Danny Owen AKA Zwiefel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never met nor interacted with, but always enjoyed his postings. Rest in peace

****...been a long day and came here to relax...this sucks. Had the pleasure of meeting/hanging out with him once and he was just a great guy.

Here's to you Danny, you will be missed.

Damn, damn, damn this is pretty depressing news. One of the forum guys that always was sharing his experiences and willing to help out. The forum will be worse off with his passing. Think I will have to pour a stiff drink in his honor.

I've only been on the forums for a short while, but had a very strong/good impression of Zwiefel/Danny.

RIP

too soon. ***?
the best ones never are around long enough.
appreciate the pictures for what it's worth.
also i'm kinda sad this brought rrlover.
overall I gotta cut and burn a bunch of stuff to get through a few thoughts I never finished.

Last edited:
I'm really sad and shocked to hear this. I met Danny twice in the company of the Minneapolis knife gang. He was such a genuine guy, easy to get to know, thoughtful, and generous.
In my mind's eye, I have a picture of him grinning from ear-to-ear while eating a huge piece of the ribeye primal that Salty brought up to MN last year for the gathering at Mr. Drinky's. I'm gonna go read that thread now, I think.

I hope and trust that he's at peace. Those who knew him better have my deep sympathies.

Wow, what a sad loss. He was a great member and contributor here, and I'm sure there are hundreds of people who benefitted from his contributions. Given the sadness being expressed here, I can't even imagine what those who knew him more personally are going through.
Rest in peace, Danny.
(I'd also be very interested in seeing his obit if someone could share one.)

I'm not sure what to say...Danny you will be greatly missed. I'm glad I had the pleasure to meet and get to know Danny, thanks to this forum and the event that Karring put together last year. He was as many have mentioned before, very passionate about life. We've had many a great conversation and what they say is true, the good die young. Danny, may you rest in peace, thank you for being kind, welcoming and just an all around great person. We will miss you, but never forget you.

Rest in peace, man. I really like your contributions and I think you were a really nice man. I will miss you a lot!

I can't get over this shocking news. Dan-O came to Panaca a couple of times. We talked about everything. Crazy bad news.

Hoss

I never knew Danny, but every post of his was a joy to read, definitely was a knowledgeable guy when it comes to knives, and I'm sure other things as well, his insight will be greatly missed RIP buddy

In my mind's eye, I have a picture of him grinning from ear-to-ear while eating a huge piece of the ribeye primal that Salty brought up to MN last year for the gathering at Mr. Drinky's.

Here is one that comes to mind for me.

k.

16421877559_74302fc5e2_o.jpg

I saw this post last night and have been getting my thoughts together since. I met Patrick "Danny" Owens a few years ago on one of his cross country tours. He came out with his then wife, two dogs and camper in tow. We shopped at the famers market, had a proper BBQ lunch then came back to my place to make dinner. I got to try a few passarounds, the Massamoto KS and Kramer 10" Carbon. We carried on all night long. As other have mentioned, he was a gentleman, never had a bad word to say about anyone. Made Keller roasted pork belly with white beans and kale.

That was back in ~2011, since then he and I stayed in touch. I gave him my advise on chamber vac's, Kamado cookers, pressure cookers, De Buyer... We both loved to cook so we were always bouncing ideas off each others.

I knew he went through a tough emotional time, nasty divorce, moving... He never mentioned to me that he had any physical or psychological ailments. We talked mostly about food. He loved to rib me cause I'm a Bostonian talkin Yankee. I know without a doubt that his most prized knife was his Don Nyugen (which I had a chance to use, wonderful cutter).

Last we spoke 1/5/16, and talked about the possibility of him coming back to NC to hang out and drive up to the ECG hosted at Bills. We had plans, guess that won't happen. My deepest sympathy to his family. You'll be missed my friend.

Shocked and saddened , will miss your food posts and good will. RIP

Rest in peace Danny. Never got to know him personally but it's quite obvious he will be sorely missed.

I didn't know him personally, but it was great to have him as part of the community.

Rest In Peace Danny.

One thing about him. Sure, he liked his knives and had a few, but he wasn't really gonzo about it like people get. He certainly liked cooking more - Indian, then lots of sous vide especially. He was here mostly for community and was good at it. It's nice to see people noticed

This is bumming me out, I was reading one of his threads the other day. My condolences to any of his friends or family who might be reading through this thread (KKF friends included).

RIP, Danny. I'll miss you and your horrible, horrible movie recommendations.

Back