Do blenders spin a different direction in the southern hemisphere than in the northern hemisphere?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, in the Northern hemisphere my stick blender spins counterclockwise (same as the drain in my toilet & sink.

Question:
Do mixers, blenders, and immersion blenders spin clockwise in the Southern hemisphere?

If not, is there a discernible difference?

Can't tell if serious, but love the question.

Also, maybe this is a good excuse to say that in real world circumstances, the Coriolis effect doesn't have a meaningful influence on which way water spins when it goes down the toilet/drain. It's far more influenced by the shape of the drain.

dan.jpg

The most famous Dan.

Can't tell if serious, but love the question.

Also, maybe this is a good excuse to say that in real world circumstances, the Coriolis effect doesn't have a meaningful influence on which way water spins when it goes down the toilet/drain. It's far more influenced by the shape of the drain.

But apparently the hemisphere does have some impact

BTW - I posed the question in jest.
👍👍👍

Attachments

• 4D0D853C-1FDE-4E01-8A08-643AFE0A05E3.jpeg
    4D0D853C-1FDE-4E01-8A08-643AFE0A05E3.jpeg
    514.8 KB
Reactions: ian
But apparently the hemisphere does have some impact

BTW - I posed the question in jest.
👍👍👍

Yes, that’s why I phrased the earlier post like I did. It has an effect, but it’s not measurable in real life situations because it’s much weaker than other factors.

Of course they will spin in another direction. Just check your blender and turn it around... No wonder it will spin in another direction ;)

So, in the Northern hemisphere my stick blender spins counterclockwise (same as the drain in my toilet & sink.

Question:
Do mixers, blenders, and immersion blenders spin clockwise in the Southern hemisphere?

If not, is there a discernible difference?
Jeff,

the blender spins whatever direction that the motor spins. It has nothing to do with where the blender is on the earth. I’m honestly not sure if you’re joking or not so I’m just answering your question directly. Since the motor is most likely a DC motor, if you swap the + and - inputs on the motor it will spin in the opposite direction. Hope this makes sense to you.

I call bullsheet!

Most famous Dan has first name "Steely"

And my Vmix spins whatever way it wants too...
While I love your reference to one of my favorite bands of all time. Dan doesn’t actually exist. But, that band is unbelievable live and you and I actually have something in common.

Mine spins to the right only during the months with an ‘r’ in their name.

Back