Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to touch up the ootb edge
20230813_071942.jpg

Maybe the edge was oxidized. Maybe over-refined from the last polish. A couple swipes on JKI 1k diamond brought back some tooth. Sakai Kikumori Nihonkou 210mm previously subjected to faux kasumi.

View attachment 262772View attachment 262773

Looking good. Is food sticking less to the blade after the kasumi polish? I haven’t tried this specific knife but I found similar Japanese monosteel to be a bit sticky OOTB. Did you thin it as well, or only polished?

The cherry tomatoes didn’t stick. Against my fingertips the faux kasumi has tangibly less stiction than the faux migaki.

I don’t know if I’ve ever successfully thinned anything. I’ve tried, but…
I thought I was thinning, but I was merely polishing.

I thought I was polishing, but I was merely sharpening.

I thought I was sharpening, but I was merely deburring.

I thought I was deburring, but I was merely rounding the apex.

Imma whack a bag of onions. Get back to you tomorrow.

Last edited:
The cherry tomatoes didn’t stick. Against my fingertips the faux kasumi has tangibly less stiction than the faux migaki.

I don’t know if I’ve ever successfully thinned anything. I’ve tried, but…

Imma whack a bag of onions. Get back to you tomorrow.
or some potatoes... the ultimate test

with me it's more like "I thought I was thinning, but I was merely overthinning and creating a foil edge"

Loving the 210mm Kei Kobayashi so much I got a 150mmpetty. The Damascus is beautiful but doesn't have the makers mark. The handle ties them both together. The handles look kind of like pakka wood but not sure, perhaps somebody knows. The urushi coating looks like it could be slippery when wet, but gets even "gripyer" when wet
20230818_163934.jpg

1) The Nine
2) The 9
3) The.9nine
4) The 3^2
5) Robert Trimarchi
6) The IX
7) A honesuki by The Nine
8) A cleaver by The Nine
9) <---
2023 Bucket List achieved:
Nines-193005200.JPG

And yet, I lust after more of Rob's work. A sujihiki and parer would be amazing. And any other of his knives, really. I want them all.

Edit: I'd also like to thank @enrico, @Bico Doce, @crocca86, @Neville Lin and @preizzo for making the dream a reality. Enrico especially has an almost supernatural gift for sniffing out Nines that are ready to be rehomed.

Last edited:
Back