Cpm 10v gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright. So i will leave this up to you guys. And see what you think.

So the plan from the beginning has been to do the pass around. Then once its done, it goes back to me for thinning, repolishing. Then going to the owner.

What I'm wanting to know from you guys. Is if you would mind if its not perfectly hand satin finished for the pass around since i'm just going to have to polish it again at the end no matter what.

IMG_20231119_175603495.jpg

This is it as is. There are some smudges, and its under harsh light, since i use that to tell when I'm done polishing. But basically its polished to the grit i would finish it just with some small imperfections, like jhooks in some areas.

If you guys are fine with this, i should be able to get this done pretty soon, and get things started. If not thats fine. Its just going to take me longer.

Alright. So i will leave this up to you guys. And see what you think.

So the plan from the beginning has been to do the pass around. Then once its done, it goes back to me for thinning, repolishing. Then going to the owner.

What I'm wanting to know from you guys. Is if you would mind if its not perfectly hand satin finished for the pass around since i'm just going to have to polish it again at the end no matter what.

View attachment 283194

This is it as is. There are some smudges, and its under harsh light, since i use that to tell when I'm done polishing. But basically its polished to the grit i would finish it just with some small imperfections, like jhooks in some areas.

If you guys are fine with this, i should be able to get this done pretty soon, and get things started. If not thats fine. Its just going to take me longer.
I'm perfectly fine with whatever finish you send it with, as long as it's not all grabby. More interested in your geometry and the steel.

Nice blade. We know how difficult it is to work with these supersteels.
Yeah. The polish can be tough. The diamond films i use definitely help out a lot. It just takes a long time getting the hand satin to a place i find acceptable. A lot of single pulls over and over since if you move a little bit when putting the film down it shows up in the polish.

Alright. Got the pass around knife done.

Im still working on the others in this batch today. So I'm going to be doing that the rest of the day. But this one is finished.

Ill work on getting the order figured out over the next few days once i get a little time. I still plan to have it picked up by the other member that stays here in houston, but after that. We will see.
IMG_20231123_142944808.jpg

Alright. Got the pass around knife done.

Im still working on the others in this batch today. So I'm going to be doing that the rest of the day. But this one is finished.

Ill work on getting the order figured out over the next few days once i get a little time. I still plan to have it picked up by the other member that stays here in houston, but after that. We will see. View attachment 283955
Looks good. What's the blade finish?

Looks good. What's the blade finish?
60 micron diamond film, i usually finish with that.

The only thing different for this one is i didnt spend a ton of time doing straight pulls to get it perfect. Though this side i basically got most of the way there before i asked in this thread if people cared, since im going to finish it again after

Ok.

I'm ready to get this started.

So to set up a few more guidelines that I probably should have. Posted in the first one
  • Each person should be able to get it no longer than a week. Since so many were interested especially. To keep this shorter so the person that commisioned it wont have to take too long.
  • Sharpening it is fine. I recommend no using super coarse stones. Mainly so the geometry wont be altered a ton by the end and other will get to use a thin knife also. Using diamond or cbn is recommended, mostly just for performance reasons, the edges ive gotten using aluminum oxide, and sic werent great on these steels, and the performance suffers.
  • Don't use this for anything you wouldnt use a nice knife of your own for. If it gets seriously damaged to the point its not fixable, expect to be the one buying the knife. (The customer is paying $750 i believe)
  • On that note i've seen others mention posting pics, or a report of the knifes condition when you get it, and before you send it out. You maybe dont need to go that far. Maybe just list anything notable if there is anything.
  • I'm going to send it in a piece of styofoam. I cut out a part for the knife to go it, and tape it in. I think it could be a good idea, and easier if people just put it back in that, then mail it. Unless it gets messed up over time. At that point people can just use their own packaging.
@ethompson is going to be the first one. He can come get it whenever he is ready. Or he can wait for me to work out the list then pick it up.

For the others here. If you still want in, you can dm me or let me know where you are so i can work out an order it should go in.

I'm really interested to see what you guys think of the steel, heat treat etc.

Ok.

So to set up a few more guidelines that I probably should have. Posted in the first one
  • Each person should be able to get it no longer than a week. Since so many were interested especially. To keep this shorter so the person that commisioned it wont have to take too long.
  • Sharpening it is fine. I recommend no using super coarse stones. Mainly so the geometry wont be altered a ton by the end and other will get to use a thin knife also. Using diamond or cbn is recommended, mostly just for performance reasons, the edges ive gotten using aluminum oxide, and sic werent great on these steels, and the performance suffers.
  • Don't use this for anything you wouldnt use a nice knife of your own for. If it gets seriously damaged to the point its not fixable, expect to be the one buying the knife. (The customer is paying $750 i believe)
  • On that note i've seen others mention posting pics, or a report of the knifes condition when you get it, and before you send it out. You maybe dont need to go that far. Maybe just list anything notable if there is anything.
  • I'm going to send it in a piece of styofoam. I cut out a part for the knife to go it, and tape it in. I think it could be a good idea, and easier if people just put it back in that, then mail it. Unless it gets messed up over time. At that point people can just use their own packaging.
@ethompson is going to be the first one. He can come get it whenever he is ready. Or he can wait for me to work out the list then pick it up.

For the others here. If you still want in, you can dm me or let me know where you are so i can work out an order it should go in.

Just curious... Do you have water-cooled belt grinder?

Ok.

PM sent - let’s get the party started! Thanks for setting this up!

Just gonna hand the blade off in this, and it can get put back into that styrofoam thing and mailed out. If possible. Idk how long it will last, and the box might need to be replaced before that.

IMG_20231127_120755947.jpg

I haven't heard from everyone that expressed interest in joining the passaround. If you still want to be in this. I still need to get a dm from you with your location for setting the order up. If I don't hear from people by the time its getting close to have @ethompson mail it to the next person, then that will basically drop you out of it. Because i want to have the order set up by then.

I’m thinking a cardboard saya makes sense. I’d also suggest either extra thick cardboard, double boxing it, or something stiff like scrap1/8” plywood or plastic. There was another passaround that the knife was bent by ups due to some blow. I think ethompson knows all about that one.

I just received a package that had the internal solid styrofoam completely shredded into pieces. It was a much heavier item though.

Last edited:
I promise, i would trust this more than a cardboard saya.

I've done both, and i definitely feel more confident with this.

@Barmoley could weigh in maybe. I sent one to him with this method. It could just be that I'm biased.

I was thinking it would just cut the styrofoam but if its setup so there is a handle pocket so the handle will block forward movement then maybe its fine.

I’m just making suggestions - UPS can destroy just about anything and they are getting 20 attempts!

I promise, i would trust this more than a cardboard saya.

I've done both, and i definitely feel more confident with this.

@Barmoley could weigh in maybe. I sent one to him with this method. It could just be that I'm biased.
I received the knife safely and styrofoam was not cut in any of the directions. I've seen knives go through cardboard and even thin wood boxes, so anything is possible. Taping the knife into the cut out like mine was will help immobilize it.

Alright. Passaround officially started.

Still dont think ive heard from everyone that expressed interest. Ill give the rest a couple more days before they get dropped out, and if anyone at that point wants to jump in at the last minute, then i can add them in. Just still need to keep it at 20 or less no matter what

Back