Current Top 5 and Top 10 Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First lineup right now, those I reach for first at the moment:

Takeda, 180
Whenever food release is needed, this is the one.

Jean Jose Tritz, 190
This one really has a bite to the edge. Nimble.

Bryan Raquin, 200
Perfect grip, love the balance, nimble

Shigeki Tanaka, R2, 240
Big, but small somehow…

Bryan Raquin, 255
Gyuto, or gyutohiki? I think of it as a gyuto, but in all fairness, it gets slicing jobs aswell. Regardless - one hell of a knife.

View attachment 244121

Second team. Well, they’re also up on the knife racks and are also reached for:

Shigeki Tanaka ginsan,180
The cheapest, but oh so good. Love it.

Tanaka from Tsubaya, 210
Sooo thin, really falls through

Yusuke ginsan, 210
Sturdy, gets the job done, always

Bryan Raquin, 215
Low gyuto, reall nimble

Konosuke HD2, 240
Needs no introduction.

View attachment 244119
nice profile on the JJ Tritz!

I've done a decent job selling off the ones I don't love so but here is my current top 5

1. Unshu Yukimitsu 230 (I know y'all are tired of hearing me talk about this one, the honeymoon phase is over and I know strengths/weaknesses, it still is a blast to use)

2. Munetoshi 240
Nuff said

3. Kochi V2 240
I was falling out of love with this one but after a sharpening I'm fully back on the train.

4. Kyohei Shindo 220
Old faithful, unique profile that is pleasant to use in all scenarios. Aggressive distal taper and super thin bte.

5. Makoto Ryusei 240
Supposed to be a catch and release to satisfy curiosity, but I am loving it. Really tied with my Tanaka ginsan but I'm using the Ryusei more right now so it gets the nod in this list.

20230519_234641.jpg

With the restriction to nominate a manufacturer only once:

Top 5 - big boys - no particular order:
45684204kn.jpg

Benjamin Kamon - Bryan Raquin - Cris Anderson - Jean-Jose Tritz - Milan Gravier

Top 6-10 - smaller boys - no particular order:
45684205yh.jpg

Robin Dalman - Marius Smide - James Oatley - Tobi Bockholt - Will Catcheside

I've always been curious about Oatley's work.
Can you tell us a little bit more about your experience?
I have to say in advance: I have only ever ordered W2 Honyaki with an asymmetrical grind. So I can't comment on his other grinds/steels.

This knife is from 2018. Grinded very very thin with a fantastic food release for a laser. HT is very good as far as I can tell. The knives come ground to zero with no initial cutting edge - you should set them yourself.

His style is special and you should give him the necessary freedom. His knives occupy the role of absolute lasers in my knife set.

With the restriction to nominate a manufacturer only once:

Top 5 - big boys - no particular order:
45684204kn.jpg

Benjamin Kamon - Bryan Raquin - Cris Anderson - Jean-Jose Tritz - Milan Gravier

Top 6-10 - smaller boys - no particular order:
45684205yh.jpg

Robin Dalman - Marius Smide - James Oatley - Tobi Bockholt - Will Catcheside
How tall is that Tobi Bockholt?

Where would this Milan small gyuto come in then? I always find the distinction between small gyuto and santoku so nebulous.

View attachment 243854
Indeed Small gyuto / Santoku distinction can be pretty thin here. Put this one as a gyuto mainly because I would make a Santoku with shorter tip and also I would put a less tapered geometry.

I’ll play.

Tier 1: Haburn 240 in 51200; Devin Thomas 230 in 1.2519. These two are really in a league of their own.

Tier 2: Halcyon Forge 175 in CruForge damascus (petite gyuto or XL petty—not sure. I love it, so I’m counting it. If it was a 210, it would like be in Tier 1); Lisch 240 Damascus; Ryusen Blazen 240 in SG2

Tier 3: Watanabe Pro 240; Kato WH 210; ShiHan 240

Tier 4: Hattori KF 270; Wusthof 9” Ikon (I know Wusthof doesn’t get any love around here, but it’s tough as nails and never corrodes, so I like it when I’m cooking something new and acidic and know I won‘t have time to worry about my nicer knives).

Edited to add these are all 10 that I own. Burke, Rader, Xerxes, Kippington, and Newham are my current wish list.
For my tastes, your 'Tier 3' is top notch, best of the tiers.

For my tastes, your 'Tier 3' is top notch, best of the tiers.
Putting this list together was harder than I expected. For no nonsense pure cutters, i agree tier three is the sweet spot and I reach for those a lot of the time. With the exception of the Ryusen, the higher tiers have an X factor that make them feel special to me. Whether it’s Devin’s damascus or the walrus ivory handle on the HF, they have something about them that blends art and function in a way I appreciate, while still being absolute bangers on the board (particularly the Haburn and the DT).

I’ll also admit that I’m currently on a little bit of a western integral kick that is influencing my opinions.

I recently picked up a Martell 240. If you like the knives I put in tier 3, I highly recommend it. It blends the best attributes of the Watanabe Pro and the ShiHan and has quickly become one of my most often reached for knives.

M
Putting this list together was harder than I expected. For no nonsense pure cutters, i agree tier three is the sweet spot and I reach for those a lot of the time. With the exception of the Ryusen, the higher tiers have an X factor that make them feel special to me. Whether it’s Devin’s damascus or the walrus ivory handle on the HF, they have something about them that blends art and function in a way I appreciate, while still being absolute bangers on the board (particularly the Haburn and the DT).

I’ll also admit that I’m currently on a little bit of a western integral kick that is influencing my opinions.

I recently picked up a Martell 240. If you like the knives I put in tier 3, I highly recommend it. It blends the best attributes of the Watanabe Pro and the ShiHan and has quickly become one of my most often reached for knives.
Man, I just got a Martell 270 and it’s insane how awesome it cuts. It’s also insane how wide/big the handle is for me. My top 5 are below

1. Martell 270mm
2. Northside Honyaki 240mm gyuto
3. Kawachi 240mm W2
4. Tanaka x Kyuzo Migaki
5. Birgersson 240

M

Man, I just got a Martell 270 and it’s insane how awesome it cuts. It’s also insane how wide/big the handle is for me. My top 5 are below

1. Martell 270mm
2. Northside Honyaki 240mm gyuto
3. Kawachi 240mm W2
4. Tanaka x Kyuzo Migaki
5. Birgersson 240
Haha. Agree with you completely. The blade is absolutely first class. I‘ve considered sanding down the handle to a smaller, coke bottle shape, but figured it was just me, since I don’t have huge hands. Luckily with a pinch grip, it’s only a minor annoyance and doesn’t really affect performance.

Haha. Agree with you completely. The blade is absolutely first class. I‘ve considered sanding down the handle to a smaller, coke bottle shape, but figured it was just me, since I don’t have huge hands. Luckily with a pinch grip, it’s only a minor annoyance and doesn’t really affect performance.
Im a tall guy with large hands, so it’s a dream come true for me. I know Martell’s story is complicated and I wish him all the best but the guy made a hell of a knife blade.

It’s probably the clearest example that the geometry, profile and weight of a knife have way more to do with cutting performance than absolute sharpness of the blade

OK, I'll cave into a ranking post ;). Ranked on pure cutting performance (obviously subjective/opinion). They are also my 5 favorites, but I dare not rank this bunch overall as I cherish them for different reasons. Really special knives made by some great people.

1. Dan Bidinger, 240x57, 193g, B-grind A2
2. Kamon x Huber, 260x59, 269g, 1.2519
3. the9, 210x51, 166g, Blue1
4. Kato, 235x50.5, 224g, I believe White1
5. Milan Gravier, 240x55, 246g, 135Cr3

IMG_2735.jpeg

One day I’ll learn to take a picture that is not absolutely terrible lol.

Been trying to get my hands on a 210-250 Yanick or Martell actually but they have been elusive. Good to hear they are well-loved.

Last edited:
Dave Chappelle Dylan GIF

But on a serious note:

71054635969__363F3A94-5930-40A3-B397-326154E13906.jpeg

1) The 9nine Wrought Side Stack Gyuto
239x54
Wrought “Damascus”
Aogami #1
Ironvood, Brass

IMG_1267.jpeg

2) The 9nine Lazy Twist Killyuto
220x51
Wrought “Damascus”
Ironvood Coffin

IMG_1264.jpeg

3) Xerxes Gayuto/Chef
223x57
Mild Steel/I forgot
Apex Ultra
Ironvood Burl, Nickel/Silver Cap and Pin

IMG_1266.jpeg

4) Yanick Onichan-yuto
241x52
Wrought Iron
135cr3
Ironvood Burl, Marbled Horn

IMG_1268.jpeg

5) Laseur Gragragrayuto/Chef
238x51
52100 Mono
Ironvood, Brass, and More Brass

IMG_1269.jpeg

BONUS) Heldqvist Integral OmgIpoopoomypants-yuto
239x55
Wrought/Nickel Dammy
TWR
Ironvood, Brass

BECAUSE I SPIT HOT FIRE 💦💦🔥🔥

Last edited:
Dave Chappelle Dylan GIF

But on a serious note:

View attachment 253755

239x54
Wrought “Damascus”
Aogami #1
Ironvood, Brass

View attachment 253756

220x51
Wrought “Damascus”
Ironvood Coffin

View attachment 253757

3) Xerxes Gayuto/Chef
223x57
Mild Steel/I forgot
Apex Ultra

View attachment 253758

4) Yanick Onichan-yuto
241x52
Wrought Iron
135cr3

View attachment 253759

238x51
52100 Mono

View attachment 253761

239x55
Wrought/Nickel Dammy
TWR
Ironvood, Brass

love that Xerxes. His work is high on my list of makers to try.

Damn Chang…

Here’s my current top 5, but it’ll change as I have 4 new knives coming in this week including a Kamon. Also have another Yanick I haven’t cut with yet.

1. Yanick 135CR3 240 MM
2. Tanaka x Kyuzo 240 MM
3. Takeda 210 NAS
4. Takada No Hamono Reiki 240MM
5. Zwilling Kramer Carbon 10” (makes no sense why this knife gets so sharp)

Not as great as some of y’all but I’ll get there. I need a Nine and a Bidinger.

My current Top Five:
Top10-1.jpg

Dan Bidinger B-Grind Workhorse 240 x 60 260g - AEB-L Monosteel
The Nine Workhorse 245 x 61 258g - 1.2519 / Soft Iron (Lazy Twist)
Milan Gravier Midweight 243 x 59 238g - 135Cr3 / Wrought Iron
Bryan Raquin KT to Classic 230 x 52 194g - 145sc / xc10
Halcyon Forge 220 x 53 222g - 1.2519 / Wrought Iron (Wagon Wheel)

Current Top 10:
Top10-2-2.jpg

Yanick Puig 245 x 58 221g - 135Cr3 / Vintage Iron
Xerxes 235 x 57 281g - Apex Ultra / 1.2767
Kippington 240 x 55 220g - 52100 Monosteel
Joel Black 253 x 56 316g - Apex Ultra / Wrought Iron
Billipp 240 x 63 317g 52100 Monosteel

I've limited myself to one entry per maker. Otherwise you'd probably see repeats.

This list is ever-shifting. There is a general theme here though. I don't like pure cutting lasers. I ****ing hate food stiction. I cannot abide produce riding up the blade and toppling over the back, like they're storming a ****ing castle or something. I favor a balance between cutting performance and food release. All of these knives hit a sweet spot, but achieve it through different means. The Kipp and Xerxes for example have extreme distal taper and fat convex grinds at the heel, which satisfy my need for food release, but also have laser thin tips for fine knife work. The Raquin has a tapered grind and forged geometry creating performance similar to an S-Ground knife. I think the Yanick also has similar, if less pronounced, geometry features present. The others are mostly workhorse-ish convex grinds, with the exception of the Bidinger, which has the added benefit of the B-Grind.

Any of these knives could be top five on any given day, depending on my mood, which made this exercise quite difficult. If I'm favoring pure cutting performance, the Xerxes, Kipp and Billipp are top contenders. If I'm valuing no-frills, zero stiction headaches, the Raquin is at the top of the pile. The others have a very nice balance between cutting performance and food release.

I've also got a few knives that I haven't had enough time with that might bump some of these.

P.S. I don't consider the Gigantoku a gyuto, otherwise it would have been top five easy.

Dave Chappelle Dylan GIF

But on a serious note:

View attachment 253755

239x54
Wrought “Damascus”
Aogami #1
Ironvood, Brass

View attachment 253756

220x51
Wrought “Damascus”
Ironvood Coffin

View attachment 253757

3) Xerxes Gayuto/Chef
223x57
Mild Steel/I forgot
Apex Ultra

View attachment 253758

4) Yanick Onichan-yuto
241x52
Wrought Iron
135cr3

View attachment 253759

238x51
52100 Mono

View attachment 253761

239x55
Wrought/Nickel Dammy
TWR
Ironvood, Brass

Holy cow!

As told to me by somebody else, I practiced checking out with his steel/wood. Do that like an hour before his drops and you should have a better chance.
Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Last drop, the check out process was a little different than I expected and slowed me down.

Yeesh, this is hard. For bigger preps:

270 Gesshin Ginga AEBL -- maybe my most versatile knife, it can do anything. It's big enough for major prep but still light, nimble, and tough.
270 Wat Pro Kurouchi -- This is a big beast.
270 Toyama Stainless clad -- Godilocks
270 Mazaki W2, in a chunkier KnS version -- On the beast side of the spectrum
270 (Sakai style) JNS Tanaka B1 Damascus -- an amazing feel, great retention. This one when I have time to pay attention.

More all around:

240 iron-clad Wat Kasumi, but a slimmer, relatively recent iteration. I love the profile, height, and steel.
240 Yo Denka -- That steel
240 Sukenari Hap40 Ktip -- amazing steel. Ktip makes it feel longer than. Also nice height and flatter profile.
240 Konosuke Fujiyama in W1
240 Munetoshi -- most used knife lately. I've been working on the bevels, and it's getting nicely dialed in.

I only have 9 true gyuto's
TF YO DENKA 240 - Thinned, rehandled, and tuned for balance (would not have made my top 5 before)
210 Kato WH
240 FM
Raquin KT
Manaka 240

the others that didn't make the list
Maz 240, Masamoto KS, Simon malliet 210 (came with an issue near the tip that needs addressing before used in rotation), TF Mab 210.

1. Kato 180 blue #1 gyuto - laser like tip and progressive grind.
2. Denka 210 AS - performer! runs through winter squash.
3. Hiromoto Yo honyaki white #2 240 - simple looking but great feeling rock chopper
4. Singarin 240 honyaki white #2 - lazer slicer
5. Gesshin Ittetsu 240mm White #2 Honyaki Yo Gyuto with Desert Ironwood Handle - rediculously pretty honyaki waves but a bit too handle heavy

Honorable mentions
6. Toyama 240 ironclad - beastly and good food separation. A little force needed for winter squash
7. Masamoto KS 240 great slicer but the heel is a bit low for me. I want to try a 270 as a substitute sujihiki
8. Hiromoto AS Yo 240 - all rounder but the spine is a bit too fexible
9. Shigeki Tanaka 180 ginsan - cheapy but versatile

Last edited:
I've been off KKF for the past six months or so due to other things going on in my life but I can quickly respond to this thread without giving it too much time or thought.
Favorite knives - no order because I don't find ranking these useful although the Devins are maybe the best all around knives
Devin Thomas NioMax ~244 mm gyuto
Devin Thomas MagnaCut ~232 mm gyuto
Kippington 52100 laser ~238 mm gyuto
Tsourkan 52100 WH ~231 mm gyuto
Kippington 52100 CHG ~225 mm gyuto
Troopah NioMax ~202 mm petty but sort of gyuto-ish
HSC/// Z-Wear ~185 mm mini gyuto

to stretch it to nine I could include a couple more Kippingtons in Nitro-V and maybe an Isasmedjan 1.2519 or a Radiona Breg in Apex Ultra

Back