Favorite cookbooks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting around to this...
001.JPG

A bit late, but it's good.

This one is incredible. Most true to form Cajun/Creole recipes I've tried. It's where I get my etouffee, crawfish pie, duck fricassee, and redfish courtbouillon from. Lots of great knife workout recipes in here too...conveniently. I grew up with the paperback (top) one, and you can tell my mom's most loved recipes like crawfish pie because they've got roux and splatter all over them. Highly recommend. Just ordered myself the hardcover since I figured it was time to stop looking at pictures on my phone I'd snapped of all my favorites.

Screenshot_20231005_110046_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231005_110034_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Just came out. I’m a huge fan of the other Scott mowbray book so I picked this bad boy up too. I got the lucury of trying out his spicy sriracha meat loaf and some others before the book came out and they were awesome so look forward to trying more out of this book

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Any suggestions for korean cookbooks?
Depends how bougie you are but I like Aaron and Claire (it’s on you tube) pretty basic nothing crazy but still achieves good flavor. It is not “authentic” like old school Korean traditional, more of the new age Korean for sure. My parents would hate it. lol

Edit sorry you asked for cook books. He has a cookbook don’t recall the name but he is pretty popular and an easy Google will fix that

Last edited:
Depends how bougie you are but I like Aaron and Claire (it’s on you tube) pretty basic nothing crazy but still achieves good flavor. It is not “authentic” like old school Korean traditional, more of the new age Korean for sure. My parents would hate it. lol

"This is gonna change your life. Don't worry about it."

:)

This one is incredible. Most true to form Cajun/Creole recipes I've tried. It's where I get my etouffee, crawfish pie, duck fricassee, and redfish courtbouillon from. Lots of great knife workout recipes in here too...conveniently. I grew up with the paperback (top) one, and you can tell my mom's most loved recipes like crawfish pie because they've got roux and splatter all over them. Highly recommend. Just ordered myself the hardcover since I figured it was time to stop looking at pictures on my phone I'd snapped of all my favorites.

View attachment 273524
View attachment 273525
Incoming, I'm excited. I've taken to making tasso and andouille. Just can't get tasso in my part of the country. Boudin is on my short list.

Incoming, I'm excited. I've taken to making tasso and andouille. Just can't get tasso in my part of the country. Boudin is on my short list.
Never thought to make my own tasso...that's a good idea. My local fish market carries a few different offerings and I like Poche's boudin, Andouille, and tasso more than pretty much every other supplier I've tried. Don't care for their crawfish boudin as much but it's worth ordering if you have a hankering for boudin and a great crowd pleaser during the holidays. Their Andouille is ground at different levels and some of it kinda coarse, you'll see big chunks of pork in there, it's quite good has some ass to it.

Any suggestions for korean cookbooks?
My old chef is a Korean man and was a chef at Eleven Madison Park back in the day when it still had three stars pre vegan. He recommended My Korea: Traditional Flavors, Modern Recipes when I asked for resources on making Kimchi. I have since gotten the book and reverenced it a few times for work. It has some great explanations of staples and culture of Korean cooking.

The guy who wrote it also has the only stared Korean restaurant in the USA.

Lulu's Provencal Table is a stone-cold classic. A beautiful evocation of time and place, and a fitting tribute to one of the great wine domaines of France, and its charismatic matriarch. OFM’s classic cookbooks: Lulu’s Provençal Table by Richard Olney

I couldn't agree more about this book...

I'm incredibly picky with coookbooks and recipes, and well most everything...

I've NEVER bookmarked more than a dozen pages in an entire cookbook..

In Lulus Provencial Table I must have marked near 40...

20240215_205727.jpg

In my top 10, easy

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more about this book...

I'm incredibly picky with coookbooks and recipes, and well most everything...

I've NEVER bookmarked more than a dozen pages in an entire cookbook..

In Lulus Provencial Table I must have marked near 40...

View attachment 300797

In my top 10, easy
Two different cookbooks from two different very famous authors from the same era, both with the same title, both also about the food of Provence. If I had to choose I’d tell a story about picking my favorite child…

Verge is more restaurany, Johnson is more home cook
image.jpg
image.jpg

3 Michelin star chef David Kinch of Manresa decided to sell a massive amount of his cookbook library just recently down in Santa Cruz and I was the first in line and when they opened you had to act fast. I was able to buy 3 of the most interesting ones, the out of print, first edition Un Dia en El Bulli, gifted and autographed by Ferran Adria with an inscription to David, that David also signed for me. I went ahead and bought an English version elsewhere as well so I could actually read it.

The second two books are from Thomas Keller with personal inscriptions and even a family Christmas card.

So I’ve got a lot of homework to do and a lot of reading.

IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0600.png

3 Michelin star chef David Kinch of Manresa decided to sell a massive amount of his cookbook library just recently down in Santa Cruz and I was the first in line and when they opened you had to act fast. I was able to buy 3 of the most interesting ones, the out of print, first edition Un Dia en El Bulli, gifted and autographed by Ferran Adria with an inscription to David, that David also signed for me. I went ahead and bought an English version elsewhere as well so I could actually read it.

The second two books are from Thomas Keller with personal inscriptions and even a family Christmas card.

So I’ve got a lot of homework to do and a lot of reading.

View attachment 301151View attachment 301152View attachment 301153
Tom, you should change your name to David!

3 Michelin star chef David Kinch of Manresa decided to sell a massive amount of his cookbook library just recently down in Santa Cruz and...
Do you work in the industry? I wanted to go to this, but I had to work

Do you work in the industry? I wanted to go to this, but I had to work
No, just a hobbyist who saw it on social media.

Thomas Keller has some incredible penmanship.

Got the "Core by Clare Smyth" cookbook.

1) It's absolutely beautiful

2) It really makes you realise what goes into their dishes and why they are so amazing despite being so (deceptively) simple

Back