Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
53007100320_56b62f1b22_o.jpg

Sicard.

Gave a kidney for it but what a piece. Super cool industrial look with the orbital sander finish. Feel in hand / balance is killer. Does not feel like an intimidating knife for 260mm. I dunno guys.... the hype is real, but these two deliver. Kamon x Martin Huber. I need a more exciting background now @OwlWoodworks LOL.

KxH.jpg

Yup. I've had the 8" in the past but it's too curvy due to the same heel height as the 10"
I couldn’t agree more. The 8“ version is one of the worst knives I’ve ever had. Nothing fits for me: length to height ratio, handle size, weight, balance… Fit and finish was horrible, too, btw. 10“ works better but I still didn’t like the chubby handle. Best ZKramer for me was the Meiji handle.

Gave a kidney for it but what a piece. Super cool industrial look with the orbital sander finish. Feel in hand / balance is killer. Does not feel like an intimidating knife for 260mm. I dunno guys.... the hype is real, but these two deliver. Kamon x Martin Huber. I need a more exciting background now @OwlWoodworks LOL.

View attachment 251792
Hahahaha, noted 😉

Having trouble with where to put them as im out of space. I have couple more knives inside of both of my work bags. I guess it’s time to invest on some wall magnetic racks. View attachment 251895
Tool chest in the garage works wonders, don’t ask how I know.

Also I love the handle second from the top.

When you have less than an hour to fake it till you make it:

IMG_6380.jpeg

Before

IMG_6385.jpeg

After

Sakai Kikumori Nihonkou 210mm Gyuto
Hasty SG 500,1k,2k
then 4kHC 8kHC on “hira”
and Ohira Tomae on “kireha”
8k edge

’Tis an insult to serious polishers everywhere

The SG HC stones do slurry up nicely though, under a diamond lapping NL-8 in this case

Last edited:
I am aware of your fondness for Rob. And certainly a specific style from him as well. Such a killer smith. And the ones Lee finished up are definitely special
Haha the fondness has worn off a bit. It was really cool to learn from his style and find some other smiths that have similarities that I like and are much easier to obtain.

Haha the fondness has worn off a bit. It was really cool to learn from his style and find some other smiths that have similarities that I like and are much easier to obtain.
I can see why now that you’ve got a dialed couple of knives from him. Who are some of the makers you are finding similarity with?

I can see why now that you’ve got a dialed couple of knives from him. Who are some of the makers you are finding similarity with?
I really want to get a Simon Maillet at this point, I get similar vibes from his work. The one I tried was a very competent knife, just wasn't my profile. But it's more about certain attributes I've learned to like from lasers to middleweights to workhorses.

I don't really like to compare smiths as they are usually all unique in their own way. But from Rob, his heat treatment and balance are some of my favorite things. I love these almost bullnose/KS/Funayuki profiles as well, flat push cutters. It's also cool that smiths like him and Milan have very good range in what they make. Different grinds, profiles, cladding, handles, etc..

My iron clad Wat is an all-timer as well, thing just wants to cut with minimal effort, but I have to work on the balance with a new handle. Tetsujin's steel feels similar and takes a scary edge. Wakui WH just makes me never need to search for another WH. Good price, nice grind, easy to sharpen, and was like $350. I'm much more hesitant to pay $1k for any knife anymore. Although....you mf'ers on BST be tempting me every damn day.

I really want to get a Simon Maillet at this point, I get similar vibes from his work. The one I tried was a very competent knife, just wasn't my profile. But it's more about certain attributes I've learned to like from lasers to middleweights to workhorses.

I don't really like to compare smiths as they are usually all unique in their own way. But from Rob, his heat treatment and balance are some of my favorite things. I love these almost bullnose/KS/Funayuki profiles as well, flat push cutters. It's also cool that smiths like him and Milan have very good range in what they make. Different grinds, profiles, cladding, handles, etc..

My iron clad Wat is an all-timer as well, thing just wants to cut with minimal effort, but I have to work on the balance with a new handle. Tetsujin's steel feels similar and takes a scary edge. Wakui WH just makes me never need to search for another WH. Good price, nice grind, easy to sharpen, and was like $350. I'm much more hesitant to pay $1k for any knife anymore. Although....you mf'ers on BST be tempting me every damn day.
I feel you on the profiles of Rob’s knives… they are sooooo sweet for push cutting (which is my preferred cutting style) and I love his near santoku style of low tip. I like that profile especially with a weightier knife. I’ve been eyeing those wakui wh… they look fun! And Simon has been making sweet stuff lately. Wat is always on my list…. But they’re getting kinda tough rn find.

Back