Are You a Freak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freak?

• Yes

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
Yes, I've had my eye on that one, but it's about $250 more than I'd like to spend. Damascus is simply window dressing that adds nothing to the performance. OTOH, it is a Toyama - I have a 180 Nakiri and 240 Gyuto of his. Great stuff!
agree, same thoughts here.

wish he made a migaki version. maybe Watanabe does? but the profile looks very different from Wat santoku…

Yes, I've had my eye on that one, but it's about $250 more than I'd like to spend. Damascus is simply window dressing that adds nothing to the performance. OTOH, it is a Toyama - I have a 180 Nakiri and 240 Gyuto of his. Great stuff!
I'm sure you could get a shorter version of the Unshu @blokey had made up (~215x55)

I don't really like anything under 165 mm (except my 140 sabaki but that's a butcher knife) and 240s have kinda melted my brain. I don't use my paring knife at all, just a 165 bunka tip for anything small.

Got a biiig board to effectively replace my counter top as a cutting surface so I could keep sizing up. Haven't dealt with a 270+ yet, but that's just a yet.

Before:
20220927_203015.jpg

After:

20221127_191129.jpg

Freak? Not sure honestly

I don't really like anything under 165 mm (except my 140 sabaki but that's a butcher knife) and 240s have kinda melted my brain. I don't use my paring knife at all, just a 165 bunka tip for anything small.

Got a biiig board to effectively replace my counter top as a cutting surface so I could keep sizing up. Haven't dealt with a 270+ yet, but that's just a yet.

Before:
View attachment 248225

After:

View attachment 248226

Freak? Not sure honestly
270 is the sweet spot.

Before:
View attachment 248225

After:

View attachment 248226

Freak? Not sure honestly
I have a very similar feeling. I just enjoy large knives more than small. I’ve tried to like anything under 170mm and I just haven’t clicked with any. And I honestly just prefer 225 as my minimum. The only reason I keep my mukimono is because I have that deep…. Interest in beveled kiritsuke tips with blonde handles…

I use a lot of 210 gyutos and sometime a 240.
Then I use my Debas for cutting cheese and my Yanabias to cut beef.
So I am probably completely normal and not a....

'By all means mince your scallions with Gyuto now. But when the final reckoning comes - you'll be sorry you never learnt to to use Caidao.'
- Oliver J North

'Ollie North now has a truly awesome 98% approval rating. Making him more popular than Ronald Reagan, Jesus Christ, or even pure cocaine.'
- Hunter S Thompson

Fp.jpg

Last edited:
agree, same thoughts here.

wish he made a migaki version. maybe Watanabe does? but the profile looks very different from Wat santoku…
Choppin, I reached out to Shinichi a couple weeks ago about a 55mm x 180mm Santoku. He said no can do. I have his 165mm Santoku, and I wouldn't be surprised if Toyama makes his knives. They're indistinguishable from Toyama in terms of construction.

Choppin, I reached out to Shinichi a couple weeks ago about a 55mm x 180mm Santoku. He said no can do. I have his 165mm Santoku, and I wouldn't be surprised if Toyama makes his knives. They're indistinguishable from Toyama in terms of construction.
Would he do a Nakiri in that size?

Then get yourself a grinder.

SANTOKU!

Oddly, one knife I use a lot is a 180mm Tadafusa W#2 yanagiba I got for cheap from a Japanese hardware store on ebay. It is no frills, terrible FF, came with some scratches and pockmarks, and has a crappy handle with a plastic ferrule, but it is very sharp and slices better than some of my more expensive knives.

Would he do a Nakiri in that size?

Then get yourself a grinder.

SANTOKU!
Ha! I already have a Toyama Nakiri 180mm x 60mm - I use it a lot, I'm just not a rectangle true believer like some. Mostly that's between my ears!

What's a freak in this context?

One who, for home use, routinely uses and prefers knives that aren't gyuto and/or aren't 210mm or 240mm.

Maybe you like 180 or 270 gyuto. Maybe you prefer santoku, nakiri, or cleavers. Maybe you're a super freak and regularly use a suji or little 120 funayuki.

For me, I keep coming back to my preferences for 180ish knives. Still deciding on if I have a gyuto, santoku, or nakiri preference.

So, are you a freak?

🤪
Gyuto-centric here.
Preferably 225–228mm heel to tip.
All of these fits the bill.
L to R: 225, 225, 225, 226, 228, 225.
14FEBC5C-0E79-4E96-BBDB-EBD364C0EE9B.jpg

Back