Functionality of 360mm+ slicers(sujihki and yanagi/takohiki/fuguhiki/other sytles of yanagi)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So I was looking at some longer slicers(mainly yanagi in the 390mm+ range) and began to question although cool do they really offer much benefit if any for cutting sashimi, I imagine using a 450mm sakimaru would be a daunting task. So does anyone here actually use or know anyone that uses a longer slicing blade and is it actually functional, my current longest is a Butch Harner at +/- 330mm and even that can be a headache to use, especially in a pro environment. I will say this... they do look cool.

What are you slicing? Elephants? Mink whales?

Somebody on here has a 400mm Raquin suji. Perhaps they could chime in on its use, but I can tell you it is one of the knives that I am truly envious of even though I would not have a use for it. I do have a 360mm Genkai Masakuni but I'm making a handle for it now and have not used it yet.

Yeah I can imagine that... I only have a 270 and it's already obvious that for larger chunks of meat more length would be better. But at 390 or 450 we're not talking knives, we're talking shortswords! :D
But who knows... I haven't tried it, maybe it works? Regardless of utility it looks absolutely badass.

I always though the monster blades are
fish market knives, not 'sushi' knives.

I have an irrational desire for the 360mm Misono dragons. Both the suji and the gyuto.

No use for them at all.

Yeah I can imagine that... I only have a 270 and it's already obvious that for larger chunks of meat more length would be better. But at 390 or 450 we're not talking knives, we're talking shortswords! :D
But who knows... I haven't tried it, maybe it works? Regardless of utility it looks absolutely badass.

Like a maguro knife I understand, but I don't think those guys are using a 450mm honyaki sakimaru for anything. I see them pop up and I'm always just like ... Why though.

I have an irrational desire for the 360mm Misono dragons. Both the suji and the gyuto.

No use for them at all.

Me to. Tanner has a rehandled gyuto and the thing is stupidly stunning. I could use the Suji no issue, a gyuto at 360 x 60 seems like it would be a pain to use especially on lateral cuts.

No use for them at all.

Me too, the gyuto might be one of my next purchases. I seriously considered the 390mm Masamoto HC for $200 more because it seems to be the only one out there, and there is precedent for a 14 inch chef knife. As for using a giant slicer though, I don’t know anything beyond “sounds/looks cool.”

Makes me think of this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical

No use for them at all.

Me to. Tanner has a rehandled gyuto and the thing is stupidly stunning. I could use the Suji no issue, a gyuto at 360 x 60 seems like it would be a pain to use especially on lateral cuts.

Yep the 360mm dragon gyuto is a beast, I think it's actually closer to 70mm at the heel. Haven't actually used the thing but that may change, as I'm parting ways with the smaller 300mm dragon gyuto shortly

I also have the Misono 360mm bread knife and Sakai Takayuki 480mm castella cake knife… giant cake knife has actually seen some use too

Yep the 360mm dragon gyuto is a beast, I think it's actually closer to 70mm at the heel. Haven't actually used the thing but that may change, as I'm parting ways with the smaller 300mm dragon gyuto shortly

I also have the Misono 360mm bread knife and Sakai Takayuki 480mm castella cake knife… giant cake knife has actually seen some use too

The cake knife I actually get. Heck even the bread knife I get. A 360 gyuto is hilarious. Do a instagram video with it tonight, the old kid needs some use.

Had 12" Forschner & several 270mm japan gyuto's. For gyuto 240mm for most work, a nimble functional knife. Kind of like a light short wheelbase motorcycle very functional and a chopper with fat tire on the back and stretched out forks. Only good for looks laying back and going in a straight line.

Not sure if I'll get to it tonight, but I'll tag you when/if I do… maybe put it up against a garlic clove haha

Fine brunoise of garlic, doing that with a 360 x 70 gyuto would impressed the heck out of me. I'll keep an eye out for the video.

Had 12" Forschner & several 270mm japan gyuto's. For gyuto 240mm for most work, a nimble functional knife. Kind of like a light short wheelbase motorcycle very functional and a chopper with fat tire on the back and stretched out forks. Only good for looks laying back and going in a straight line.

That's basically where I'm at with this all, I can weird a 270 with pretty decent finesse but a lot of guys especially those who play in the 8 inch 210mm range really struggle with it. That's basically where I'm at with super large blades. They look good, but I'm questioning their functionality in the long run.

I always though the monster blades are
fish market knives, not 'sushi' knives.

I tend to agree. Lots of videos of Japanese using 360mm+ knives on YouTube. In the western world I imagine very few people can justify owning a knife this large. For some people, it's an essential everyday tool.

[video=youtube;3s5GCbuMYIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5GCbuMYIs[/video]​

There are definitely specific occasions where longer blades give better results, but they are also harder to use the longer they get. Cutting sections of bluefin tuna such as Jabara (the inside edge strip of the belly toro) is much easier with a very long knife. I don’t slice a lot of meat (non fish) with yanagiba but I assume length would be even more important there as the muscle fibers are so much tougher.

Need one!!!

Tsukiji-tuna-knives12.jpg

I have a 360mm dragon suji and my old chef had the gyuto so I have used both. The gyuto to me is a bit more functional, as the suji is a little "whippy" if you will, it flexes more than I care for. But at the same time is a fun knife to play with and reasonably priced. YMMV

I used to use my 390 yanagi for prime rib. (Among other things.) It's nice to just make one draw with the knife. I no longer use it. They don't make them anymore and is now considered a collector's knife.

Back