Carrot wedge test

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not competition with Mack's video in any sense, but I was prepping some shepherd’s pie tonight using lamb that I murdered using a somewhat new Catcheside 180 from @ashy2classy, and thought that this thread was as good a place as any to post the vid, given the presence of carrots.

Note: I'm just screwing around here. I hadn't decided ahead of time how much of anything I was going to chop, or what shapes I was going to chop a given ingredient into, so the pace of the video is rather slow. But we all have time on our hands now, right?

Nice cutting board. Walnut BoardSmith?

I have a Sukenari 240 K-tip gyuto in HAP-40. I like using the knife. The grind is what I'd call "medium". Definitely not a laser, but not a workhorse either. Food release isn't brilliant because of the mirror polish. But it's a fine knife, and I use it regularly.

I've had the knife for over a year, and it still has its factory edge. Definitely holds its edge for a long time.
View attachment 119473

Amazing handle!

Yes, that's my call as well on Sukenari's grinds. Definitely "medium" - and very consistent from heel to just before the tip. Mine (240 hairline K-tip in ZDP) has a literally perfect convex grind with no variations. It's nearly inhumanly well-ground. I scratched the hairline when I slipped sharpening it, so I did a long sandpaper progression, and now it's got a near-mirror polish that looks pretty great next to the mix of ku and patina'd carbon on my gyuto strip. Food release is "OK." Wedging is "never."

I have a video of my cutting carrots by just pushing straight down with my Jiros and FM's but I'm breathing so embarrassingly loud in it I can't post it. I'll make another one when I get some medium sized carrots again and make sure to hold my breath or something. The Jiro's display display slight wedging/cracking when cutting carrots but in turn have the best food release. If I was doing a bunch of carrots I'd go for a laser type FM over the Jiros, but if I am doing a large batch of potatoes the Jiros can't be beat, the slices just release perfectly without any help.

I did a new video - bad as always but some of my best knives in it

Mack

Mack, thanks for contributing so many. Nice to see Uwe’s knives making an appearance, even if he is not here. I miss seeing him around.

How are you liking the Shihan in general? Looks very good in your video, and I’ve heard lots of good reviews from others. How do you like it in general for cooking?

Cheers

@captaincaed

Thanks for your kind words. I really like my Shihan. It's a typical workhorse, not that thin above the edge so you can use it for all the tasks in the kitchen. It is rather heavy which helps getting through all kinds of food. Moreover, I like the profile of the blade, the balance point is ~ 5cm in front of the handle. In general I really like the style, the handle looks nice and feels really comfortable in my hand but is maybe a little bit long for my rather small hands. A smaller handle would of course put the balance point more forward, which could become a problem for me. The steel (52100) is great on this knife. For explanation: I don't like that steel in general, there are steels which have more quality in my opinion, but Shihan knows how to heat treat his 52100, so absolutely nothing to complain. The blade takes a great edge, I stop sharpening with my Naniwa Professional 5K which puts a great toothy edge on it, which I prefer for kitchen work. Only thing I would change: For my taste the tip could be a little bit thinner.

So all in all it is a knife which I can highly recommend.

Best,
Mack

Thanks Mack! Your experience sounds very similar to everyone I’ve heard from so far. I remember reading on his website that he is doing a deliberately different heat treat with 52100. It sounds like there is an American trend toward a very hard triple quench 52100. And Shihan decided to "leave some hardness on the table" in order to have a steel that felt more like a Japanese treatment. I'm a fan.
Cheers

Back