Belgian Blue Whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you speak a little more to the process you use to sharpen a peeler. I have an Oxo peeler with two edges facing each other and would love to be able to sharpen it occasionally but it’s configuration has me stumped as to sharpening.

I've also been using a pocket sized BB on veggie peelers. Ours go in the dishwasher so they don't stay sharp that long.

I use a pocket sized SiC stone (the cheap ones that are sold in hardware stores for pocket knives) to create an edge and then to refine the burr with lower pressure. Then I complete the deburring with the BB. Very nice to have sharp veggie peelers again.

Could you speak a little more to the process you use to sharpen a peeler. I have an Oxo peeler with two edges facing each other and would love to be able to sharpen it occasionally but it’s configuration has me stumped as to sharpening.

View attachment 217374
Wow, your peeler looks blunt!

I just drag the peeler's edge along the stone, kinda like I'm peeling the stone. I use the stone wet. Start with firm pressure until you can feel a burr, then gradually lighten the pressure to abrade the burr. You could at this stage deburr with a toothpick or similar, I guess.

Then I switched to the BB. I used medium pressure to work up a bit of a slurry (I guess you could use a diamond plate for this), then light pressure until it felt pretty sharp, I guess for a couple of minutes. It makes lots of scrreeeechy sounds

🙏🙏🙏

Wow, your peeler looks blunt!

I just drag the peeler's edge along the stone, kinda like I'm peeling the stone. I use the stone wet. Start with firm pressure until you can feel a burr, then gradually lighten the pressure to abrade the burr. You could at this stage deburr with a toothpick or similar, I guess.

Then I switched to the BB. I used medium pressure to work up a bit of a slurry (I guess you could use a diamond plate for this), then light pressure until it felt pretty sharp, I guess for a couple of minutes. It makes lots of scrreeeechy sounds

I used the BB on the basis that the rolling garnets are supposed to abrade the burr, so in my mind's eye, I was using it as a burr muncher rather than a fine stone.

Yeah normally an Idwal wouldn't release any particles at all really, but I had slurried it with an atoma in that instance, so perhaps something similar might've been happening.

Unfortunately I'm nothing like enough of a metallurgist to have much of idea as to exactly what's going on. But I'll definitely be experimenting more with using fine grit stones as a final burr reduction or minimisation stage when sharpening inexpensive stainless in the future.

Another stone that might work well for it are Tams. You should keep an eye out for them - a huge number were exported to Sydney in the last 150 years, so you can find 'em on the cheap surprisingly often in Aus.

(I was also going to ask for vegetable peeler tips, but I see you've got there already. Ta - I'll have to give a go sometime.)

Here's a petty in damascus clad VG10. Polished on a Belgian Blue following Cerax 3k. Pretty nice, but can see light scratches in the right lighting. Lighting at my parents house is altogether bad, so sorry the pictures aren't as good as they could be.

vg10 damasc bbw.jpg

Here you can see some scratches going diagonally. The scratch pattern from the Cerax 3k was perpendicular to the edge. I've done them both diagonally before, and it's a lot more difficult to get rid of those 3k scratches. Do it with the 3k perpendicular and the BBW diagonally was much easier.
belgian blue polish scratches.jpg

do you think BBW could be used as a finishing stone for a Deba? I’m thinking both Ura and front. From what understood BBW is a hard stone and it should be possible to keep it flat. Also the toothiness shouldn’t be a problem for Deba right? I guess it’s just for a yanagiba that the toothiness wouldn’t be desirable.

I’ve fiended for a stone for touch ups. Fast, medium high grit, and easy. This BBW from the venerable @cotedupy has crushed it. After a couple thousand $$ in the jnat world (I know, I got only basics, no gokujyou or naader stones for me) there is nothing that’s earned my trust like this thing. Two under-appreciated wonders.
03C905D6-3334-4F80-A4C0-FFA0F39159DE.jpeg

Keen as all heck, toothy but not grabby, and easier than the hot girls’ friend. A little skinny - just my type, gorgeous with a little purple in her hair. Just a couple swipes and I don’t even need to test the edge, I know what I’m working with. I’m a believer and this awesome stone has a place in my life. Ngl I was a fool to discount UKDM stones.
80C91D9D-3229-492E-9B34-7EF8B9917CB9.jpeg

Sanjo out the *** taper. Don’t see a lot of these old maz nakiri but I’m enjoying the sweet heat treat and the sheer mass in hand.

Last edited:
I’ve fiended for a stone for touch ups. Fast, medium high grit, and easy. This BBW from the venerable @cotedupy has crushed it. After a couple thousand $$ in the jnat world (I know, I got only basics, no gokujyou or naader stones for me) there is nothing that’s earned my trust like this thing. Two under-appreciated wonders.
View attachment 219288

Keen as all heck, toothy but not grabby, and easier than the hot girls’ friend. Just a couple swipes and I don’t even need to test the edge, I know what I’m working with. I’m a believer and this awesome stone has a place in my life. Ngl I was a fool to discount UKDM stones.
View attachment 219289
Sanjo out the *** taper. Don’t see a lot of these old maz nakiri but I’m enjoying the sweet heat and the sheer mass in hand.
Jesus man. I feel partly responsible lol. Im sorry

So where should I be looking if I wanna try a combination couticule bbw in the us?
Cotedupy is your low cost gold standard for this type of stone I believe, even shipped from the UK. Dude doesn’t mess around, but unfortunately I keep referring people to him without asking 😅

@jwthaparc you were (and still are) a huge part of the journey. Can’t thank you enough!

Cotedupy is your low cost gold standard for this type of stone I believe, even shipped from the UK. Dude doesn’t mess around, but unfortunately I keep referring people to him without asking 😅

@jwthaparc you were (and still are) a huge part of the journey. Can’t thank you enough!
Idk if thats a complement, or an accusation 😂

Reactions: Pie
“The garnets do not leave any tiny burrs on the blade, which is unique to the whetstones”

Whoaaa is this actually true cuz wait a minute..
No way thats actually true, at least if its abrading.

Even if its too small to feel, i guarantee there is a burr being left, if youre sharpening like normal.

Edit: im talking about before removing the burr. If you are honing a razor doing alternating strokes the whole time, you might never raise a burr like with normal knife sharpening. But that can be done on other stones besides coticules.

No way thats actually true, at least if its abrading.

Even if its too small to feel, i guarantee there is a burr being left, if youre sharpening like normal.

Edit: im talking about before removing the burr. If you are honing a razor doing alternating strokes the whole time, you might never raise a burr like with normal knife sharpening. But that can be done on other stones besides coticules.
Truth . Too many confounding factors, alcohol being one of them 🤣

“The garnets do not leave any tiny burrs on the blade, which is unique to the whetstones”

Whoaaa is this actually true cuz wait a minute..
My experience is different. My stone will create a burr. But it does seem to be weaker/smaller than a synthetic stone of comparable grit.

Back