Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few Customs handled with wood of an apple tree out of our garden.

42664451yl.jpg

That Kamon kind of looks like an integral now

Does anyone know the holiday-blues? I was bored, found an offer for a mass-produced knife I was willing to try (I am sure there is no need to name it), got it today and started preparations for tomorrow:

42729046xm.jpeg

42729045jq.jpeg

These guys get some additonal props in looking nice in real world settings.

I ordered a Christmas blues myself but sadly will only get it in time for New Year’s incoming bill payments blues…

My wife's favorite color is red. This is the swing guard Case Cheetah in red Pearlite and accompanying oxblood leather slip that I gifted her. I thought it would go onto the "oh that's nice honey" gift pile but to my surprise she loved it. It lives on her desk and gets called into frequent service for everything from sandwich slicing to package opening.

Once in a while she hands it to me and asks for it to get freshened up. Today was one of those times. :)

VFIdgo8.jpg

ZKramer Meiji:

42751198aq.jpeg

Seriously underrated knives that have outstanding handles. The 8inch and 10micro gyuto are great overall as is the small paring knife. Also their heat treat on aeb l is solid, diamonds make it shine edge retention wise

Seriously underrated knives that have outstanding handles. The 8inch and 10micro gyuto are great overall as is the small paring knife. Also their heat treat on aeb l is solid, diamonds make it shine edge retention wise
Hmmmmm… I wouldn’t go as far as calling them „underrated“ but they’re good knives.

I once had an 8“ Western handled ZKramer Euroline Carbon (52100). That knife impressed me with its tip back in the day which was quite thin and flew through onions. But I really hated everything else about that knife: fit and finish was horrible (scratches on the blade face and the usual rivets/shrunken wood), the handle was simply way too fat for my size10 hands, and the profile didn’t click with me either (way too round and way too high for the length). However, I still have a paring knife of that series which is really great!

However, so many people like the 10“ size of the ZKramers so holiday blues boredom and an okayish price were a great excuse to give that Meiji version a try. F&F are good, the handle is nice, the profile works (I think I’d love it more if it didn’t have that bend/curve upwards close to the tip). But the knife didn’t impress me. What had impressed me with the Euroline version was its thin tip. This knife doesn’t seem to have such a thin tip. Or it is the polished blade finish of the Meiji version that simply creates way too much stiction. Good release definitely isn’t a strength of this Meiji knife.

What else can I say? The damascus looks nice, more subtle that the usual black&white colours, the mirror-like polish looks nice but has disadvantages of increased stiction and reduced food release.

If you are rather new to this hobby and/or if you’re looking for a stainless knife and damascus is smth you fancy, the Meiji knives are a solid recommendation, especially if you don’t pay full price!

42756009mb.jpeg

42756010nl.jpeg

42756011fl.jpeg

42756013le.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmmmm… I wouldn’t go as far as calling them „underrated“ but they’re good knives.

I once had an 8“ Western handled ZKramer Euroline Carbon (52100). That knife impressed me with its tip back in the day which was quite thin and flew through onions. But I really hated everything else about that knife: for and finish was horrible (scratches on the blade face and the usual rivets/shrunken wood), the handle was simply way too fat for my size10 hands, and the profile didn’t click with me either (way too round and way too high for the length). However, I still have a paring knife of that series which is really great!

However, so many people like the 10“ size of the ZKramers so holiday blues boredom and an okayish price were a great excuse to give that Meiji version a try. F&F are good, the handle is nice, the profile works (I think I’d love it more if it didn’t have that bend/curve upwards close to the tip). But the knife didn’t impress me. What had impressed me with the Euroline version was its thin tip. This knife doesn’t seem to have such a thin tip. Or it is the polished blade finish of the Meiji version that simply creates way too much stiction. Good release definitely isn’t a strength of this Meiji knife.

What else can I say? The damascus looks nice, more subtle that the usual black&white colours, the mirror-like polish looks nice but has disadvantages of increased stiction and reduced food release.

If you are rather new to this hobby and/or if you’re looking for a stainless knife and damascus is smth you fancy, the Meiji knives are a solid recommendation, especially if you don’t pay full price!

42756009mb.jpeg

42756010nl.jpeg

42756011fl.jpeg

42756013le.jpeg
That chrome dama finish reminds me of cheap "japanese" (chinese) knives, though 🙂

I agree. I am not a Fan of damascus unless it comes from DevinT, Maumasi, Xerxes… I wanted to try a 10“ ZKramer and as the Western handled versions aren’t for me, I thought I’d try a Meiji despite the damascus…
Yeah, hey man, I bought a blue 2 dama from y tanaka, and I feel the same way.

I once had an 8“ Western handled ZKramer Euroline Carbon (52100). That knife impressed me with its tip back in the day which was quite thin and flew through onions. But I really hated everything else about that knife: for and finish was horrible (scratches on the blade face and the usual rivets/shrunken wood), the handle was simply way too fat for my size10 hands, and the profile didn’t click with me either (way too round and way too high for the length). However, I still have a paring knife of that series which is really great!

42756009mb.jpeg

42756010nl.jpeg

42756011fl.jpeg

42756013le.jpeg

That is fair for sure :) I guess I think of these in mass market adjusted terms which makes me like them more/regard them higher. Also I am a bit of a sucker for that profile and handle, somehow it just works for me. That said agree with the dammy and the finish, would be better with a scotch brite type finish to me. Same issue with the sg2 knives, fix the finish and a light thinning and they are quite nice to me.

New family photo

* Konosuke SLD Sanjo GT 245mm
* Sukenari R2 K-tip Gyuto 203mm
* Takamura Chromax Nakiri 165mm
* Masahiro Bessaku Honesuki 180mm

One joins the work roll of unchippables in rotation.

Attachments

• 20220104_100715-01~2-02~2.jpeg
    20220104_100715-01~2-02~2.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 19
Back