Food Release: Stiction and the Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never claimed he did.
The situation is interesting though, from the point of view of this thread.

No you did not and nor was it my intention to suggest that. He might indeed have picked that name in this thread - what’s wrong with it?

I think I must have misunderstood you in the first place. Sorry for that. Let me re-read the relevant posts.

My ideal knife is a grind somewhere between work horse & work pony. I am naming it the “work hoony” grind, don’t let anyone take the credit away from me

My ideal knife is a grind somewhere between work horse & work pony. I am naming it the “work hoony” grind, don’t let anyone take the credit away from me
The Fat Pony
fat-horse-and-jockey.jpg

It's definitely catching on in general use. I see it a lot these days, and it's use isn't restricted to my stuff either.

Uh-oh... :confused:
It seems another maker has found this thread, he even calls it a hook grind.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gl81ZHMv2/

Imitation truly is the purest form of flattery. He is either naive or devious. All I know is the my Fishhook grind 240 is one my most cherished knife. I ordered it out of curiosity, it went into the keeper pile after 2-3 minutes of use.

Uh-oh... :confused:
It seems another maker has found this thread, he even calls it a hook grind.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gl81ZHMv2/

A little background to his: At the big EU knife meeting in Amstetten I showed him the Version you made for MB and he was really intrigued on how you did it, since he couldnt figure it out for weeks or even months. He was very impressed by the execution and perfection of the Hook and knife in general I guess. As we visited his shop the day after he showed us how he thinks you do it on the belt and how he always wanted to make a concept knife from it to try to improve on his S-Grind. Ben really is a honest nice guy and I dont think he has any bad intentions or means anything wrong by it. Anywayn, I will shoot him a message letting him know about how you feel about it :)

A little background to his: At the big EU knife meeting in Amstetten I showed him the Version you made for MB and he was really intrigued on how you did it, since he couldnt figure it out for weeks or even months. He was very impressed by the execution and perfection of the Hook and knife in general I guess. As we visited his shop the day after he showed us how he thinks you do it on the belt and how he always wanted to make a concept knife from it to try to improve on his S-Grind. Ben really is a honest nice guy and I dont think he has any bad intentions or means anything wrong by it. Anywayn, I will shoot him a message letting him know about how you feel about it :)
I'm not sure if you understand how I actually feel about it - I haven't made my thoughts clear in this thread yet. In fact, I'm guessing some people misinterpreted the "Uh oh" as an "Oh no".

I don't mind him trying it at all. The truth is, if he had simply asked me how to do it, I would've told him. Hell, I even explained how to do it earlier in this thread - but that could take all the fun out of him trying to reverse engineer it.
I would've liked it if he had mentioned my work and research, but it wasn't a requirement by any stretch... All makers copy certain aspects off previous works.

I enjoyed creating something new and documenting the progression in this thread. It was a blank slate when I started out, I had no idea if I'd end up with something viable. The idea that I've made something worth copying is pretty cool, and honestly if it worked efficiently it was never going to be something I could keep to myself. It would be foolish of me to think otherwise.

The "Uh oh" was simply my thinking out loud - My work has grown up and moved out of home: this thread to be more precise. Further enhancements or modifications might occur and never make it back to this forum.
I'm happy Ben called it a by it's name - the hook grind. If he called it something else I would've been annoyed, simply because terms that overlap in meaning create confusion.

Everyone knows the most common food release grind, the one pictured below. Can anyone tell me what it's called, and who the first person to do it was? I sure don't know.
31880319mo.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I didn't intend to offend someone by not mentioning names. I'll try to explain what happened so you understand my point of view:

Like @Kozuka said, I saw @Kippington's work in person at an KMS forums meeting in Austria. I was always wondering how he does this kind of grind, always wondering about it's performance and of course always curious to do it myself.
I never found the time until I had a messed up S-grind blank and just started to do what I thought was necessary to achieve this grind and it worked out.
I guess at least... looking just at the performance and not F&f of course. It's a prototype after all.

Now there's no secret where I got my inspiration from. It clearly was from kippington and I'm not shy in stating so!
I have to be clear though - I never asked how he does it nor did he tell me on his own. I also didn't watch any videos or something like that if there even exist any, and I also don't know if he is the first who did that grind nor if he does it like I do.

IMHO it's different after all as it's not a hook grind but an "s-hook grind". (In my opinion also the food holding side is important for the performance of a knife and therefore food release on the food holding side is important too.)

I hope you see why I had a problem to say thank you but then again real clear - the inspiration came from kippingtons knives.
If the majority here thinks it's a bad thing to not mentioning him then I can always do that if I ever finish such a knife. I really don't mean to do anyone any harm nor do I intend to be seen as a copycat. After all I always try to advance stuff and except for the similar concepts it's somewhat different from what kippington does. Don't you think?

Regards

Benjamin

Back