have benefited with free wooden spoons). So putting the call out for any suggestions.
It’s about 12” long (295mm), a little over 2” wide (55mm), with absolutely no flex, a very shallow almost flat scoop, a flat almost 90 degree perpendicular edge that thins towards the edge. It’s perfect for scraping the bottom of simmering pots as well as the edge is great for frying items.
I’ve tried randomly buying expensive wooden spoons online but while they are lovely, they’re just not as useful as my cheapo one.
I’d love to hear what you’re enjoying using and let me know if you’ve got any suggestions or recommendations!

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

I’ll check them out. How do they go for flex?
I guess my primary use case is the flat edge either scraping the bottom of a pot or just moving smaller items around in a frying pan. I do use it for stirring pots of stuff but that’s probably secondary.
Do you have the wooden spreader? That thing looks so cute, I’m sure my kids would love one (each)!

I’ll check them out. How do they go for flex?
I guess my primary use case is the flat edge either scraping the bottom of a pot or just moving smaller items around in a frying pan. I do use it for stirring pots of stuff but that’s probably secondary.
Do you have the wooden spreader? That thing looks so cute, I’m sure my kids would love one (each)!

No flex. They'll handle all the things you mention.

I gifted a spreader t my daughter and she likes it. But, here's the deal, look close at the "skinny" end of the spatula. It's a little thicker and rounded. Works great for getting into jars. :)

No flex. They'll handle all the things you mention.

I gifted a spreader t my daughter and she likes it. But, here's the deal, look close at the "skinny" end of the spatula. It's a little thicker and rounded. Works great for getting into jars. :)
Getting into jars? As in prying open the lid from the glass screw threads? Or just spreading stuff from an already open jam jar (as an example)?

For just a spatula, Earlywood's offerings absolutely rock. I have all the sizes and multiples of the large and medium. Everyone that I've gifted one to loves them as well.

I use mine daily.
Seconded. I felt guilty paying so much for sticks, but I almost always reach for them instead of my more normally-shaped wooden spatulas. They are just right for scraping pan bottoms and sides.

They've all held up well, but so far the ebony seems to have the durability edge, which surprised me. I thought it would be the maple.

The Earlywood ones are okay, but they are very narrow. I have four of their flat sautes in blodwood, and while they're nice to have around, I think they're too narrow to scrape and deglaze efficiently unless you're cooking in a small pan. They're also not great turner/flippers. They're alright in smaller pans though. I like that they're straight edges along each side, so you can use them to scrape a pile stuff off a cutting board and into a pan and then stir. One of my long sautes has a big of corkscrew-style warping for some reason, but it doesn't significantly impact performance.

I just looked and Earlywood now sells something called "The Big Tera." It's like a wider, thicker (but still thinnish-behind-the-edge) version of their long saute. I think what I'd buy from them now is the "El Quatro" pack of 4 long sautes in various woods and 2 Big Teras (one in each wood available). And maybe a smaller Tera or saute. Gotta catch 'em all!

Apart from those, I find the kinda generic acacia wood spatulas to do the job. And here's a similar one in teak. I don't own either of those in particular, but if you search for them on Bezos.com, you'll find a billion flat edged spats that are great for stirring and deglazing. Get a thin one and it'll be okay at turning and flipping too.

Last edited:
I just looked and Earlywood now sells something called "The Big Tera." It's like a wider, thicker (but still thinnish-behind-the-edge) version of their long saute. I think what I'd buy from them now is the "El Quatro" pack of 4 long sautes in various woods and 2 Big Teras (one in each wood available). And maybe a smaller Tera or saute. Gotta catch 'em all!
Yup, it's always The Big Tera for any pan over about 8". I don't find them much use for flipping, either. For flipping, it's pretty much always the thin flexible fish spatula if I'm not using tongs.

They’re totally unromantic but I like glass-filled nylon (e.g. Matfer Exoglass) for these sorts of things. Dishwasher-safe and so durable they will probably be dug up by archaeologists some day.

Look for a better wood than bamboo. They oil better to me. I have pretty much have gotten rid of all my bamboo. My favorite is a flat bottom spoon I got at CIA in NAPA California.
Walmart has some Pioneer women stuff that is cheap and good.

I ordered my Whetstone Woodenware set of various spatulas, scrapers, spoons etc back in 2017 and they;'re still holding up great. Very thick, well made hard Sugar Maple. Glancing back at their website, it appears they've expanded their line a bit more over the years.

https://www.whetstonewoodenware.com/catalog.html

Back