Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom Tanaka cleaver finally arrived! This thing feels amazing
PXL_20220115_223721383.jpg

New Knife Day... and a couple of comparisons to old.

First new from JNS. Yoshikazu Tanaka 210mm Gyuto and Munetoshi 165mm Petty arrived today.

Camerasale.jpg

Camerasale 1.jpg

Camerasale 2.jpg

Then a comparison with my Watanabe 210mm Gyuto. 210mm is always 210mm even if measured from differnt points, right?

Camerasale 3.jpg

Camerasale 4.jpg

Camerasale 5.jpg

And the Wat should have been cleaned better before I brought the camera...

Last edited:
Just received my Shigeki Tanaka 240 Ginsan Lite from K&S. Got this understanding it was supposed to need some work on the choil and spine, but it is certainly serviceable and comfortable enough until I get to it. Sharpest knife OOTB I have ever purchased. Loving the weight, balance and cutting feel. Didn't realize I was a 240 guy until this knife.
IMG_0680.JPG

Sorry, sure: it is a Carter Muteki from Taylor Shields.

I have had 3 Muteki knives before, I did enjoy all of them, but this 4th one is my favorite. I think it is because of its simple yet elegant appearance, as well as its profile and balance. It just feels good!
What do you think of these Mutekis? I have had my eye in them forEVER but just haven’t pulled the trigger. What’s the grind like? Thin? Distal? Chunky? Laser-y?

What do you think of these Mutekis? I have had my eye in them forEVER but just haven’t pulled the trigger. What’s the grind like? Thin? Distal? Chunky? Laser-y?
Mutekis are definitely on the thinner side, max. midweight. One thing you need to know is that the knives are pretty much everywhere profile-wise. I mean, if a particular knife is what you're looking for and you are pretty sure you do like the profile, then go for it. But you'll never see that particular profile again, ever. In other words: Carter will sell everything on his site, not any 240 gyuto is similar to another...

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday, I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love

42873760ow.jpeg

42873761ge.jpeg

42873762ll.jpeg

42873763cq.jpeg

42873764ay.jpeg

42873765ex.jpeg

This Western handled gyuto is a piece of art from @KAMON Knives. 308.5 / 68 / 345g of pure perfection. Apex Ultra, that is.

Oh, before I forget to mention it, this is a friendly loaner (I put the other one in the pic just for size reference - it is 282mm long) but I am seriously considering not sending it back to Ben… Come and get me!!!:coffee:

Last edited:
I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday, I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love

42873760ow.jpeg

42873761ge.jpeg

42873762ll.jpeg

42873763cq.jpeg

42873764ay.jpeg

42873765ex.jpeg

This Western handled gyuto is a piece of art from @KAMON Knives. 308 / 68 / 345g of pure perfection. Apex Ultra, that is.

Oh, before I forget to mention it, this is a friendly loaner (I put the other one in the pic just for size reference - it is 282mm long) but I am seriously considering not sending it back to Ben… Come and get me!!!:coffee:
Broooooo you guys are killin me

Back