Boil your tofu!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a good percentage of people here know this, but boil your tofu cubes in well salted water for a few (8? 10?) min before frying them! After boiling, I usually pour them into a colander, sprinkle a fair bit of starch over them (arrowroot in my case, or corn or whatev), toss, sprinkle more starch, then fry.

Boiling extracts some of water somehow, making it easier to fry, but it does it without compressing the tofu, so you get delightful spongey insides instead of dense tofu bricks. It also extracts the water more evenly than squeezing it out, especially if you squeeze precubulation. Plus, the salted water seasons them.

Last edited:
I'm sure a good percentage of people here know this, but boil your tofu cubes in well salted water for a few (8? 10?) min before frying them! After boiling, I usually pour them into a colander, sprinkle a fair bit of starch over them (arrowroot in my case, or corn or whatev), toss, sprinkle more starch, then fry.

Boiling extracts some of water somehow, making it easier to fry, but it does it without compressing the tofu, so you get delightful spongey insides instead of dense tofu bricks. It also extracts the water more evenly than squeezing it out, especially if you squeeze precubulation. Plus, the salted water seasons them.
This is interesting. What type of tofu are you starting with? Soft, firm, silken?

Thank you!!! I just got into doing tofu and have been having trouble getting that texture just right. I’ll try it tomorrow <3

I’ve tried putting it in the freezer as some have said but haven’t found that worked very well

Reactions: ian
This is interesting. What type of tofu are you starting with? Soft, firm, silken?

Usually firm for frying. But “firm” can mean a lot of things depending on the brand. I like a pretty soft firm. If it’s a heavy block, no good.

365 brand tofu deserves to be thrown off a cliff.

I’ve also heard that blanching tofu increases its structural integrity, and sometimes silken tofu is blanched (gently?) before adding it to boiling stews? I haven’t done that before though.

Usually firm for frying. But “firm” can mean a lot of things depending on the brand. I like a pretty soft firm. If it’s a heavy block, no good.

365 brand tofu deserves to be thrown off a cliff.

I’ve also heard that blanching tofu increases its structural integrity, and sometimes silken tofu is blanched (gently?) before adding it to boiling stews? I haven’t done that before though.
I use silken when doing hotpot. I don't notice any change in texture, but then again, I'm not frying it afterwards.

I use silken when doing hotpot. I don't notice any change in texture, but then again, I'm not frying it afterwards.

I’d guess it’s more like it’ll be a bit less likely to fall apart in the stew. I am surprised a bit how vigorously I can toss the tofu cubes in the colander without having them break apart. I should try that with unblanched tofu to test the difference…

Just happened to read the same in The Vegan Chinese Kitchen.
Tried it, results so far (n=1) are good, better flavor and texture.

Here’s the opposite technique, first fry, then boil, also from Mr. Lau, this one’s more like a braised dish

https://www.madewithlau.com/recipes/mushroom-tofu-claypot
I did first fry then boil technique tonight, the mushroom and tofu recipe. I only used half the block (so I can still try Ian’s technique) but this is a great recipe. The sauce it made was great on the pork tenderloin too. I threw some green beans in that he only alluded to.

冬菇豆腐煲​

My friend Paul gave me the clay pot, he’s 76 and the pot is older than he is. When his family had to hurriedly leave Shanghai and go to Formosa it’s one of the treasured possessions his mother took with her

I’m honored to have it. I noticed every time I use it that the pot knows more about cooking than I do; everything that goes in it comes out delicious.
IMG_0400.jpeg
IMG_0402.jpeg

I did first fry then boil technique tonight, the mushroom and tofu recipe. I only used half the block (so I can still try Ian’s technique) but this is a great recipe. The sauce it made was great on the pork tenderloin too. I threw some green beans in that he only alluded to.

冬菇豆腐煲​

My friend Paul gave me the clay pot, he’s 76 and the pot is older than he is. When his family had to hurriedly leave Shanghai and go to Formosa it’s one of the treasured possessions his mother took with her

I’m honored to have it. I noticed every time I use it that the pot knows more about cooking than I do; everything that goes in it comes out delicious.View attachment 300618View attachment 300619
Love the hotpot story and that you're continuing it, the dish looks so comforting and delicious.

Back