Colatura di Alici

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcelNL

deleted the professional part....so blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
so...now i've got this stuff and will make some Spaghetti with it, recipes please!

IMG-20230727-WA0023.jpg

You should try mixing it with lime juice and birds eye chili's, I bet it would go great with Thai food..
I plan to find the differences between thai anchovy based fish sauce, Thai squid based fish sauce and this one

Looks like a norm is spaghetti with an uncooked sauce of garlic, parsley, olive oil, anchovy extract, red pepper, and lemon. Topped with toasted bread crumbs not cheese.

You could try a riff on a bagna cauda? I bet throwing some in aoli would be good? Or a salsa verde?

1. Enhance bagna cauda

2. There’s a pasta sauce with broccoli (or related vegetables), anchovies, garlic, red pepper, and olive oil. Still use the anchovy, but finish with your colatura

Seems like I started a bit of trend here. Full disclosure: I bought my bottle of Colatura di Alici on a whim when I spotted it at a gourmet food store. I didn't really know what it was at the time, other than that it was anchovy essence. I really like anchovies, so I figured I'll give this a try.

I love the stuff, it's brilliant. But it's also rather expensive. I paid AUD 30.00 for a 100 ml bottle. I don't regret it, it showed me something I didn't know existed until, after I got home, I worked out what to do with it.

But I also have a bottle of Red Boat 40º N fish sauce in the pantry. After I tasted the colatura, I thought that it tasted a lot like that fish sauce, so I did a side-by-side tasting. The two are remarkably similar. So much so that I have to strain to pick out the differences. The colatura is simpler and "cleaner" in flavour profile, and maybe a touch saltier. The Red Boat is "darker' in aroma (slightly more woody/earthy notes) and, if anything, a touch more complex, interesting, and intense. I'm talking very minor differences here. It's not easy to tell them apart, even side by side.

The pertinent point: I can buy 500 ml of Red Boat 40º N for AUD 18.00. To put it differently, I get nearly a quart of Red Boat for the cost of 100 ml of colatura. I have not tried this yet, but I bet that, if I make the same spaghetti with the Red Boat sauce, I won't be able to tell the difference, even in a side-by-side tasting.

If you want to get the colatura experience without shelling out the money for it, try the Red Boat 40º N fish sauce. You'll have something very, very close to the more expensive version.

Caveat: Not all fish sauces are created equal. Have a look at the label of whatever fish sauce you have. If it contains anything other than anchovies and salt, it isn't fish sauce. And, yes, I have done side-by-side tastings of run-of-the-mill fish sauces, such as Squid and Ayam, and Red Boat 40º N. There is a big difference.

Extracts are made by soaking in alcohol as opposed to pressing. Is it lighter tasting than oil? Weave it into a vinagarette? With certain, emmmmmm, product you can use inferior parts, like the chaff to get the wheat (bad ex.)with an extraction. Not sure why you would do that with little fish. I haven't tasted it though... Is there a reason like that?

@Michi I ordered a bottle of Red Boat 40º N and had it delivered to work. Picked it up and went home by car. After a minute in the car I smelled something strange..... One minute more and I knew what I was smelling....
The cap of the fish sauce was leaking a bit. Imagine 30 minutes later......

(Got a replacement bottle for free. Really like the sauce).

I don’t think the Vietnamese would agree with your fish sauce Reinheitsgebot. 3 Crabs, for example, has sweeteners.

The much fabled Thai fish sauce and oyster sauce made by Megachef have sugar in the mix...the oyster sauce 20g/100ml, the fish sauce 3.4

I like that brand, using it for Thai food means you need to adapt the amount of added sugar (which means almost every Thai dish)

@Michi I ordered a bottle of Red Boat 40º N and had it delivered to work. Picked it up and went home by car. After a minute in the car I smelled something strange..... One minute more and I knew what I was smelling....
The cap of the fish sauce was leaking a bit. Imagine 30 minutes later......

(Got a replacement bottle for free. Really like the sauce).

Hope your car is OK lol. Back in high school / secondary school days, someone put a fish in a teacher's car without them knowing. Needless to say... Also a lover of anchovies but I am at the beginning of the learning curve. I throw them into most of my pasta dishes for more umami and occasionally like them on toast or in a salad. This stuff looks a little bit next-level!

Hope your car is OK lol. Back in high school / secondary school days, someone put a fish in a teacher's car without them knowing. Needless to say... Also a lover of anchovies but I am at the beginning of the learning curve. I throw them into most of my pasta dishes for more umami and occasionally like them on toast or in a salad. This stuff looks a little bit next-level!
Actually, the anchovies are much more pungent as a whole than this stuff!

At least....IMO...on the stinkiness scale I list fermented shrimp paste on 1, on par with Trassi (indonesian fermented gunk) and it differs per exact species of either, and fish sauce is WAY below all that.
Trassi and shrimp paste smell like rotten fish, wet musty dog and anything else you can dream up.

Fish sauce is usually much more one dimensional, cleaner Umami-esque.

YMMV ;-) (coming from someone who loves Epoisse cheese)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back