Belgian Blue Whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yessir, thought if I were to try them would be fun to get a combo. I see a seller on etsy with some combos...most of em are small chunks tho :(
Anything larger than the "standard" size of ~170x40 will be harder to find and increasingly more expensive. If you're trolling auctions for a vintage combi, a reasonably dished coti side is a pretty good indicator that it's more suitable for knives and woodworking tools than razors. If you want one with known sharpening properties upfront, than sourcing one from members here (or over on one of the many razor forums) who's information you trust would be your best bet. I check US yaBe very regularly and it's very rare for any identifiable naturally bonded combi to go for less than about what you can get a comparable size one from AC for. I think I saw <5 total in 2022 that I would have considered final sale finishing under the normal "market rate", and I won two of those.

You can email Ardennes-Coticule and let them know what you are looking for. Responses in the past years ago were spotty, but after a few times trying they sent me pics of what I wanted. Most of what they sell are coticule backed with slate as they make more selling the bbw separately. They do sell combo sometimes though. I just don't think they list on the site. It is probably cheaper to go the auction route, but if you want a really fast knife stone they can possibly find you one.

I am ordering one in the dimensions 1400mm x 210mmx20mm, yet it's going to serve as shelf...I'll give it a go once it arrives ;-)

Anything larger than the "standard" size of ~170x40 will be harder to find and increasingly more expensive. If you're trolling auctions for a vintage combi, a reasonably dished coti side is a pretty good indicator that it's more suitable for knives and woodworking tools than razors. If you want one with known sharpening properties upfront, than sourcing one from members here (or over on one of the many razor forums) who's information you trust would be your best bet. I check US yaBe very regularly and it's very rare for any identifiable naturally bonded combi to go for less than about what you can get a comparable size one from AC for. I think I saw <5 total in 2022 that I would have considered final sale finishing under the normal "market rate", and I won two of those.

You can email Ardennes-Coticule and let them know what you are looking for. Responses in the past years ago were spotty, but after a few times trying they sent me pics of what I wanted. Most of what they sell are coticule backed with slate as they make more selling the bbw separately. They do sell combo sometimes though. I just don't think they list on the site. It is probably cheaper to go the auction route, but if you want a really fast knife stone they can possibly find you one.
Good to know thanks guys

I bid on about 20 smaller vintage natural combos last year. Won one auction. Paid $45 for 6*1.5 or so if I remember correctly and felt like I got pretty lucky. I don't think it said coticule in the ad. Definitely getting pricier and I don't think they are mining any more of the natural combos.

There is a nice looking 8" one up right now. Will likely go for over $100 I'd expect. Hard to find them on ebay in the US. Most of the listings are on the other side of the pond making shipping a non-starter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304766971506

hrmm
it's a glue up

slate, bb, or something else?

1673658786431.png

the dots are supposed to be a good sign. i learned that much by reading here.

For transparency - mine is almost purely usable BBW, an good sized one at 227x49mm. It’s from the natural combi layer no doubt, but the coti side is less than complete.
View attachment 219501
It looks cool as hell tho.
Honestly. I would try sharpening on that side using the whole stone, and see what kind of edge it gives.

Reactions: Pie
For transparency - mine is almost purely usable BBW, an good sized one at 227x49mm. It’s from the natural combi layer no doubt, but the coti side is less than complete.
View attachment 219501
It looks cool as hell tho.
Generally speaking, the BBW stones that are considered the best are the ones immediately adjacent to the coticule layer. So although your coti is shot, you can be more confident that your BBW is quality than if it was just a random stone from who knows where in the mine.

I have a similar one (though not as big as yours) in post #154.

Having now refreshed 5 dull kitchen knives (2 cleavers, a suji and two wide bevel gyutos) on a modern Belgian Blue bought as a standalone stone, I am now prepared to concede that these stones are awesome for that purpose.

While I am confessing, I might as well mention that purple slurry is really cool.

hrmm
it's a glue up

slate, bb, or something else?

View attachment 219471

Yep, as others have said - it's definitely Belgian Blue on the bottom there.

Slate backing is a relatively new thing. Apart from one I bought recently (from 1Stone), I've never had a slate backed coti. Older stones always seem to have been BBW backed.

I bid on about 20 smaller vintage natural combos last year. Won one auction. Paid $45 for 6*1.5 or so if I remember correctly and felt like I got pretty lucky. I don't think it said coticule in the ad. Definitely getting pricier and I don't think they are mining any more of the natural combos.
They are still mined, I’ve seen plenty at Ardennes-Coticules, but almost exclusively small nagura-sized stones (called ‘bout’), the bigger ones are getting very rare.

I‘d just like to thank the forum for this thread. Purchased my first BBW and am amazed by the results. I previously finished on a chosera 3k. The edge that I get from the BBW is significantly better for my use as a home cook of veggies and cooked proteins. I’m now tempted to buy a coticule but not sure if I need it for my purposes. Regardless for anyone thinking about a BBW….just get one.

Latest posts

Back