Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the buyer. If I’m selling here, I’ll take off cash for every gram of metal I remove. If you’re just restoring some vintage $30 blade and selling on ebay, though, I could see charging for the improvement, since the buyer wouldn’t be likely to be able to do it themselves.

I really enjoy restoring blades and replacing handles on old eBay findings. But it’s really bad economy wise. I gift many. The times I put them up for auction it’s almost always an anti-flipping affair. I’m lucky if I get back the amount money spent on the knife, shipping and vat.

Last edited:
Don’t worry, at some point I will clean it up a bit, ban a few, have a beer ... and repeat the process :cool:
Make sure you have an extra beer or two before you start banning people. It loosens the index finger for the mouse clicks, while simultaneously sedating any pangs of bad conscience… :)

I really enjoy restoring blades and replacing handles on old eBay findings. But it’s really bad economy wise. I gift many. The times I put them up for auction it’s almost always an anti-flipping affair. I’m lucky if I get back the amount money spent on the knife, shipping and vat.

I also did that a couple times on eBay. Lost money with every restoration. Part of the problem is that the restorations I did weren’t a complete visual overhaul, eg a rehandle, so it was hard to sell the improvements online.

I also did that a couple times on eBay. Lost money with every restoration. Part of the problem is that the restorations I did weren’t a complete visual overhaul, eg a rehandle, so it was hard to sell the improvements online.

That's why I just give away my restorations. It works out well with the wife. She doesn't complain about my purchases as long as I have stuff ready when she wants to give gifts to people.

Yea, that’s really smart. So far, I’ve only restored old dirty carbon, though, which isn’t really giftable to most people I know. (Or maybe I’m underestimating them.) Gotta do some stainless at some point, I suppose.

The things we do... misdirected kindness or self-deluded selfishness. [emoji848] Or maybe it’s just a way to make the time pass.

83075904_2408453706073633_2850924666028032000_n.png

He knows :D :D :D

honestly to asking everyone here !

People got the kato few years ago for around $400 , turn out now they are selling it for over 1k , is that a big flipping around ?

If that is not count , I m going to sell my old old kato yanagiba 300mm over here

Attachments

• 360030A3-9823-422D-B2D7-8A64F6B1A7EF.jpeg
    360030A3-9823-422D-B2D7-8A64F6B1A7EF.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 109
Back