Anyone shipped anything heavy across the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how best to ship 'less than a truckload' from Texas to the PNW ... specifically it is an offset smoker / backyard version but still 800+ Lbs worth of steel.

Looking into uship.com / etc. but also likely considering a road trip to go get it (truck + trailer) ... that would allow me to go on BBQ boondoggle plus pick up a cord (or so) of TX post oak for the trip back and help with my delusions of being a "proper pit master" ... LOL

Thx

You buying used?

Every time I got close to buying a used offset from Texas the shipping cost was prohibitive. Last time I got a quote it was like $1250 to get it to So Cal.

When I researched how much to drive there, rent a big enough trailer and drive it home it was even more. My problem was, once I started down that rabbit hole, I was able to convince myself that rather than getting a 120 gallon backyard pit and renting a trailer I should just get a 250 or 500 on a trailer to "save" the trailer rental.

Long story short, I shared my (crazy) thoughts with the wife and she quashed the Texas pit pick up road trip. I'll have to stick with the Kamado, 2 IVCs and Santa Maria for now.

I ended up getting an offset from a local manufacturer to be built early next year.

Thx JaksQ&B,

I am actually buying new ... long story but getting a Moberg backyard ... looked at all the same things you did and also tried to make the "save" the rental argument ... failed for that ... LOL

Better half has 'indulged' this little boon doggle (not sure why except she has never cooked and I made it sound 'fun' for the road trip ...).

Couldn't find a local (PNW) offset maker with a pedigree had some who offered to "try" but don't have the energy to mess with that - looked very hard at a couple in SoCal (just to reduce the distance) but pricing was fairly similar & without the reputation although I think they would be fine / i was just a bit concerned ... Sunny chatted with me several times and his timing worked ... now comes the hard part ... but I kinda got the time, truck and can rent the trailer there easy enough to get it back the PNW ...

Figured before I made the drive I would ask around ... not just on KKF ... we shall see ... really just want to go for the BBQ ...

Thx

I've been trying to sell my wife on a Texas bbq tour / pick up my custom pit trip for at least 15+ years. There was a chance before kids.
I hadn't really planned on an offset stick burner and would have been happy with the LSG Mini IVC and the Santa Maria, but burning wood is fun.
I ended up ordering a FatStack from down here in Southern California when they first introduced the new backyard smokers. They are 20 minutes from my house.

i'm kinda surprised the vendor doesn't know how to ship his product around the country. did you try asking?

i'm kinda surprised the vendor doesn't know how to ship his product around the country. did you try asking?

I did ask but / they are a small shop & do high end 250/500/1000 gallon units that (fore the most part) are integrated on trailers so pick really is his thing. I have chatted with Franklin & Backline that do organize shipping but given that I am not buy from them not an area I can explore. I will reach out again to see he has had any folks since my order worked with the shipping but I am intending on going down there regardless to receive it and get it on a truck (mine or otherwise).

I've been trying to sell my wife on a Texas bbq tour / pick up my custom pit trip for at least 15+ years. There was a chance before kids.
I hadn't really planned on an offset stick burner and would have been happy with the LSG Mini IVC and the Santa Maria, but burning wood is fun.
I ended up ordering a FatStack from down here in Southern California when they first introduced the new backyard smokers. They are 20 minutes from my house.

FatStack was one of the options I was looking at but it was a bit difficult to get a delivery date / looked like it was end of '22 with some sort of build out of a production area ... just concerned me a bit having to pay for the unit so early to wait but they certainly look like great offsets and the mad scientist was impressed in his review ... Moberg offered to make a few now and I have seen his already plus wanted to get down there anyway ... silly in many ways but need a new hobby ... let me know how the FatStack turns out as they seem well build and I love the firebox/cowboy grill setup.

Call a ltl company that has lift gate trucks available on the delivery end such as R&L unless you have a dock at your house lol.... Price your shipping first. It's even crazier than everything else right now...good luck

I know that this thread is about shipping inquiries, but is every BBQ aficionado aware of the BBQ Summer Camp, and Camp Brisket sponsored by the Foodways Texas group here at UT, and Tex. A&M?? I have belonged for 5 years, and finally drew a ticket to the Summer Camp... This is one of the most highly prized BBQ events in Texas, and available only by lottery.. If you have not heard, look up Foodways. They sponsor lots of events, but the BBQ classes are the ones which attract the most attention due to the classes.

Any kind of shipping like this is going to be very, very expensive. I’ve bought a few pieces of XL restaurant equipment over the past 18 months at liquidation auctions and have ended up paying $1,500-3,100 in freight charges for similar LTL deliveries like you are looking at. Shipping is insane right now and there isn’t any secret to finding cheaper prices. Shops around some and then just go with one unless you plan to trailer it yourself for fun. You’ll want to make sure you get a last mile lift gate delivery and that the company will deliver to a residential address. Additionally, don’t expect any help getting it off the truck unless it’s speced as a white glove delivery.

Any kind of shipping like this is going to be very, very expensive. I’ve bought a few pieces of XL restaurant equipment over the past 18 months at liquidation auctions and have ended up paying $1,500-3,100 in freight charges for similar LTL deliveries like you are looking at. Shipping is insane right now and there isn’t any secret to finding cheaper prices. Shops around some and then just go with one unless you plan to trailer it yourself for fun. You’ll want to make sure you get a last mile lift gate delivery and that the company will deliver to a residential address. Additionally, don’t expect any help getting it off the truck unless it’s speced as a white glove delivery.
Best bet is if you have a friend you can go to who owns a business that ships ltl freight regularly and use their established discount.

Shipping was always going to be a cost issue just worse now ... so since I travel 100+ / nights a year so hotels are all free will just likely do the drive down and back. I haven't done that drive anyway so will make a trip of it ... worse things ... plus my Tundra just showed up so nice to get acquainted with it on that sort of drive at my own pace ... Thanks all / will still get a # from a LTL shipper just to see what it would be ...

Will keep this thread appraised of the progress ...

You might try getting a free trial membership for The Pit at Amazing Ribs. With over 17,000 members, someone might be able to help:

Our Pitmaster Club Can Up Your Game! Try It For Free For 30 Days!

And if you don't know which BBQ joints ya wanna try, you could get lots of suggestions.

Thx RonB - very much appreciated / been around Amazing Ribs since they started & had a variety of smokers over a period of time (mostly Green Eggs but some others & a ton of cooks/friends with a variety ... even played around with them in the SoCal BBQ comps ...).

I know that this thread is about shipping inquiries, but is every BBQ aficionado aware of the BBQ Summer Camp, and Camp Brisket sponsored by the Foodways Texas group here at UT, and Tex. A&M?? I have belonged for 5 years, and finally drew a ticket to the Summer Camp... This is one of the most highly prized BBQ events in Texas, and available only by lottery.. If you have not heard, look up Foodways. They sponsor lots of events, but the BBQ classes are the ones which attract the most attention due to the classes.

Thx rocketman ... rocket scientist here as well ... at least for 35 years anyway ... have seen the Camp Brisket before and definitely looks like it would be a lot of fun ... been to a few Cochon555 events and love all thing 'heritage breed piggy' plus many butcher classes over the years as breaking down creatures has always been a major interest of mine ... will look up Foodways and see what I can find out. The CIA cooking enthusiast classes in San Antonio have long been on my list of things to do / done a couple in CA but prefer the line up in TX ...

Here's another thought.

If ya haul it yourself, be careful where you park it at night if you are taking your time driving home. I have a friend who used to trailer his Harley from VA to Daytona Bike Week every year, but one year someone stole the trailer, bike, and everything he had stowed on it.

Some way to lock it in place would also be helpful - just sayin'. ;)

Thx RonB - yes this is high on my list of potential issues with the return drive along with my new Tundra itself ... I own a couple of GPS trackers that I am going to make use of but very much hope that is never an issue. Primarily I am going to use lighted/secure parking (using a trip planner for help with that).

What a coincidence - there was a story on the local news tonight about the rise in theft of rental moving trucks. Especially along major roads and where people park them overnight. Their two main suggestions were a gps tracker and a steering wheel lock. I would add a lock that prevents a trailer from being removed from your truck.

Our son wants to help me build him an entertainment center. He will drive his pickup to VA from TX so he can haul it back. I told him he needs to get a ground floor room so he doesn't have to leave it in his truck overnight.

One of the industrial places I worked at, the warehouse was nice enough to let me ship stuff there. The benefit was business dock to business dock, and a cost savings. Several woodworking machines in the neighborhood of 1200 - 1800 lbs each, and I even used their recommended carrier to ship a motor grader from Pennsylvania to New Mexico for approximately $2500. This was about a decade ago, so that price would be triple to quadruple right about now.

Montezuma. Are you getting one of his new 110 backyard units. my son and i met up with sunny at the shop back in April. Great guy as other than I’m on his list for a 250, he never met me. Took time on his day off to meet and talk smokers. He showed me the pile of cylinders that he is turning into the 110s, as he has been having trouble sourcing materials. back in 2014 I used uship for my Shirley fab patio. Look for guys that transport motorcycles and such. if you are on Facebook. There is a guy Kevin white of legendary services group LLC. Kevin delivers tons of Shirley fab cookers across the country. I don’t know what the prices are now with gas, but historically they have been around a buck a mile. Or just go and pick it up. Bring a cooler and hit an HEB, the meat selection is awesome. There is a good brewery not too far from Sunny’s place and if you are into whiskey, the whiskey tribes crowded barrel is 30 mins or so Away. My 250 should be done in October, I am planning my trip to pick it up. Best of luck and I am sure that new backyard will be awesome

Thx senor - I picked mine up on May 24th ... Sunny is awesome/great guy ... he left the stack un-attached so I could more easily ship it (enclosed trailer / UHaul). Piece of cake but took some time to get down / back ...

A 250 would be AWESOME ... but even this one is above and beyond what I need TBH ... still great equipment ... still working getting time to get her burned in and running ... time is not my friend at the moment ... typing in an airport ...

I knew I was late to this party for shipping advise. I am glad you got down there and met Sunny. Pretty amazing how he pumps out those cookers with only 2 other guys. A 250 is more than I need too, but I almost talked myself into a 500. lol I like to cook on one level and I can't wait to get that trailer. I got in line just before the price increase, in fact I might be the last on the list at the old price. Can't wait, as we are due for around October sometime, so right around a 1.5 year wait.

Latest posts

Back