favorite people to watch sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
98% of the movement of the knife comes from the hand you have on the handle, despite what people say. You gotta lock your wrist, have most of the movement come from the shoulder, some from the elbow. A lot of the angle control comes from your handle hand, too, with a bit of a guide coming from the pressure from your other hand.

I kind off suspected this, but thanks for the confirmation.
I will give it a try, rotating the stone a bit to see what it does for me.

usually I try to control the angle and pressure with the hand on the blade. The hand on the handle does only back and forth moves. That way I keep focused on one hand only.
Anyway different techniques give many sharp blades..!

I do the opposite. I switch hands, but the edge always faces me. I think edge always facing you allows you to use more pressure (when necessary) without stressing your body as much, since you can press sort of down and away from you, instead of wrapping your fingers over to the other side of the knife and pressing down and toward you, which I find awkward. Also, it's nice that the edge is more visible when it's facing you. I feel like I might end up extending my back too much to get over the knife if the edge was always facing away.

But whatever, I'm sure it works fine for him.

for someone like myself who isn’t a proficient sharpener and I find issues with every which way I sharpen. I need to try this.

I typically find that switching hands feels best for me like Ken Schwartz does. But my issue there is applying pressure like you said.

Im curious to see a video of you sharpen because my
First impression is I’d have some serious wobble adjusting this way. Though I could see the pressure and angle consistency’s amended.

I’ll have to try and report back.

for someone like myself who isn’t a proficient sharpener and I find issues with every which way I sharpen. I need to try this.

I typically find that switching hands feels best for me like Ken Schwartz does. But my issue there is applying pressure like you said.

Im curious to see a video of you sharpen because my
First impression is I’d have some serious wobble adjusting this way. Though I could see the pressure and angle consistency’s amended.

I’ll have to try and report back.

Practice that wobble. You can sharpen, thin and do that blend thing all in the same stroke!

:cool:

I dont know.

Learning the basics, it doensnt really matter who you watch. The basics of sharpening are very easy and simple and get explained in more of the same way by all the videomakers. Mastering it is hard, and watching a video doesnt help you with that. The thing is also, there are multiple ways to do it and none of them is really wrong. Try out what you see i guess and make up what style you want to follow.

Most videos are helpfull if you want a solution for a special kind of problem or knife.
There are plenty of bad ways to sharpen, and knowing wheat from chaff is harder as a beginner. Have you ever heard of a very vocal dude named Cliff Stamp? Not who you want as your first instructor.

Edit: sorry didn't realize this was already addressed.

Last edited:
This
I do the opposite. I switch hands, but the edge always faces me. I think edge always facing you allows you to use more pressure (when necessary) without stressing your body as much, since you can press sort of down and away from you, instead of wrapping your fingers over to the other side of the knife and pressing down and toward you, which I find awkward. Also, it's nice that the edge is more visible when it's facing you. I feel like I might end up extending my back too much to get over the knife if the edge was always facing away.

But whatever, I'm sure it works fine for him.
This is how I do it. I wish I could do it all right handed but I get better results going wrong handed. Confuses the **** out of me but there you go. It was a PDX Knife House tip and I like it. Don't agree with their over stropping habits but that's just me.

You guys take the bait so beautifully… 😈

IMG-20201028-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:
I really like MrEdgy on YT.
I've seen him referenced as the sharpener(Jason Bosman) in some of Larrin's articles on edge testing.
Jason is a good sharpener, he didn't do the sharpening for Larrin's giant CATRA project with over 50 different steels. Jason was a sharpener for a previous study that was done with another group that Larrin wrote an article about prior to the Big CATRA test.

Jason is a good sharpener, he didn't do the sharpening for Larrin's giant CATRA project with over 50 different steels. Jason was a sharpener for a previous study that was done with another group that Larrin wrote an article about prior to the Big CATRA test.
Thanks for the clarification. I just remembered seeing his name in an article on knifesteelnerds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC-cvUqhuR--z1uUAXqMzaw/videos
Michael Christy on youtube - not kitchen knives, but he free hand sharpens EDC knives like no one I've ever seen. Talks about the steel, tests and compares. It's fascinating.

Love his videos. He's kind of amazing. I'm a Spyderco fan, and most of what he sharpens are Spydercos (they have a great variety of steels to try, and the oddball leaf-shaped, holed blades seem really natural once you start using them). And he routinely gets them to whittle hair. It's his idea of "sharp."

If I were trying for that, I'd be super gentle with everything, but he seems to put plenty of force into his sharpening. Also, he reorients his sharpening to the bevel by using the tip, which is about the last place I'd try. I'd love to ask him why that works best for him.

I don't know whether normals could learn to do what he does, the way he does it, or whether he's just got a freakish level of the specific talents you need to sharpen like that. But I really enjoy his videos.

Michael Christy is excellent and well beyond my capabilities. I not only appreciate his skills but his discussion. He is very much "next level". But then, @Deadboxhero is another level again. Sharpening and making, Shawn understands the steels, the geometries, and the edges on a Jedi level. :D

Exhibit A:

Sorry, I forgot about this.

Hi Ian, I'd like to ask how do you rate the Suehiro sink bridge? I'm looking to get one myself as the Naniwa costs twice as much..I also see there's a slight bend on your sink bridge. Is that normal? thanks.

Hi Ian, I'd like to ask how do you rate the Suehiro sink bridge? I'm looking to get one myself as the Naniwa costs twice as much..I also see there's a slight bend on your sink bridge. Is that normal? thanks.

Yea, the bend was from when I was wailing on a Gesshin 3000 s&g for like an hour with an Atoma trying to break through the initial crappy layer. Too much pressure, and it bent. Probably it would be fine if you were careful not to put that much body weight into it. I got impatient and paid the price.

Tbh, I just threw that bridge in the trash a couple days ago (because of the bend) and am now waiting for the polyurethane coating to cure on a 2x4 sink bridge that I built. I’d want that kind of bridge if I was traveling or sharpening in places with different size sinks, but if you always sharpen in the same place a 2x4 setup is fine.

What's everyone's beef with him? Idk anything about him.

He’s a big part of why we’re here and for the breakdown of ITK.

It’s one of those you gotta have been there to appreciate it things.

The swear filter on his name has gone now though....

This is more of a knife repair video than just a sharpening video but I enjoy watching his videos from time to time.

Back