Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The “get things done” quintet:

View attachment 156574

Sukenari AS has been thinned with a mirror polish on the core. Its handle I like to think of as “Stealth KnS Ebony”: mineral oil, P320, final microfiber clothe buffing.

View attachment 156572

Sukenari HAP is my newest acquisition, seen a few preps but no work done yet. Edge could be finer and BTE thinner, so I guess there’s a project there in a near future. Mirror core I assume will be a PITA there. Teak handle is top notch.

View attachment 156571

The other ones been presented here not long ago. Here regrouped not especially because they’re the only multiples of same makers I own, but because they do rank up nicely together for a home cook.

View attachment 156573

Could own only these and need nothing else forever. They’re all excellent, easy knives, yet none is really a favorite of mine although I thoroughly enjoy using them. Real nice to have at hand.

Just to parse some "unspecial" in this kaleidoscope of great customs we have here. :)

Been looking at the 210 Sukenari in R2? Think it'd hold up in a high volume professional setting? Want the edge retention without the chipping...

Bringing the price point down a few dozen notches with this one.
1276C1CE-F3EE-4DD0-A4F9-0542DFDCAE25.jpeg

Been looking at the 210 Sukenari in R2? Think it'd hold up in a high volume professional setting? Want the edge retention without the chipping...

I think you'd be fine but if edge retention is your primary concern then I'd go for the HAP40.

Since it's holiday roast season, I thought I'd post this photo of my main meat cutters that I took a while back.

slicers3.jpeg

Anryu AS 300 suji
Takeda NAS 300 gyuto
Yoshihiro aogami 2 240 kiritsuke/gyuto (double bevel, but strongly biased)
Togiharu 270 granton edged suji
Gesshin Ginga 210 stainless petty/suji

The top three have basically zero flex to them, which is my preference for mammals, and they have enough weight and are balanced far enough forward to let the knife do most of the work when cutting. That's especially true of the XL Takeda gyuto, which is a freaking monster... the balance point is a good couple inches past a pinch grip, so it *wants* to fall through food. The Yoshihiro is a great all around knife... very slicey profile that's weighty for the size. Rustic as **** with a handle that's too long. I love it.

The Togiharu is my fish knife. Has some flex without getting out of control. Has one of those weird 90/10 bevels that Korin loves to sell -- it's basically flat on the back. I wish it were more of a traditional double bevel sot hat it could also double as a general prep knife, but the bevel is biased enough that it steers heavily through food. The Ginga also has some flex, but its main use is as a "line knife" when I'm grilling on my konro or doing something teppanyaki-style. Also good for slicing poultry.

Since it's holiday roast season, I thought I'd post this photo of my main meat cutters that I took a while back.

View attachment 157234

Anryu AS 300 suji
Takeda NAS 300 gyuto
Yoshihiro aogami 2 240 kiritsuke/gyuto (double bevel, but strongly biased)
Togiharu 270 granton edged suji
Gesshin Ginga 210 stainless petty/suji

The top three have basically zero flex to them, which is my preference for mammals, and they have enough weight and are balanced far enough forward to let the knife do most of the work when cutting. That's especially true of the XL Takeda gyuto, which is a freaking monster... the balance point is a good couple inches past a pinch grip, so it *wants* to fall through food. The Yoshihiro is a great all around knife... very slicey profile that's weighty for the size. Rustic as **** with a handle that's too long. I love it.

The Togiharu is my fish knife. Has some flex without getting out of control. Has one of those weird 90/10 bevels that Korin loves to sell -- it's basically flat on the back. I wish it were more of a traditional double bevel sot hat it could also double as a general prep knife, but the bevel is biased enough that it steers heavily through food. The Ginga also has some flex, but its main use is as a "line knife" when I'm grilling on my konro or doing something teppanyaki-style. Also good for slicing poultry.
That Takeda 300 looks like a monster. Probably more surface area than my medium size cutting boards.

165mm honesuki takes on the 15lb turkey.

SzklpuS.jpg

It honestly was completely acceptable and while a 180mm knife would work a little better, the 165mm is much more universal for my needs so I'm pleased. Now, the soft steel of the Masakane (SK) does need to be sharpened after two chickens and this turkey.

(Dry brined)
MTskDdI.jpg

I have a 240 in the YXRT steel that I need to sell. If it interests you hit me up.

deleted

Attachments

• DDC568D8-54F0-423A-8DE6-1B70FCE5652D.jpeg
    DDC568D8-54F0-423A-8DE6-1B70FCE5652D.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 40CB4938-C702-44D6-959A-5527C8E9D8B3.jpeg
    40CB4938-C702-44D6-959A-5527C8E9D8B3.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 5FE1EC57-ABFF-4E96-B82E-4AE5FC679050.jpeg
    5FE1EC57-ABFF-4E96-B82E-4AE5FC679050.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 45
  • 08AFE2E1-CA0C-4745-8D8B-5BAFD43810C8.jpeg
    08AFE2E1-CA0C-4745-8D8B-5BAFD43810C8.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hado sumi series 180mm white2 bunka
forged by Y Tanaka, and sharpened by Maruyama
Fit and Finish is awesome, handle is beautifully finished, spine and choil is polished nicely.
and the grind is....pretty much perfect
i will be following this company for more of their work

RF1cqRz.jpeg

QHlUwqN.png

8E2269CE-DC4D-4AEE-8D71-9487795E290D.jpeg

Cleaned up Christmas rib roast. Rib cap, eye roast, and... the chain? I don't know what to call that part. Anyway, all the fat has been rendered and the bones and meat trimmings are roasting in the oven before hitting the pressure cooker to make stock.

Gesshin Ginga 210 petty/suji and a Misono Swedish hankotsu.

Hado sumi series 180mm white2 bunka
forged by Y Tanaka, and sharpened by Maruyama
Fit and Finish is awesome, handle is beautifully finished, spine and choil is polished nicely.
and the grind is....pretty much perfect
i will be following this company for more of their work

RF1cqRz.jpeg

QHlUwqN.png
Yes I have an OUL ginsan that is the same company and it is fantastic. Just ordered a sumi petty. Hearing your thoughts makes me even more excited to get mine. I also am becoming a fan of these guys work.

fondue-prep1.jpg

Sukenari 210 suji/petty helping with the fondue prep for pork belly and beef strip next, so they can bath each in a marinade for several hours before game time. This year I partially butterflied the belly bites through the fatty side to get it more exposre to the marinade and to the oil at cooking time.

fondue-prep2.jpg

Shi.Han 52100 after slicing some roast beef...

IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1075.jpg

I'm used to see it turn rather more blue from acidic veggies and raw meats. For inexplicable reasons I always kept with the Victo 10" for slicing cooked meat. Or not so inexplicable: it's my longest knife and I can't be worried of leaving it there overnight if it's what it is.

IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

See it going into the KU finish as well. Beautiful. I've seen dirty patinas on iron clad Whites be somewhat beautiful like that, but always looking out of control with spots that totally are.

IMG_1076.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg

This is spotless in being spotted. SG6K edge is woooonderful on that steel. It's what it always asked for and never entirely got... out of Ouka, NP3K, Imanishi 4K, Morihei 4K, SP5K, Rika (but I was such a poorer sharpener back then), Kitayama 8K. They all claimed nice results, but this is not only nice, it's the one edge it wants more than anything IME.

IMG_1064.jpg

The ends and a few slices were already being finished in simmering cooking gravy. My mother always did it like that and I just expanded on the concept of what gives a really good gravy a bit. And the ends are always mine favorite pieces - they always get onto a plate first. Then the ugly end was just the end, and the regular end was the more slices added.

Sorry - I'd like to document some food making more even if I think I'm barely an ok cook, but I usually do all alone for a crew so timings are much more important than taking pictures. Nothing more tasty to add.

Back