Custom Knifemaker in the News

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"things meant to cut something"

:D

Interesting read! Not familiar with her work, I am not a fan of most of of what I saw but those are some Gucci steak knives!

Popular Mechanics calls Chelsea Miller the most creative knifemaker in America.

"It always amazes me there aren't more interesting knives out there, that people aren't creating wildly artistic things meant to cut something."
CM

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/a28635374/meet-the-most-creative-knife-maker-in-america/

And the YT

Congrats and great coverage for Chelsea! She's been brilliant at finding a way to get her knives recognized, creating buzz and maintaining it.

Though I feel the writer is terribly sheltered.

Her knives aren't to my liking, I'm more utilitarian in my tastes—Watanabe, Kato, Marko, Mazaki. But I do appreciate her savviness regarding promoting her craft, building a fanbase and making her knives coveted for them—many of them collect her knives because it's a "Chelsea Miller," much the same as those who collect a knife because it's a "Kato" or "TF."

Makes me happy seeing knife makers get recognition for their work—good for the kitchen knife "community."

Last edited:
Wow she's unbearably annoying.
Gives you a migraine?:D

I think she's buddies with fellow Vermonter Nick Anger. remember seeing her in pics with him.

Got to love these not-so-subtle marketing ploys.

Last edited:
More creative than Jay Fisher? Unpossible!

FOSironaGreenOrbicularAgate1.jpg

FODagonGreenOrbicularJasper1.jpg

FOSaussure,SasseridesB.jpg

FOArtemisRedRiverJasper1.jpg

Corny and cringe-worthy, but good exposure for knifemaking. A cute female making bizarre knives is surely more entertaining to the masses than watching an elderly man water quench a blade, which some of us would pay to see.

well, we all know that the reason most knife makers aren't "wildly creative" is that they are using years (or generations) of experience to zero in on the perfect profile and grind for cutting performance, and any deviation purely for aesthetic reasons is going to make it far less useful as a tool, but we probably also all know that the average person doesn't have attention to detail that OCD weirdos like us have, so to get their attention you need to hit them over the head with crude and grotesquely stylized knives like these. i wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, but if she's making money doing something she enjoys, then fair play to her.

There are a few who strike a good balance; Don Nguyen springs to mind, and even someone like Benjamin Kamon.

It always feels like she is stuck on one clever idea that doesn’t actually work.

Hoss

She thinks shes original because her knives can also be used to as graters...little does she know line cooks have been using knives to open #10 cans and 1 gallon plastic containers for decades.

All I can see are grunge collectors. The F&F of those handles is worse than a western TF Nashiji and thats not something I thought I'd ever say. Beyond rustic. Anyone know what these 'collector' items cost?

Reminds me of when chefs won't stop talking about being an artist, usually just full of themselves. The thing I cut myself on most in the kitchen is a grater/microplane so I can imagine all of the good that would come out of adding a blade to one of them.

On a side note though it's pretty awesome that she is able to make something she loves and find a market for it - I think we all are looking for a bit of that in life.

Reminds me of when chefs won't stop talking about being an artist, usually just full of themselves. The thing I cut myself on most in the kitchen is a grater/microplane so I can imagine all of the good that would come out of adding a blade to one of them.

Looks smoothed down, so is just decorative. But I still put forward my untested hypothesis that the reason she's so famous is that the graters ("gratons"?) give ultimate food release. Why else would "chefs" endorse her? ;)

Looks smoothed down, so is just decorative. But I still put forward my untested hypothesis that the reason she's so famous is that the graters ("gratons"?) give ultimate food release. Why else would "chefs" endorse her? ;)

Who wants to wipe down a rusty cheese grater :D

Many famous chefs knife kits are underwhelming. Even the chefs I worked for had boners for shuns etc. so did I at the time.
She seems to me just another Brooklyn “artisan”. Not particularly good at what they do but have a sense or marketing to get away with. Plus she’s super fine

Many famous chefs knife kits are underwhelming. Even the chefs I worked for had boners for shuns etc. so did I at the time.
She seems to me just another Brooklyn “artisan”. Not particularly good at what they do but have a sense or marketing to get away with. Plus she’s super fine
Shes definitely selling her femininity. The video is primarily about her talking about her feelings and the camera captures her body as she poses. Bent over and banging on a blank with a hammer.

Who wants to wipe down a rusty cheese grater :D

;);)
Those divets are still very pronounced. I'm just not getting the point. All she is doing is grinding down a cheese grater and adding an ugly ass handle. And $800 is taking the mickey. Makes me want to shell out $1500 for a Kato and feel I robbed the seller...... Maybe not
I don't trust what chefs recommend. Didn't one invent a 'swiss army' chefs knife with interchangeable blades?:cool::p

Shes definitely selling her femininity. The video is primarily about her talking about her feelings and the camera captures her body as she poses. Bent over and banging on a blank with a hammer.
'Bout sums it up

Here's the extended Director's Cut. Just when you thought it couldn't get even more annoying....... what BS

Last edited:
Back