Food Release: Stiction and the Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah its all good, the "hook" was still in there! :D
I have to be clear though - I never asked how he does it nor did he tell me on his own. I also didn't watch any videos or something like that if there even exist any, and I also don't know if he is the first who did that grind nor if he does it like I do.
If you're interested, the entire history of its creation is pretty much documented here in this thread.

And I thought about it right now. I'll just mention you as soon as I got something finished. Don't want to be seen as the originator of this idea and I took the inspiration from you which I'm not afraid to state. Sry for not mentioning you in the first place.

Regards

Benjamin

And I thought about it right now. I'll just mention you as soon as I got something finished. Don't want to be seen as the originator of this idea and I took the inspiration from you which I'm not afraid to state. Sry for not mentioning you in the first place.
Cheers!

Good luck working out how to polish the bastard! :pullinghair:

Wow this thread is suddenly lively. I personally love that this grind ideal is being explored, who knows what mutant babies Will be norm?

What do you guys think of the longevity of these grinds? For most of us here not an issue since we have a million knives and never really change the profile and height much. For a main knife for a pro though, every time you sharpen a hook grind, you make the hook less pronounced since I assume you sharpen the hook side as a short wide bevel.

I guess you can eventually grind out a hook grind as you can grind out an S-grind @Barmoley but the knife won't be defect then. It will just be a "normal" convex (or whatever) ground knife then.

About how long this will take in professional use it strongly depending on the user I'd say.

It essentially depends on the height of the hook (and obviously how much steel you grind away).

The higher the hook, the less food release benefit, so there is a definite tradeoff between longevity of the grind and food release in this grind.

Last edited:
It essentially depends on the height of the hook (and obviously how much steel you grind away).

The higher the hook, the less food release benefit, so there is a definite tradeoff between longevity of the grind and food release in this grind.
Spot on.
All the hook grinds I've made so far have had to take this into consideration. I've never made one that was designed for performance alone, there's always the element of longevity / life span which decreases the food release.
I mentioned this briefly two years ago, when I posted this picture:
The height of the step has a huge effect on the efficiency of food release. The lower I make it, the better the release while also decreasing its ease of thinning.
FHfYbUl.png

An interesting side effect of this is that as you sharpen the knife over time, the hook actually becomes more effective, until the point you reach the step.
The one Kamon made has a much lower step than what I've been doing (about half the height) allowing it to out-perform mine, but at the cost of the effective lifespan of the hook. It doesn't matter though because he was making a prototype.

On a related note - If I make a passaround for this forum, do I go all out and grind it for performance alone or do I go for a more realistic lifespan model? You gotta admit, it would be fun to mess around with maxed out performance if you didn't need to worry about the keeping and maintaining of the knife... it would be a tad unrealistic though.

Last edited:
For a pass-around, I think a middle-of-the-road version would be best. Most people will never have used such a knife before; something that doesn’t over-emphasize one aspect would make the most balanced impression.

Double the hook, problem solved :p jk

Might be a joke, but would IT be possible in theory? A Hook with a hook above ready for action when the blade is thinned enough?

Quadroble Hook grind? Just think of the polishing the Maker would enjoy

It's possible to make the thing with multiple ridges, but it would look bloody ridiculous! I'd call it a "gill" knife.
fac5c31015e3cf7863eaa5423253d84d--facts-about-whales-fun-facts-about.jpg

I swear I've seen a knife out there with multiple ridges, but I'm not even going to try find the picture again.
Polishing it would take 90% of the time to make... :pullinghair:

It's possible to make the thing with multiple ridges, but it would look bloody ridiculous! I'd call it a "gill" knife.
fac5c31015e3cf7863eaa5423253d84d--facts-about-whales-fun-facts-about.jpg

I swear I've seen a knife out there with multiple ridges, but I'm not even going to try find the picture again.
Polishing it would take 90% of the time to make... :pullinghair:
Xerxes did one (middle). I think technically it is a Z-Z-Z-Z-grind.
attachment.php

That's nuts. I have no idea how he did that...
The one on the left looks like it was knapped, like they do with flint.
Percussion_17.jpg

You just need one of those fancy micro-abrasive blasting machines... what could go wrong :D

Both the normal Hook and the Xerxes "Hook" i guess. Just curious

Back