Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@HSC /// Knives Apex Ultra 230 / 57 / 267g w. snakewood + mango
@HSC /// Knives 52100 in wrought iron 238 / 55.5 / 230g w. ironwood + ebony

46986015ew.jpeg

46986016ul.jpeg

Hey, @SwampDonkey, can you give us a rundown on these beauties?
From left to right:

Merion Forge 200x53
Unshu Yukimitsu 230x51
Munetoshi 245x52
Eddworks 253x60
Okubo 256x57
Mazaki 248x52

I can pontificate further on any if you have questions, figured I'd keep it sweet before I got muted for one-too-many Okubo love letters.

Last edited:
So, first question. Do people round the spines on these things? Maybe I’m spoiled but this knife has like three cutting edges, not one
I haven't. My spine has corners, but they don't seem that sharp. When I use it, my forefinger is resting on the spine, not moving around, and really all I feel is the flat of the spine. If the spine were narrower, it might well be an issue. Also, the knife is so slicey that there really isn't much backpressure on my finger.

Yep. I don't mind them as much on the larger Endura handle but Endelas and Delicas get some real work before I'm satisfied. Sal and I had many on-line discussions about my desire for a no-groove handle. Obviously, he disagreed and he's the boss (and legend). 😁

I don't mind a little residual sculpting but I find nearly all finger grooves limiting. Another thing I've gone round and round about is the "Spydercos have great ergos" assertions. It is absolutely true in some regards but absolutely not in others. A lot of Spyderco's require you to use the forward finger groove to get that extreme comfort. If you hold it that way, there's no arguing it feels great. The trouble I find is, most of us don't actually execute many cuts using that grip. Sal makes prolific use of the finger groove for help keeping things tidy, design wise, up front so I get it, I just prefer more neutral handles. Eric did a great job finding a compromise on the Manix line.

Don't get me wrong, and I think you know, I'm a die hard Spyderco fan and aside from the occasional gentleman's folder, they are basically all I carry. But, that doesn't mean I love every aspect of them. :)

For reference, I think the Buck 110 is the single most comfortable folding knife I've ever used.

Was that a custom order? I don't see them on KnifeJapan.
Yes. Okubo san makes pretty much everything to order anyway so it isn't a big deal to get specs tweaked. I asked for a "~250x55 gyuto with a flatter heel. If it's bigger in either direction I won't be mad" it came out just as I hoped. The heel has a good flat spot that makes push cutting a delight. I've noticed from other gyuto/santoku posts on here and from Michael that he tends to make a little curvier profiles so I wanted be ahead of that.

Back