Food Release: Stiction and the Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that most of Kippington's low alloy knives were differentially hardened, as it makes them easier to straighten.

From memory, 52100 is a good steel for hook grinds because it is a little more hardenable than simpler steels like 1095. 52100 doesn’t show a hamon very well.

If I'm correct in my memory about this, then yes, they are available in differentially hardened. But no, not with a hamon.
I think that's Shi.Han, tho I never see ShiHan and Kippington together so...

I never see ShiHan and Kippington together so...
It's illegal.

I know Mert has done 52100 with hamon before. I've personally never tried.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18002665900154790/?hl=en
If I'm correct in my memory about this, then yes, they are available in differentially hardened. But no, not with a hamon.

nerd-ackchyually.gif

The term "differentially hardened" could technically cover a differential temper, even if the quench was done uniformly beforehand. In which case... this means all my 52100 knives are differentially hardened - Hooray! 😅

The term "differentially hardened" could technically cover a differential temper, even if the quench was done uniformly beforehand. In which case... this means all my 52100 knives are differentially hardened - Hooray! 😅
So they are differently tempered rather than differentially hardened during quenching?

Hi all,

Thanks to @Kippington support, i finally managed to finish a stainless steel knife that i'm happy enough to show you.
It is a 22cm long gyuto, 14c28n stainless steel at 59hrc (theoretically, not measured), 2.5mm thick at the spine, 400grit handsand finish, wa-d handle made of ironwood.
Hook+chevrons grind, + concave grind on the other side.

Cheers !

DSC09649.JPG
DSC09656.JPG
DSC09651.JPG
DSC09650.JPG

Really nice work!

I like that it's got your own twist to it, looks noticeably different from mine, but still a hook grind without a doubt.

I was talking about the man he talks about who makes hook grind knives.
But anyways, thanks for these info ;)
Tobias Hangler? He's an Austrian blacksmith, and one of the men behine ApexUltra steel, I don't think he's on KKF personally, but some of his Austrian colleagues are, like @KAMON Knives mentioned in the video.

I was talking about the man he talks about who makes hook grind knives.
But anyways, thanks for these info ;)

Oh that’s Kamon.

I'm not sure if you guys are joking or serious. Ignore this if you were joking.

For complete disambiguation, this whole thread began as Kippington's search for a great (I hesitate to say "perfect", because there is no perfect knife) food release grind. This resulted in him developing the Hook Grind.

Do go back and read the whole thread if you haven't- you will learn quite a bit about how it was developed and why it works.

I guess it's possible that Kamon came up with it independently but as far as I am aware, Kippington's is the OG Hook Grind (originally coined "Fish Hook" IIRC).

I'm not sure if you guys are joking or serious. Ignore this if you were joking.

For complete disambiguation, this whole thread began as Kippington's search for a great (I hesitate to say "perfect", because there is no perfect knife) food release grind. This resulted in him developing the Hook Grind.

Do go back and read the whole thread if you haven't- you will learn quite a bit about how it was developed and why it works.

I guess it's possible that Kamon came up with it independently but as far as I am aware, Kippington's is the OG Hook Grind (originally coined "Fish Hook" IIRC).
We were referring to the video posted where Tobias using Kamon as an example, I know Jules came up with it first.

Do we know how many makers do the hook grind ?
-kippington
-kamon
-me (Guiraud)
-others ? @Kippington, how many people contacted you ?

(this question is only out of curiosity ;))

Really nice work!

I like that it's got your own twist to it, looks noticeably different from mine, but still a hook grind without a doubt.
I'm wanting to eventually do something inspired by this. Not sure what yet, but ever since seeing the grind its been in my mind.

Do we know how many makers do the hook grind ?
-kippington
-kamon
-me (Guiraud)
-others ? @Kippington, how many people contacted you ?

(this question is only out of curiosity ;))

Not sure of the exact number of people that have taken inspiration from the hook grind, but here's a collection of posts I saved from Instagram that look related:

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Thanks,
Great to see each person's own version of food release grind.
Performance wise apart, some are just gorgeous !!

Latest posts

Back