Cheap knives that are worth it

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
How it goes
When I upgrade someone or when I change working station to someone for first time I tend to give a book related to what they are getting into.
Last time I gifted to Carlo my used nakiri(yu kurosaki) since I moved him to garde manger(at the salad station) and he really liked it, not to mention that besides that he keeps thanking me, he is more into knives himself now- he even bought stones to learn how to keep that baby sharp. The other guys liked that move also, more than when I gave them books.
So Im starting this thread because Ive got plenty of apprentices and most of them seem to apreciate knife gifts more than books and I want to keep them motivated!
Anything that is worth the price, any type, any brand, decent knife can be posted here.
If vendors can be mentioned it would be a big help
I am based in Europe but i do exceptions and buy from outside too.
Thanks

Kaeru from JNS. Everything but 240mm is very good price. The 240 it is steal good price just little higher than the other models.

I am a big fan of Makoto. Great grinds and good heat treatment.

I also have had phenomenal luck buying cheap and sending it to @makeitsharper (instagram) and having him thin them. He has ruined me.

I am a big fan of Makoto. Great grinds and good heat treatment.

I also have had phenomenal luck buying cheap and sending it to @makeitsharper (instagram) and having him thin them. He has ruined me.
Thanks for replying, any Makoto Kurosaki vendors in EU?

Alexec, that's very nice of you to think for them and buying gifts like that.
Do you have a budget for gifts? Or whats your price limit that you well consider as cheap?
I am a cheap person lol, so my cheap its very very cheap :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: that might not be suitable for you.

Apprentices and culinary students usually have little or no knife knowledge. When they get a good blade their hands it can have a wow factor. It is cool that a little Nakiri can get a person motivated.

What is cheap? To get a decent gyuto you have to be willing to pay at least 100.00 That is not much considering Shuns go for much more. In the 150.00 to 200.00 range there are knives that will blow away Shuns.

Maybe get one of these and pass it around let the kids know where to get them some will buy them.

Alexec, that's very nice of you to think for them and buying gifts like that.
Do you have a budget for gifts? Or whats your price limit that you well consider as cheap?
I am a cheap person lol, so my cheap its very very cheap :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: that might not be suitable for you.
Thanks and well, I do not promote them often, maybe 2-3 persons per year in each of the 3 restaurants I run. The budget I consider of is max 150euros. But Im also looking for boning knives, slicers, nakiris, sandokus everything including gyutos. For example of I give a guy the poultry and meat station id like to give him a boning knife instead of something else.

Apprentices and culinary students usually have little or no knife knowledge. When they get a good blade their hands it can have a wow factor. It is cool that a little Nakiri can get a person motivated.

What is cheap? To get a decent gyuto you have to be willing to pay at least 100.00 That is not much considering Shuns go for much more. In the 150.00 to 200.00 range there are knives that will blow away Shuns.

Maybe get one of these and pass it around let the kids know where to get them some will buy them.
Shun is not a brand I will ever reccomend, besides a petty I liked once.
I admire true Japanese knifemakers and as I support them I want my sprouts to try them at least. In the restaurant on the magnetic racks they have the opportunity to try zwilling, global, victorinox, wusthoff mainly and none japanese knives.
As for the price range <150euros

Second the Kaeru recommendation. Proper knife for professionals
To be honest I own a couple knives coming from the specific vendor and I am satisfied enough! @Itsalright also mentioned, i forgot to thank him and you aswell.

Western handled vg10 Tanakas. Very cheap but can out perform any other knives in the price range.

Or the VG10 Nashiji Tanaka. Metal Master is sold out of all Tanaka's at this time.

yeah, they are sold out because those are way too good a deal lol. For special gifts James' offerings might be better with the upgraded handles and whatnot, but a cheapo Blue 2 KU 190mm gyuto from Metalmaster has been on my knife rack for almost 2 years now without leaving and seen much more expensive blades come and go.

yeah, they are sold out because those are way too good a deal lol. For special gifts James' offerings might be better with the upgraded handles and whatnot, but a cheapo Blue 2 KU 190mm gyuto from Metalmaster has been on my knife rack for almost 2 years now without leaving and seen much more expensive blades come and go.
Is it that good??

My bolsterless western petty ginsanko from metal master was like $55 and by far the best deal I’ve ever seen in the jknife world. It’s worn down really badly and I would love to replace with another one. Wouldn’t mind paying more for wa handle but the cheapo western is surprisingly very comfortable to use.

I haven’t used very many high end stainless jknives but for sub $300 ginsanko Tanaka is pretty hard to beat for ease of sharpening.
Quick side note: sukenari also may fall into the catagory of great cheap knives, one day I’ll get one.
Kaeru is great value cheap knife too.

Anyone know if the yoshimitsu fugen knives are any good? They’re kind of cheap(ish).
I used a bunka that was loaned to me for a rehandle. I liked it a lot, I think it is a lot is knife for the money. It was thin. Slid through product. Rustic finish. Aweful handle. I never sharpened it.

Is it that good??
yes, very good. Steel is superb, profile is good, grind is very good, fit and finish is low obviously but I rounded the spine and cool in about 30min and never changed the handle since it's the knife I take for most trips and gets somewhat abused (not really abused as in cutting frozen food because it's very thin BTE) and banged around.

I was very happy with my Mac Pro as a first "good" knife after ATC lied to me about Victorinox. I've invested in more knives than is useful. I will say that the Mac still sits at the top of my drawer, especially for acidic foods. Haven't found a stainless knife I like better yet, and I've tried a couple pricey ones.
Handle is stable, blade is well balanced, thin enough to cut easily, just a bit of a convex grind for decent food release. Sharpens easily and stays sharp. May not be a screamer, but they clearly have a good formula.
I am a home cook, so I don't have as much pro kitchen experience. But even in a safe environment for expensive knives, the Mac still sees a lot of use. I'm never unhappy picking it up.

My bolsterless western petty ginsanko from metal master was like $55 and by far the best deal I’ve ever seen in the jknife world. It’s worn down really badly and I would love to replace with another one. Wouldn’t mind paying more for wa handle but the cheapo western is surprisingly very comfortable to use.
Too bad they seem out of stock

I haven’t used very many high end stainless jknives but for sub $300 ginsanko Tanaka is pretty hard to beat for ease of sharpening.
Quick side note: sukenari also may fall into the catagory of great cheap knives, one day I’ll get one.
Kaeru is great value cheap knife too.
Kaeru gets a lot of votes as I see. Thing is he doesnt produce plenty kind of knives

I was very happy with my Mac Pro as a first "good" knife after ATC lied to me about Victorinox. I've invested in more knives than is useful. I will say that the Mac still sits at the top of my drawer, especially for acidic foods. Haven't found a stainless knife I like better yet, and I've tried a couple pricey ones.
Handle is stable, blade is well balanced, thin enough to cut easily, just a bit of a convex grind for decent food release. Sharpens easily and stays sharp. May not be a screamer, but they clearly have a good formula.
I am a home cook, so I don't have as much pro kitchen experience. But even in a safe environment for expensive knives, the Mac still sees a lot of use. I'm never unhappy picking it up.
I find the Mac professional series expensive compared to other japanese knives to be honest but i might give them another chance in the future

Back