Cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
received_477204796478621.jpeg
received_378651209516968.jpeg
received_2437204706491280.jpeg

I just got this made from a local wood worker here in Denmark. It is edge grain walnut and it measures 50x30x4 cm. I chose wood and size myself. It is treated with raw virgin linseed oil. I could have chosen end grain aswell. But chose edgegrain because of looks and fewer glue contacts that can fail.

It is just so nice looking and feels solid and heavy. But unfortunately I haven't used it yet. My wife is very firm that it has to be wrapped and saved for Christmas.

The price was about 25 % more then a mass produced board the same size.

..... I kinda like sharpening my knives so I use plastic boards....

This.

Ok, I'd love to have rubber board or think block and save the edges, but the plastic boards are light, thin, ridgid enough to move around, fit at an angle in the sink for a good wash, and stuff under the cabinet when not being used. We have two, so space and portability is even more important.

What do you guys think of the Epicurean boards. I can't find much in the way of reviews that aren't from sellers.

What do you guys think of the Epicurean boards. I can't find much in the way of reviews that aren't from sellers.

I like them for raw protein because I can sanitize in the dishwasher.
The material feels hard on the edge, but that's not an issue for slicing proteins.

I did use one once to mince chicken with a cleaver. I ended up with small shards of cutting board in my meat, so they will not hold up to chopping.

Pros:
Light, thin and don't warp in dishwasher

Cons:
Feel hard on edge
Can chip with hard use.

I don't own one but a friend does. They seem to hold up fairly well but my take is too hard for regular use. My rule of thumb is that there should be some give with fingernail pressure and it fails that. Hi-Soft and variants, Hinoki, softer polyethylene, and softer end grain (e.g. cherry) will pass that test. Bone breaker chopping is another matter entirely.

Just wanted to give a strong recommendation for Hasegawa cutting boards. They're absolutely amazing for all sorts of ingredients, and extremely easy to clean due to their light weight. The main thing is how easy on the knife edge they are. But they're designed in a way that you won't get your knife sticking into it as much as a Hi-soft. They're probably some of the nicest synthetic boards out there, and when they're on sale they are a pretty good deal. Asahi boards are also a good alternative but I've heard they're better mainly for breaking down fish.

+1 for Hasegawa. I have a few different size boards and one thin mat. I mainly use them for protein but works great for harder ingredients too with easier cutting style. You can feel the surface is gentle to knives edges.

I have a 5 mm Hasegawa that I put on top of my normal board for proteins. It's light, easy to clean, and works well. I'm very happy with it.

This.

Ok, I'd love to have rubber board or think block and save the edges, but the plastic boards are light, thin, ridgid enough to move around, fit at an angle in the sink for a good wash, and stuff under the cabinet when not being used. We have two, so space and portability is even more important.

i have one of these gray ones. I think the design is quite ok. but the rim is just softer plastic. a few years ago i had a similar one but the rim was rubber. that was much better.

i-zwilling-cutting-board-25x38-5cm-grey.jpg

zwilling-skaerebraet-38-5x25x1cm-35115-200-18281-1.jpg

Last edited:
Any thoughts on an affordable, lighter board somewhere around 15" x 10" in size? Just looking for something that's light enough for my wife to pull out and use regularly, already have a large walnut butcher's block.

I was thinking a hinoki board might fit the bill, but how heavy/light would something like a Hi Soft be in comparison? (Also, Hi Soft or Sani Tuff?) Are there better hinoki options than the Shun boards?

Any thoughts on an affordable, lighter board somewhere around 15" x 10" in size? Just looking for something that's light enough for my wife to pull out and use regularly, already have a large walnut butcher's block.

I was thinking a hinoki board might fit the bill, but how heavy/light would something like a Hi Soft be in comparison? (Also, Hi Soft or Sani Tuff?) Are there better hinoki options than the Shun boards?

+1 on Hinoki. I got a cheap one (non-Shun) through Amazon. It’s more or less replaced my end grain board for daily use. Light, pleasant feel on knife contact, and it smells nice. The one I got was branded as made in Korea if that helps.

Pasta on a large boos maple edge grain
Veggies on boardsmith cherry end grains (these are amazing quality)
Raw protein on a ashi rubber board

Gave my mom a Hinoki board, she loves it. Lightweight, easy on edges, affordable and naturally anti-microbial. Hinoki for veg and ashi/highsoft rubber for proteins are my recommendations.
I fell in love with the rubber boards during my years doing sushi, the large ones are like a big playground for a cook. The rubber boards are quite dense and heavy for the size.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 77
View attachment 65845 View attachment 65846 View attachment 65847

I just got this made from a local wood worker here in Denmark. It is edge grain walnut and it measures 50x30x4 cm. I chose wood and size myself. It is treated with raw virgin linseed oil. I could have chosen end grain aswell. But chose edgegrain because of looks and fewer glue contacts that can fail.

It is just so nice looking and feels solid and heavy. But unfortunately I haven't used it yet. My wife is very firm that it has to be wrapped and saved for Christmas.

The price was about 25 % more then a mass produced board the same size.
Nice looking board.
Can you tell me, whom you got it from?
I would like to expand my number of end-grain boards, and I´m also located in Denmark.

Nice looking board.
Can you tell me, whom you got it from?
I would like to expand my number of end-grain boards, and I´m also located in Denmark.[/QUOTE

sure

His Name is Rasmus Fausing. And his business is called Fausings. You can find him on FB. And his webpage is www.fausings.dk

his phone number is 60616830

great guy to deal with and gives 10 years guarantee.

Marry Christmas

My board comes from mtm wood in Russia ,cheap and good

I have a huge 30x23 Boos maple edge block, and a smaller Boos walnut end block. I keep them on the counter. I use the edge block for nearly everything. The walnut block gets used here and there, but mostly catches mail. We have several sizes of the Epicurean boards kept in the cupboards that the rest of the family use, and I use for meat as well.

I have always meant to buy a Boardsmith...someday.

I’m just going to get a board Smith. The dark cherry sounds good. Too many positive reviews and fans of the product, plus the plastic legs make a lot of sense.

Back